WBBB 1.7DL, GT SBpro
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine is a camper(car). Shes thinks she wouldn't be comfortable sleeping in a hammock, and she is also afraid she will fall out onto to ground. I have gotten her to lay in it for short periods though. I just need to keep hammering away. Maybe next time we go camping I will forget the tent and just happen to have an extra hammock.
    Last edited by troutfisher; 01-09-2014 at 16:10. Reason: accidently posted before finishing

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    I took my wife to a nearby creek and set up my rig. I got her into it and let her take a short nap while I fiddled with the tarp. A couple more "nap trips" and she was ready for an overnighter. We hang together under the same tarp with a head-to-foot arrangement so she can see me and talk if she needs to. A big +1 on being the expert and remember to always bring toilet paper and M&Ms along.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    its all about the food and fire for my wife. She liked the outdoors just enough to go. I would say she is still on the fence with the hammock, but likes the overall experience.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I meet my wife on a camping trip back in the 70's. When I decided to get into hammocks I knew that if I could get her in to the swing of things (bad pun), it would be a lot easier to buy the gear. So I ordered a BB for her and was going to give it to her on her B'day. Then a few weeks before that we were in the back yard and she said it would nice if we had a hammock. Told her to wait a minute and brought out her hammock. Set it up for her and once got in it, she was asleep in a minute. After awhile she woke up and said this is so comfortable, can we take it on our next camping trip.... I knew she was hooked.

Picture is from her first time in her hammock
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I don't know, but when you find out will you let me know?!

We started out backpacking together over 20 years ago. My hubby has gotten a little more into creature comforts over the years, while I have started testing my limits a little more. We respect each other's differences. I would love to have him along, but I just accept it...
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BB
    Suspension
    eno pro
    Definately make it as comfortable as possible for a first timer. I made sure mine was full, comfortable and having fun the whole time. Go, do, learn
    Gone Hangin' and Phishin'

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My wife k we I bought a hammock for camping. When we got out to the campsite, I got it all set up, and she said it looked neat. I told her good cause it's yours! Then I set up mine. Now all five of us hang.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    Well let me give you a little back story on my girl. Her whole extended family is into the outdoors as far back as her great gandfather. They are deep into Maryland forestry. She has hunted (got a turkey last spring) and has done quite a bit of equestrian stuff when she was younger. This goes the same for her immediate family except for her grandmother and mother who are more the fancy parties and shopping type. Because of that her family never got started into camping although her dad has a good amount of gear.

She is definitely interested in camping, but she does have some tendencies for claustrophobia so I will have to tread lightly. She does love soft things and fireplaces/fires and some hiking. Just gotta do it right and I think it should work over time.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I love my wife. Quite a bit, actually.

Still, I've come to the conclusion that two things are just not going to happen: she's not going to want to come backpacking with me (though car camping where we have running water and electricity is fine), and she's never going to want to sleep in an hammock overnight (though afternoon naps are fine). The first is due to her wanting creature comforts that nature just doesn't provide. The second is due to her claustrophobia and arthrophobia (which makes the claustrophobia very difficult to overcome in FL in an hammock).

That's fine. We've got other things that we do together, and having some hobbies that aren't exactly the same is always good for a relationship (at least, it has been in my experience).

It hasn't been easy getting to that point (I'm stubborn and, more often than not, stupid where it comes to interpersonal relationships), but it's pretty much how things are going to be.

YMMV.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12