Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & UQ 20*
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES

Question Advice on a tarp

I am looking to buy my first tarp. the 3 i am thinking of getting are the HH hex, HH typhoon or the Warbonnet Superfly. Are having doors that beneficial? Do you use them if you have them or prefer to be more open. I am also looking at getting the goretex sock. Is it necessary to have the door option and the sock? Or are the doors just more of a pain and really only needed in very heavy rain?

Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I have a tarp with doors. I find them useful more as a wind break. I have never actually had rain blow in under my old hex tarp, but I was never out in seriously heavy weather with it either. If you are going to use a sock, then a tarp without doors should serve just fine. Actually, with a goretex sock, you may not need a tarp. I never used a sock, so those who have, please chime in.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, a goretex sock is more for extreme conditions where a tarp is likely to get blown off its stakes. Otherwise, its overkill.

Of those tarps you mention, I'd totally get the Superfly. The doors aren't too much of a pain to attach to the pull outs to keep them out of the way when not needed. You really don't need doors, though, with a sock. In that case, the BMJ would be good or any of the many other makes of standard hex tarps (over the HH).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Super Fly

I love my Super Fly. I've used the doors when hanging in the cold. Doubt rain would blow in even with the doors open. I also did a pole mode and connected with an S binner. You can clip the doors back to the tie out. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...=22221&catid=7

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I wouldn't be without the doors on my tarp. I use them to block wind and rain. I also use them for privacy purposes. The only time I don't need them is in the best weather out in the bush all by myself and that doesn't happen often enough...

Images
    I started with a HH Hex and loved it. Still have one and still love it. However, just went to a HG Cuben with doors for my personal tarp and I won't be going back. Love the doors and that I can use them or no. Go for the doors.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I wouldn't be without the doors on my tarp. I use them to block wind and rain. I also use them for privacy purposes. The only time I don't need them is in the best weather out in the bush all by myself and that doesn't happen often enough...
    +1
    Privacy, and...
    One blowing rainstorm ('horizontal rain') without full protection for your gear could ruin a nice trip .

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I have had a Superfly for almost exactly one year, and used it in every season. The only times I haven't used the doors are when I have a secluded campsite to myself in good weather, when I usually pitch it in porch mode... I'd say 80% of the times I use the doors and love them.

The doors are very versatile, just like the tarp. Every new site I'm finding new ways to rig them. Sometimes as a wind break, sometimes for privacy, sometimes for shade, sometimes just to give me that enclosed feel.

Some day I'd like to get an Edge for the fast and light summer trips, but if I could only have one (which is the case) then I'd have the Superfly (which is the case.)
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I can't speak about the HHS tarps but I do like my Superfly tarp. Being newer to hanging I would not want to be without the doors. While they may not be needed all of the time they do come in handy blocking the wind and occasional rainstorm. When they are not needed I just pull them back for the open feeling.

Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & UQ 20*
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Thank y'all. Superfly it shall be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast