Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Looks Like You Are On The Right Track

I completed a three day solo trip last week just below the rim. My sleep system was similar to yours. So I think you are probably on the right track. Although, I used a lighter pad than you are using. But, I was backpacking over a fairly long route.

As suggested by another, I think the larger tarp would be wise if you expect rain.

The only other thing I would comment on is that you might want to pay close attention to the clothing you will be sleeping in. You should probably be wearing at least a good set of insulating underwear, stocking cap, and socks that you feel will help your feet stay warm. Add to that according to whether or not you tend to sleep cold or warm.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear

Looks good, even with a smaller tarp

A tip with the self-inflating mat in the hammock: don't inflate it all the way. Slightly soft is the way to go for comfort. I've had success with a 1.5" Thermarest being warm enough (used with a 50F bag and extra blanket down to 37F.) My main issue with the inflatable pad in a gathered-end hammock has to do with the pad sliding around and pushing out of the hammock. If you can figure out a way to get the foot end to stay fixed in place, do so. (Velcro? Staples? Rivets? I don't know.)

As for the tarp, I've had good luck with an 8'x10', even closing the 'doors' on it. Hang your 'mock close to the ground, and the tarp close overhead and you'll have plenty of room. You may not be able to stand straight up, but you'll probably still have more headroom than in a normal 2-3 man tent!

Have a great weekend!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I"m back from my first official outdoor hamock camping experience. I had a great time, the weather was beautiful, the company great, and the gear worked out just fine. I had my JRB BMBH stung between two trees and used an REI 3.5'' pad in the pad pocket. I stayed plenty warm this way and the pad kept the shoulder squeeze problem down. In fact I didnt even notice it at all. I fell asleep on my side, as typical, and later moved to my back. I was far more comfortable in the hammock than I have been on the ground.

The tarp was a bit of an issue but this stems from my inexperience. I ended up taking a tarp I had on hand. Something like a 10x15 painters tarp. This proved to be more than enough tarp. The major problem I had was pitching it to steep. Later that night I could hardly squeeze between the tarp and the hammock to get in. To make matters worse the inside of the tarp was all dusty (I use this as a tent footprint for family camping) so I got all dirty as I was climbing into my brand new hammock & sleeping bag. This was annoying and I thought about just taking the tarp down as the expected winds were not blowing at all. I decided to keep the tarp up just so I could learn what I like and dont like for when it comes time to buy a real tarp. The tarp I was using was dark brown on the outside. I learned early morning that a dark colored tarp is essential. I cant sleep once it is light outside and the dark tarp helped me sleep in longer. So I guess I will be buying a JRB or Warbonnet tarp due to color! While this tarp had more than enough coverage I think I will be buying a large tarp and pitching it not as steep. I like the looks of the JRB in baker hut configuration.

All in all it was a fun night and I look forward to getting out again. Thanks for all the help and taking a look at my gear.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I completed a three day solo trip last week just below the rim... I was backpacking over a fairly long route.
    Highline Trail?

Roadtorque, i was also at the lake, the south end where temps were around 48° for a low without wind. I did not use a tarp over my BB and by using my "te-wa treehouse" UQ i was warm all night. I used a 12 oz top quilt (sewn thru) that was rated to around 40° and that kept me fine.

the trip was great, but the fishing was not. I caught one stocker about 9" long.

here's a shot of my rig, as i used it saturday night:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    I'm glad you had a good experience. I would have been real warm in your setup. Were you sleeping in real light clothes?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    Highline Trail?

Roadtorque, i was also at the lake, the south end where temps were around 48° for a low without wind. I did not use a tarp over my BB and by using my "te-wa treehouse" UQ i was warm all night. I used a 12 oz top quilt (sewn thru) that was rated to around 40° and that kept me fine.

the trip was great, but the fishing was not. I caught one stocker about 9" long.

here's a shot of my rig, as i used it saturday night:
    Yeah I did a little fishing as well, caught nothing although they were jumping all over. Is the te-wa treehouse the UQ that you make? I might send a PM, or talk to you on this thread about UQ's in AZ. I am going to be in the market for one this fall and dont know what to get. The main problem is the temperatures varying so widely in Az between summers in the valley and winters on the rim. Anyway the other question I will probably ask you is about tarps and bridge hammocks. I really didnt like how little room there was under the tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp70 View Post
    I'm glad you had a good experience. I would have been real warm in your setup. Were you sleeping in real light clothes?
    I had a thin t shirt and boxers with my bag loosely tossed over me like a quilt, half the time I had the bag pushed off of me. So yes I was warm but managed to stay comfortable.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    here's a perfect way to pitch a tarp over a bridge hammock in fair weather:

this is a 11x10 and it also doubles as my winter tarp for the BB i own.

yes, 'te-wa's treehouse' is the name chosen for my gear. i dont have a website, or fancy labels on the quilts, but they are top-notch. you can use them between 70 and 32°
    (add a 1/4 ccf to the pad sleeve and you're golden to the mid twenties or below)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12