Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    Yes, let us know how that works out. I was thinking about sewing 16 inch or so sleeves out of 1 1/2 or 2 inch and then running my 1 inch straps through that. I think Grand Trunk does something similar with their rope type tree straps. Your idea uses a single layer and is likely to be lighter than my idea, although sleeves would give you several options.

Sounds like cinch buckles in that size would be difficult to find and likely heavy unless Dutch makes them out of titanium in the future.
    I tried some sleeves over my 1" straps. Result was 1" of the center of the sleeves bearing all the pressure and the sides were not loaded. No real difference in the load on the tree.

Pappy

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    I tried some sleeves over my 1" straps. Result was 1" of the center of the sleeves bearing all the pressure and the sides were not loaded. No real difference in the load on the tree.

Pappy

That makes sense.
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    wouldn't 2" Polyester seatbelt webbing be lighter than 2" Polypropylene webbing?

one could fold corners of the 2" webbing and sew on 1"-1 1/2" webbing for the cinch buckle end... this would have the advantage of easily found hardware, and possibly less weight than a sleeve or full 2" wide webbing all the way to the hammock suspension...

similar to how this Israeli canvas suspenders is done; 2" wide webbing, end corners folded then sewn onto 1" webbing for the hardware

Last edited by CamoDeafie82; 01-11-2014 at 15:20.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Use 2" polypropylene webbing (instead of polyester) for the 2" section of a composite tree strap. It is considerably lighter and has an 1800 lb rating.
    Sounds like a great idea. May have to try that too to find the lightest way to do this.

Thanks,
    Pappy

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

2" Straps from ReadyStrap and a DIY

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this.

First let me say that Gary at RS made these straps to my specifications. He didn't suggest the makeup of theses straps. Hence, we don't hold him accountable for the weight of the first set of straps.

I contacted Gary at ReadyStrap and requested he make me some straps as follows:
    - 2 - 1500 lb 6 in. Camo QuickDraws with black buckles.
    - 2 - 7 ft lengths of 2 in. Black or Olive straps with 3 in. Loops sewn on one end. 6,000 lb would be good if you have it, otherwise 10,000 lb. Is OK.
    - 2 - 7 ft lengths of 1500 lb, 1 in. Camo straps, no loops, each with one end sewn to the unfinished end of one of the 2 in. straps.

Here is what we ended up with:

Beautiful Work!

But they were Very heavy.

These will be good for use with the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip that my wife uses once a year when we go spend a night with the grandkids.

So, I contacted Gary again and asked that he make me another set but with 3 ft (finished) lengths of 2" Seat Belt webbing and 7 feet of the same 1" camo poly straps.

Here is what we ended up with:

Half the weight

Much better but still heavier than I wanted. About this time I remembered a set of Hennessy 6 ft. Seat Belt straps I had tucked away. I cut them in half leaving a loop on one end of each. I then sewed 5 ft lengths of 1" camo webbing to them. I followed Gary's example by folding the sides of the SB straps over the 1" straps and sewing them down.

Hopefully Gary isn't ROTFL at my sewing!

Pretty Good!

So the straps as Gary made them but with a shorter 5 ft. piece of 1" camo strap aren't too bad weight wise.

So let's think about this:
    - In my experience, the average tree I tie to is around 12" in diameter. A 2" strap 36" long will be just about right to go all the way around the tree.
    - Two trees 15 ft. apart,
    - Buckle to buckle length of the hammock is around 10 ft.
    - The 5 ft. long 2" strap is mostly available to extend to the hammock and should be long enough.
    - A couple of 2 ft continuous loops would be wise in case extensions are ever needed.

So, there are my results and observations. What do you all think?

Pappy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    This reminded me about my earlier post on using polypropylene instead of polyester for the 2" webbing to save weight, so I made one today to give it a try.

4.5' - 2" polypropylene (1800 lb), 7' - 1" polyester (1500 lb) and some V92 polyester thread for a finished length of 9'-9" weighing 3.0oz.

IMG_4217 (Medium).JPG

The 2" polypropylene webbing is ~ 1/2 the weight of polyester seatbelt webbing and while it is considerably weaker, at 1800 lbs breaking strength, it is still stronger than the 1" 1500 lbs webbing.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    This reminded me about my earlier post on using polypropylene instead of polyester for the 2" webbing to save weight, so I made one today to give it a try.

4.5' - 2" polypropylene (1800 lb), 7' - 1" polyester (1500 lb) and some V92 polyester thread for a finished length of 9'-9" weighing 3.0oz.

IMG_4217 (Medium).JPG

The 2" polypropylene webbing is ~ 1/2 the weight of polyester seatbelt webbing and while it is considerably weaker, at 1800 lbs breaking strength, it is still stronger than the 1" 1500 lbs webbing.
    Very nice indeed. I will be looking into some of the polypropylene to further my testing. Your sewing is beautiful! When are you holding the first class?

Pappy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The polypropylene webbing is from Strapworks. It is described as having lower abrasion resistance than polyester so I don't expect it to hold up as long. My thought is that if I ever had to use 2" straps, I'd be happy to trade longevity for lighter weight.

Watching one of Gary's videos where he sewed a strap loop, made me embarrassed by the way mine looked so I picked up the contrasting thread and have been putting more care into it. I've got a ways to go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops

IMG_4217 (Medium).JPG

Nice work...that's what I'm going to do as well. Just ordered some of Dutch's new 1" webbing to sew into the 2" strap. Wish I could have found green like your 2", but had to settle for safety yellow from TSC. Oh, well...shouldn't lose them that way.
    Bill

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    The polypropylene webbing is from Strapworks. It is described as having lower abrasion resistance than polyester so I don't expect it to hold up as long. My thought is that if I ever had to use 2" straps, I'd be happy to trade longevity for lighter weight.

Watching one of Gary's videos where he sewed a strap loop, made me embarrassed by the way mine looked so I picked up the contrasting thread and have been putting more care into it. I've got a ways to go.
    I'll be pleased if my stitching turns out as well as what you did.
    Bill

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast