WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Thread failure with hammock seams anyone?

I'm slowly getting ready to start sewing my first hammock and have been reading up on threads. Gütermann seems to be the first choice for most, but does it really have to be a super-strong upholstery thread (Mara)? I would think that a normal polyester thread like the sew-all would be good enough. Am I wrong? Has anybody had seam failures due to a weak or bad quality thread?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    My experience has shown me a sharp needle (replace them often) and appropriate stitch length matters more than the thread itself.
    Polyester thread is usually recommended due to its resistance to stretch and rot. I use upholstery thread for my end channels, but I know users here who use regular poly thread and it works fine.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I would probably use a heavier thread for end channels unless you are planning to whip the ends of the hammock, which in that case, it wouldnt matter on thread type so much. For what its worth, I use Gutermann Sew-all (Mara) for most of my projects and basic polyester thread for all other projects that are not dependent on holding heavy loads. To date, no issues. Order yourself 2 or 3 rolls of it and you will be set for along time.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Standard polyester thread is fine for clothing because there's not usually a whole lot of stress on it. It's not something I'd use for something where you want no chance of failure due to stress - like my hammock.

I use regular poly thread for stuff sacks, quilts, etc. but turn to the good thread from DIY for tarps and hammocks and straps. It just performs outdoors and under higher stress loads so much better.

Oh and I used it for lock stitching on the amsteel as well!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, I was asking because it's a lot easier for me to get the standard Gütermann polyester thread sold as "sew-all". The Mara seems to be a speciality thread not meant for consumers but for businesses. At least that's what I got from the Gütermann website. Interestingly, I couldn't find a good source for the Mara thread in Germany - although Gütermann is a German manufacturer. The best offer I saw was in the UK :/ But I could buy the standard Gütermann poly thread in the shops.

I'm not sure if my hammocks will be channel end or whipped. If I use a channel, I would double or triple sew. I have never ever destroyed a seam - hence my question.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Although I use Mara 70, I would be fine using Gutermann Sew All for a hammock end channel. I would use 3 rows of stitching just as I do with the Mara 70.

Here's a link to some very un-scientific testing I did a while back on stitch strength on both threads and although the Sew All had just over half the strength of Mara 70, if you do the math on strength x number of stitches, you'll find a single row of Sew All should hold just fine.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never had problems with regular thread as long as it is high quality from a trusted vendor. Thread has a shelf life. Big box stores couldn't care less about that. But stores that cater to stitchers tend to be very picky about it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I use the Sew-All on the end channel, triple stitched and have had no problem - yet .

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Thread has a shelf life. Big box stores couldn't care less about that. But stores that cater to stitchers tend to be very picky about it.
    I came across this recently at the local 'sewing center' aka sewing machine dealership. Salesperson on hearing that I was starting to sew again after 10 years of inactivity; "Well, you need to get rid of all that old thread or you will have nothing but problems."
    Uh-huh..... And just behind that sales person was the rack of Guttermans at $3.50 per 100m spool.....
    What is the rationale behind this 'shelf life for thread' concept? I'm mystified. (and chemistry doesn't scare me, so fire away....)

I've got 20+ year old polyester thread (and uncoated nylon and polyester fabric) that's been stored in the dark in a dry, cool bin and it is all 'like new'. I still need scissors to sever the Mettler (now out of business) and Guttermans thread from years ago, and it sews fine.
    Maybe I'm 'just lucky' but I'm keeping the 'out-of-date thread' idea in the same file with 'your car's coolant and brake fluid are tired', for now.....

I am very very worried that my wife will be convinced that she needs to 'renew' her collection of yarn!!!!
    ;-)

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Tech 69 bonded left hand twist. Eddington thread is kinda stiff, A&E is a little softer. Coats is always the best IMO.
    http://www.thethreadexchange.com/
    Last edited by GT; 01-09-2014 at 20:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast