Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

South Mountain State Park Report

May 11 I arrive in South Mountain State Park about 9am. I start my trip by fishing until about 1pm. This is when my backpacking trip started. I registered to camp at Upper Falls campsite. I started out on the HQ trail and stopped at Shinny Creek campsites shortly after to have lunch. What is this? Outhouse, Food lockers, chopped firewood ( a bunch) and picnic tables? Wow what a campsite for a 1.2 mile hike. Excellent spot to introduce the not so fit to backpacking. I continued on to the HQ trail until it branches off to the Shinny Creed Trail. I hike this trial's entire length. I always enjoy hiking but the views were limited here. Don't get wrong, any day in the woods is fun. This trail had a lot of ups and downs, some steep. This trail ended at the Upper Falls Trail. I went ahead and checked out Jacob Branch sites. OK I guess. I then proceeded to my destination at Upper Falls Campsites. On the way I checked out the Upper Falls side trip hike. WOW! Cool falls and slippery steps when wet. I got the bruises to prove it! Took some pics and headed to camp. I setup and had my dinner. Oh yeah, Outhouse, picnic tables, fire ring, loads of chopped fire wood, food lockers, and a nice creek were all here. Its like 5 star backpacking kinda. A raccoon snuck up on me (withing 8ft) at my campfire. No wonder for the food lockers, huh. Temps bottomed at 41. I had a ridge-rest and a 40 deg. Marmot bag. I was pushing it, slightly chilled but still able to get some good sleep. May 12. Woke up chilled, packed up back to my car. Total mileage 11.9 miles. After getting to my car... Off to Stone Mountain State Park NC< Here are some pics of South Mountain Park.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carolinahammockhanger; 05-13-2009 at 21:02.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

more pics

here ya go! Hope ya enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice report. Thanks!
    Yeah, it is a nice place to get away, even though the big views are limited.
    I tell people, it's kinda between car camping & backpacking because of the tables, fire rings & wood, & the out houses<G>.

And those raccoons are bold there! I've seen a destroyed food bag there & once I came back to my camp after visiting folks in a near by camp, to catch a coon dragging my pack toward the creek bank
    After i ran him across the creek, he just sat there watching me
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    this explains why this was the first racoon that I've seen that was hard to "shu" away. I also discovered on this trip that I can fit my backpack in the foot end of my hammock, using the lifting strap to attache to the carabiner and the waistbelt aroung the bottom of the hammock. It was like a perfect fit. And thats in a eno single nest!

• + New Posts