Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NewRiver test

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●

NewRiver test

had a good month to test the lows for the NRL(apex)...with a 2QZQ protector and a 20° climashieldcombat(apex) bag...

nightly lows were 24°F , 10°F , -4°F , 10°F , 40's , 5°F , 4°F , 13°F , 18°F , 40's , 37°F.

looks like its all i need for all-season except mid-summer.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    The New River rocks! I've used mine to 15 and was warm.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    had a good month to test the lows for the NRL(apex)...with a 2QZQ protector and a 20° climashieldcombat(apex) bag...

nightly lows were 24°F , 10°F , -4°F , 10°F , 40's , 5°F , 4°F , 13°F , 18°F , 40's , 37°F.

more...i try to use multi-use gear and be adaptive ...this month is a good test of changing conditions , and the same gear covered it . i got a woobie (2 oz. climashieldcombat (apex)) that i can use over or under, and i put it in the bag on the 2 or 3 colder nights, and was maybe a little too warm.... in the summer i rig it for under-insulation ( some call it a PLUQ) and its taken me down to the high 20's a few times.

i got a system for clothes...polartec silkweight top and bottom, under polartec 100 top and bottom , and maybe a polartec skullcap... covers a wide temperature range, above freezing to below 0 .

i'm not an ultralight fanatic, but it all doesn't weigh very much either.... hammock, 2QZQ protector, LST, NR, suspension, 2½ lb. bag, is around 7 pounds....more or less.

Images

Oh, do you mean the same New River UQ that is rated at 30F? The one I've been saying about for a long time that (based on my own and others experience with CS XP Yetis) should be a lot warmer than 30F? I think, even adding a few degrees for an UQP, that you have solidly proved my theory! Thank you!

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    BB58 .... hasn't been too cold around here for a few years to really test it out.... i have an older reg. NR, but i like this apex long NR better. got a few jarbridges, but i used them mostly for additions to the woobie PL set up...been doing that for a couple years now...guess the terminology now is called stacking..... i can stack the NR with a woobie or doobie in about a minute if i need to. i tried it out a lot, but its really overkill. makes no sense to overkill it...unless its minus-sub0
    i stack the woobie PL with 3-S and 1-S jarbridges and its a good system too.
    Last edited by bob2guns; 01-13-2014 at 13:41.

Images
    BB58 .... hasn't been too cold around here for a few years to really test it out.... i have an older reg. NR, but i like this apex long NR better. got a few jarbridges, but i used them mostly for additions to the woobie PL set up...been doing that for a couple years now...guess the terminology now is called stacking..... i can stack the NR with a woobie or doobie in about a minute if i need to. i tried it out a lot, but its really overkill. makes no sense to overkill it...unless its minus-sub0
    i stack the woobie PL with 3-S and 1-S jarbridges and its a good system too.
    Right, I have a Jarbidge Apex. Paul rates the Apex a few degrees warmer and 15-20% more compressible. I have not been able to put mine to the test yet.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I throw the yellow flag on my Apex Jarbidge as it approaches 20 degrees.

It'll get you by and adding a woobie, I'll need to test that but I've been spoiled and now I want warm, not just getting by.

That's why I am loving my New River and stacking it with a Jarbidge. Outside almost every night this winter and thoroughly enjoying it.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I throw the yellow flag on my Apex Jarbidge as it approaches 20 degrees.

It'll get you by and adding a woobie, I'll need to test that but I've been spoiled and now I want warm, not just getting by.

That's why I am loving my New River and stacking it with a Jarbidge. Outside almost every night this winter and thoroughly enjoying it.
    Clear a couple of things up for me: Aren't the New River and Jarbidge rated at the same 30F? ( I see that now that all KAQs are made from Apex, the rating has been dropped to 25F for most folks). I thought that all standard 3 season KAQ models had a 6 oz.sq.yd layer of CS. I realize the New River is a longer/wider UQ than the Jarbidge, but I thought they also had the same temp rating. Is that wrong?

2nd, on the coldest temps reported in the 1st post of this thread, were you using anything under you other than the New River and whatever layers you were wearing? Was there any stacking? ( I don't think there was, but want to be clear- sorry for being slow!)

Lastly, what is a Woobie?

Thx!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Yes, they are the same in stock for .

My New River is an older custom with some extra climashield (not apex).
    My Jarbidge is new, so it is Apex, standard fill amount.

I wear a single base layer, thin usually.
    Below 20 I will use long waffle thermals pants.

Single layers for socks always for me.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    BB58 ---- just used a stock NRL-Apex and the polartec ecwcs i described...no added jackets or anything...no tarp...open air (wind, fog)..

woobie© and doobie© are an enhanced heavy duty high tech version of a poncho liner made by KIFARU in CO. really useful..got a few of them..use them all the time
    Last edited by bob2guns; 01-13-2014 at 21:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast