Warbonnet BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Singer 15-91 or...

... Necchi BF... or Necchi BU Mira Bobrina... or Singer 201-2... or Singer 301a... or Singer 327... or Necchi Supernova...?

I take it these are all "good" machines that with proper care will run for years and years. Since many of these machines are available on ebay, it looks like I could have my choice of any of them, as long as I am willing to pay the somewhat inflated prices. So, I am basically trying to sort them out. For example, the 15-91 are priced higher than the 201-2, which I don't understand.

I am guessing the "potted" motor machines will be stronger than a belt-driven? Are Singers from the 40s-50s are a better choice than the Singers from the 60s-70s? Is there any benefit to getting a Necchi over the Singers? Is an older Necchi better than a Supernova? How easy are any of these machines to service/restore myself? Are parts still available? (I'm not afraid to take things apart, but I am certainly not a mechanic.)

The machine will be used for hammocks, tarps, very limited clothing--like silnylon pants and a fleece vest, and some ultralight pack designs I am working up. I don't envision needing anything more fancy than a straight stitch with reverse, and possibly a zig zag (which I realize some of the above machines do, and some do not).

Thanks for any insights!
    Last edited by Crusader_USA; 01-11-2014 at 09:38.

If you are going to buy a machine on line, make sure the seller has a lot of experience shipping sewing machines. You cannot just drop them in a box with some peanuts and newspapers and expect them to arrive in one piece!

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader_USA View Post
    ... Necchi BF... or Necchi BU Mira Bobrina... or Singer 201-2... or Singer 301a... or Singer 327... or Necchi Supernova...?

I take it these are all "good" machines that with proper care will run for years and years. Since many of these machines are available on ebay, it looks like I could have my choice of any of them, as long as I am willing to pay the somewhat inflated prices. So, I am basically trying to sort them out. For example, the 15-91 are priced higher than the 201-2, which I don't understand.

I am guessing the "potted" motor machines will be stronger than a belt-driven? Are Singers from the 40s-50s are a better choice than the Singers from the 60s-70s? Is there any benefit to getting a Necchi over the Singers? Is an older Necchi better than a Supernova? How easy are any of these machines to service/restore myself? Are parts still available? (I'm not afraid to take things apart, but I am certainly not a mechanic.)

The machine will be used for hammocks, tarps, very limited clothing--like silnylon pants and a fleece vest, and some ultralight pack designs I am working up. I don't envision needing anything more fancy than a straight stitch with reverse, and possibly a zig zag (which I realize some of the above machines do, and some do not).

Thanks for any insights!
    For fleece I believe you need a zig-zag stitch since fleece stretches. Depending on if it is a 4-way stretch you may not be able to sew it at all with a straight-stitch machine. All the other projects you mention wanting to use it for only require a straight-stitch as far as I can tell.

Personally, the machine I want most is a Singer 503a. Does everything my current Brother machine does but my Brother machine has a cracked plastic gear that I fear will one day fall apart on me making the machine useless.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    Personally, the machine I want most is a Singer 503a. Does everything my current Brother machine does but my Brother machine has a cracked plastic gear that I fear will one day fall apart on me making the machine useless.
    This is exactly why I am looking for an older, all-metal machine. My current home machine is all plastic and there are a number of projects I have had where it just wasn't up to the task.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO buying from Ebay is buying a pig in a poke. Sometimes you will luck out. Sometimes you get shafted. The rest of the time you will get a machine that you have no way to test out and no history of or assurance that it is as advertised. My recommendation is to forget about brand and go to your local sewing machine repair shop and buy a used machine they have in stock. That way you get to talk to a knowledgeable person, try them out with fourteen layers of 1" webbing and have a warranty period to make sure everything is as it should be.

You might also check the "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others seem to have found it helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Rev!

I definitely read your guidelines before I started my search. My difficulty is that repair shops are few and far between in my area. Shops the towns around me focus on selling the new computerized machines, and after calling around a bit, some people have said, "yeah, I tuned up a 201 once... as I recall, they're pretty simple machines to work on." I haven't gotten the sense that there is much in the way of inventory of older machines.

It seems that craigslist or visits to the local goodwill & salvation army stores may be my only local options.

I just took a 201-2 that was totally froze up and completely rewired it, oiled it, cleaned the bobbin case and the upper tension with nothing but websites to guide me along. It wasn't that hard to do and there is a lot of information on these older machines available. It now sews like a ...well...sewing machine!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    If you are going to buy a machine on line, make sure the seller has a lot of experience shipping sewing machines. You cannot just drop them in a box with some peanuts and newspapers and expect them to arrive in one piece!
    +1000 - I won't even consider an ebay machine unless the seller has a long list of feedback commenting on well packed and successfully shipped sewing machines. What a conscientious person would think would be excellent packing for a sewing machine won't even start to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO buying from Ebay is buying a pig in a poke. Sometimes you will luck out. Sometimes you get shafted...

...My recommendation is to forget about brand and go to your local sewing machine repair shop and buy a used machine they have in stock...You might also check the "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others seem to have found it helpful.
    Another +1000

While I own and love several of the machines you mentioned, you better be ready and able to work on them yourself.

The older Necchi straight stitch and/or zig zag machines can be very good. If you can find one locally, use revs guidelines and give it a look see. Pass on the Supernovas (I have 3 of them and love them) unless you are very capable of working on complicated mechanisms. They have a finicky "automatica" mechanism that frequently is locked up tight from old varnished oil. If you know how to check out all the functions of the Supernova before buying, then it is a viable option. The Supernovas also have a plastic "worn gear" that controls stitch length and the reverse function. It is not unusual for these to break.

The Singer 201-2 and 15-91 are excellent straight stitch machines, but frequently need re-wired and the motor/gear housing cleaned out. Take a look at these directions and see if this looks like your cup of tea. If it is, than find one locally and skip the $35-$45 ebay shipping fee and likely damage.

I could be wrong, but I don't particularly feel the potted motors are more powerful.

The Singer 237 is one of the last models with all metal gears, has straight stitch and zig zag and is a strong candidate for gear making.

Bobbins, bobbin cases, needles and presser feet are available as new aftermarket parts for all of these machines. Any other replacement parts would have to come from a donor machine.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader_USA View Post
    ...It seems that craigslist or visits to the local goodwill & salvation army stores may be my only local options.
    And this is the way to go. With a little patience you can find many good machines at low prices.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO buying from Ebay is buying a pig in a poke. Sometimes you will luck out. Sometimes you get shafted. The rest of the time you will get a machine that you have no way to test out and no history of or assurance that it is as advertised. My recommendation is to forget about brand and go to your local sewing machine repair shop and buy a used machine they have in stock. That way you get to talk to a knowledgeable person, try them out with fourteen layers of 1" webbing and have a warranty period to make sure everything is as it should be.

You might also check the "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others seem to have found it helpful.
    I bought two machines on ebay for $2000. The ad said that they were in great condition, checked out by a certified technician and ready to go.

Before I could even use one I had to put about $500 into it and the other one took another $250 to get it running right.
    Unless you are willing to put more money into them, don't buy it. Unless you can drive on over and watch it run.
    Which by the way doesn't always work either because I bought a machine from a local who told me that I could see it run but when I got there she said that she just didn't have the time to set it up. I bought it and put another $200 into it before it ran right.
    I now just expect to get something that needs work every time no matter how good the ad say's it is.
    Try a local Craigs List.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast