Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dd or hennessy

dd or hennessy

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the hammock world and was wanting to try it out. I was just wondering on what people thought was a better buy between a DD Frontline and a Hennessy Scout. The hammock would be used for spring, summer and fall and bug netting is a must. Thank you in advance for any input.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I haven't tried either.

A lot of people really like dd hammocks, especially over this side of the pond. They seem like quality hammocks and I do own a dd tarp which is very well made and customer service was very good. The dd is also bigger and easier to mod, I would consider both points a +.

I have no experience with the hennessey brand whatsoever. However the scout is only $99 inc. a tarp? That seems very good value to me. Hennessey hammocks are also made more like the hammocks the cottage manufacturers who are present on hfs hammocks, with a ridgeline holding the net up (+ for me).

With the dd, I dont like the idea of having to hang the bug net from the tarp or tree, but the extra space inside the net would be good.

I would mod the suspension on both, but I beleive some people have issues with the dd stock webbing stretching.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Most only know the hammocks we have so a comparison my be hard to find. I have a HH scout (bottom entry) and find it very well built/sturdy. I'm 5'9" 170lbs.
    I also have the HH UL Backpacker (bottom entry) - it is roomier and lighter.
    You'll have to decide on what'll work for you on the AT.
    HH is a Canada based operation, so make sure you figure shipping into both costs (I think DD is out of the UK).
    If you go HH, learn the stock suspension prior to any mods - it's a solid design right out of the bag.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    I like my HH bottom entry for avoiding mosquitos and flies. I don't have experience with the DD. The other thing I like about my HH is that it is a complete system that can get you hanging out of the bag. You can modify it later, but it has everything to get you off the ground.
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have a HH Explorer Deluxe and a WB xlc but, if I was to buy one to get started in the hang world I would start with the HH as it is ready to go out of the box. However, with that said I would recommend going to the Exploer Deluxe as it does have more room and can be mod through 2QZQ easy and it lays flater. One of the worst things to do is try something new and short cut on the first time trial.

Hammock
    Woodsman Lite
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    SB, PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a DD frontline. It's a fine hammock, easy to set up and find a good lay in. I have switched the webbing for whoopie slings, and that works great. The bugnet is nice, and when suspended properly with thin pieces of shock cord, it really gives a nice and roomy place to sleep. I use my tarp ridgeline to suspend is from since it runs under my tarp. Inside the bugnetting, there are two small grossgrain loops at head and foot end, to suspend a non-structural ridgeline from, to hang odds and ends when in the hammock, I have my headlamp and watch attached to it.

It's a double layer with velcropatches to seal it up. Works well for holding a pad in place. You can also flip the hammock over and use it without the bugnet if it's not needed, a nice little feature.

It's been a great intro-hammock for me, but after getting some experience with it, weighing cons and pros of different aspects, I am now thinking a single layer gathered end hammock in ripstop would have been worth the weight and space savings, and I'd prefer a removeable bugnet.

I found the frontline to take up more space than I had anticipated and be a tad heavier than I would have liked.

But that's just me.
    It's a fine hammock if bulk and weight isn't a major concern, a fixed dependable bugnet is desired, and the ability to hold a pad in place under you is needed. I've been happy with mine.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have the DD Jungle Hammock (modular system) and it is very nice. I love the poles to open it up. It also has a waterproof layer you can put on the bottom or over the top which I use in both configurations.

I also have the Hennessey DJ XL and it is very nice. It has the DL and I was fortunate to get it from another forum member with the hex tarp and the regular smaller tarp. It is very nice, and I love the hammock material.

Neither of these is what you are looking at, but I just wanted to give you my thoughts on the DD and Hennessey. I personally wouldn't get the Scout, because I like a bigger hammock and more room. I will add, I don't backpack with either of these. They are both a tad heavy. HYOH I am 5'9" and find a longer hammock much more comfortable. I had the Hyperlite and found it a bit confining for me. As I said this is my preference and you may find it different for you.

Spend your money wisely once vs getting something cheaper and end up selling it and getting something better later. I speak from experience on this.
    "No whining in the woods"

thanks for the useful info!

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I own a HH BPUL and a DD Frontline.
    MEC sells HH products and have a pretty liberal return policy. The bottom entry provides quicker entry/exit which is nice in buggy environments but is also more fiddly when using an UQ or pads. You can add a zipper(s) yourself or have it done by 2QZQ. That option gives the best of both world's, just ask them not to sew the bottom entry shut. I am not sure if the scout zip model has zippers on both sides or just one. Check the scout specs to be sure it is suitable for your height and weight as I recall that it is for kids or small adults, certainly not 200 pounders like myself. The Scout does include a rainfly, while the DD does not. Interestingly the website says the hammock is not an asym although the tarp is. I see HH is still advertising their holiday sale so if you upgraded to an Explorer model or above you would get a free Cub model and two sets of snakeskins. That is a sweet deal if you have a child that can use the Cub or maybe you could even use the Cub as a gear hammock underneath... I don't use snakeskins but they look like the would be the cats arse.

The Frontline is a larger hammock and the crossbars do add weight but also give more room inside. The bugnet has zips on both sides which is nice for reaching out to make adjustments, grab gear or fire up your stove Shug-style. You can also go netless by tying it out of the way and then redeploy it if they wind dies down and the skeeters start coming back out. I often use it netless during the day and zip up if the bugs get bad. The double layer will also add weight but is nice if you are using a pad. I recently slept between the layers of mine when it started to snow and I didn't feel like hanging my tarp (granted, it was a light snow but still it kept the snow off my down bag and my face). DD also offers the choice of ordering your hammock with whoopies slings which saves time, money and effort if you plan on going that route. I like the interior pockets on the DD. The fact that the rainfly is not included adds cost but also flexibility since you can get the tarp you want (I use the HH Monsoon with mine). I believe you can upgrade your tarp for extra money if you purchase the scout.

At any rate, no recommendations just some more info to help muddy the waters. Ya can thank me later!

P.S. Where abouts in Ontario are you? If you are nearby maybe we could arrange for you to check them out in person. You can PM me your location if you don't want to divulge it here in the big wide Web world.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    I've had DD Travel. I liked it for some time, but messing with pads was messy and I'll never again will sleep in hamomck that's made of waterproof fabric.
    Original suspension system is also not the best and it weighs too much.
    Mine weighted 1,2 kg.
    I'd vote for Hennessy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast