Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & UQ 20*
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES

Question new to Whoopie setup

well, first off my eyes have been opened to a whole new hammock world thanks to this site. I own a kammok too and love it. Or so I thought. I really only liked it because I used to go to church with the owner and I believe it is better than ENO, which before a week ago i though were the only main two camping hammock vendors. So while i was looking into the accessories they offer and became super discouraged by their extremely high prices, I found this site.

Anyways, after researching i want to get away from the kammok suspension and convert to the whoopee slings. I did have few questions first.

Has anyone ever had a negative aspect with the whoopie sling setup?
    Are there certain tree straps I should look into?
    Are all the slings the same or is there a certain type/brand I need to look into?
    Will the setup be just as easy as the carabiner setup?

Thank you all for your help. I look forward to supporting the cottage vendors in the future. I will have more questions on an under quilt and tarp but will post in the correct spot.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the Forums Brock.

Whoopies are still one of the most popular hammock suspensions. I don't know of a real negative to them. Though some folks just decide they don't like them for one reason or another.

For Tree straps you want to use Polyester webbing. Polyester will not stretch like Nylon and is available from most of the cottage shops that serve the community in the proper types and strengths.

All of the slings that are made by us cottage shops for hammocks are going to be very similar. There are whoopies used in other industries and those will not be appropriate but you would have to search for them pretty hard to find something not being made for hammock suspension at this point.

The set up is easy but not the same as clipping a carabiner to a loop on the pre made straps. Most folks can have it well in hand in just moments.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ^What Paul said plus here's a good place to start...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZ...1C2AA8&index=1

Welcome to HF

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Negatives for whoopee slings. They add a foot to each end of the hammock for the bury and spliced eye. One has to be careful to milk the bury so it will not slip. It needs to be clipped in or put over a knot like a marlinspike hitch. Most are made of one of the ultra high strength dyneema based ropes. Sampson Amsteel is popular but there are other brands. There is no "brand" as you can roll your own or pay one of the cottage suppliers to do it for you. There is an active discussion about how strong they need to be as that translates to size and weight.

The simplest suspension after the Python strap approach is the strap and buckle system.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG, AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Some folks will use a carabiner as the toggle in the marlinspike hitch. Using this approach would allow you to just clip the whoopie onto the carabiner, instead of "seating" it onto the knot behind the marlinspike toggle. I'm going to try it both ways to see what I like. I may use the carabiner approach for winter/cold season, and the "normal" toggle for summer/warm season. We'll see...
    *Formerly "kleinrider"; no longer own any Klein bikes, so figured a change was in order.

Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & UQ 20*
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    thanks for the info. really enjoying this site

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Brock311 - welcome to the site

I like the lightweight aspect of the whoopies & have recently put them on one of my hammocks.
    One concern I have is the whoopie comes in multiple parts and I'll be up the creek if I forget one at camp or at home. The webbing/cinch buckle system on my other hammock is permanently attached, so no chance I'll forget it.

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    need one
    Insulation
    TrailLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    One concern I have is the whoopie comes in multiple parts and I'll be up the creek if I forget one at camp or at home.
    I'm expecting delivery of my first set of whoopies today and will be converting my ENO double to a whoopie setup this week. I plan on packing everything - hammok, tree straps, toggles, tarp, and ridgline in a single stuff sack so that everything will always be together.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I just used amsteel whoopies with my new Freebird for the first time this weekend!

Basic set-up was easy and quick, take down was amazingly fast. Making the whoopies move up and down took a mere 3 seconds to figure out. And the marlinspike hitch was like second nature, after all the research I did here while deciding on a hammock.

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    need one
    Insulation
    TrailLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I just converted my ENO to whoopies yesterday but was left with one question - should I worry about the loose end (the pull for the adjustable loop) being pulled through the sling? Is there a foolproof method of preventing this other than being careful while adjusting the loop?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast