Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB

Butt is cold in JRB underquilt with WBBB

I recently purchased the JRB Mt Washington 3 underquilt and the sierra sniveller top quilt. I just tested them out today while the temp was 45-50 degrees. Everything was warm except my butt and occasionally my calves or heels. I am concerned that I am hanging it incorrectly. I am using a WB black bird. I connected the shock cord that came with it to the suspension using a larks head and connected the mini biners to the corners of the quilt. I then cinched the ends of the quilt down so that there would not be air movement between the hammock and quilt. The foot box was well covered the entire time. There was good coverage from past my feet to just past my head.

I was concerned the perhaps it was pulled a bit too tight (end to end) and perhaps my butt was compressing the loft. So I undid the larks head and ran the shock cord directly through the amsteel loops that connect the WBBB suspension to the hammock. This is the closest position possible to which you could connect the under quilt to release some of the tension on it. The problem remained the same. My butt was cold and everything else was pretty warm. Anyone else have this problem? Anything else I should try?

I will be doing an overnighter with the boy scouts this Friday night and the temp will drop to about 20, so I need to get this figured out. My backup plan is a wool blanket in the hammock underneath me in addition to the underquilt. If I am really cold I also have a thermarest pad, But I do not like it in the hammock. Thanks in advance for your help.

Diego

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The Mt Washington it differentially cut and you really would be hard pressed to pull it too tight. However it the end side channels can be pulled too tight and leave a pocket down the center. Lay in the hammock and feel in between the quilt and hammock and there shouldn't be and gap. Better yet have someone else feel in between. You should be able to hit those temperatures with that set up, but I still keep a sit pad handy just in case.

Lastly It is good to have a way to pull the suspension up and not out. I have little plastic hook for just that purpose. Send me your address and I will send you a pair for free.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The Mt Washington it differentially cut and you really would be hard pressed to pull it too tight. However it the end side channels can be pulled too tight and leave a pocket down the center. Lay in the hammock and feel in between the quilt and hammock and there shouldn't be and gap. Better yet have someone else feel in between. You should be able to hit those temperatures with that set up, but I still keep a sit pad handy just in case.

Lastly It is good to have a way to pull the suspension up and not out. I have little plastic hook for just that purpose. Send me your address and I will send you a pair for free.
    +1 on Dutch's response. I have a MW 4 and pulling the suspension up and against the hammock is key.

Very nice gesture Dutch.........

this is why this community is the best!!
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I hope this video may give you some UQ on a Blackbird insight.
    You'll get it dailed in soon.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    +1 to Dutch's suggestions.

I'm not familiar with JRB quilts, but if the suspension runs through channels and the quilt can be freely moved, it is likely that it suffers from the "accordeon effect". Due to its own weight, the quilt ends slide towards the lowest point (your butt), and an air pocket forms. That's the reason, why I added shock cords to the ends of all of my full-length underquilts. It's a bit annoying to have 4 suspension ends, but it helps with the sagging.

Should you have a double layered BB, get some Reflectix and cut out a square of the size of a sit pad. Put it between the layers where your butt is. I did this, and it helped a lot with whatever air pockets remained. You won't really feel much of the Reflectix, but it helps a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB

Thanks Dutch!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

How do you use the hook? Is there a diagram or photo online? Thanks so much!

Diego

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB
    Shug,

Thanks for the video link. I have seen many of your vids. In fact I have played so many of them that my kids ask me,"Is that Shug-Shugety-Shug-Shug?" ;o)

Diego

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    +1 to Dutch's suggestions.

I'm not familiar with JRB quilts, but if the suspension runs through channels and the quilt can be freely moved, it is likely that it suffers from the "accordeon effect". Due to its own weight, the quilt ends slide towards the lowest point (your butt), and an air pocket forms. That's the reason, why I added shock cords to the ends of all of my full-length underquilts. It's a bit annoying to have 4 suspension ends, but it helps with the sagging.

Should you have a double layered BB, get some Reflectix and cut out a square of the size of a sit pad. Put it between the layers where your butt is. I did this, and it helped a lot with whatever air pockets remained. You won't really feel much of the Reflectix, but it helps a lot.
    I do indeed have the double layer. I will give the reflectix a try if I cannot get the quilt adjusted correctly. Thanks for the great idea.

I am noticing a problem getting the quilt to stay where I want it (side to side). I do not really see a way of changing the way it is suspended unless I run a shock cord around the top side over the bug net and ridge line. Maybe that will help?

Diego

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    How do you use the hook? Is there a diagram or photo online? Thanks so much!

Diego
    I need to do a vid but, you put it on your UQ shock cord suspension on one side and it stays there. Then when your UQ is on your hammock you hook the other side and it is all lifted up to our ridgeline instead of out to your suspension. Very simple, just like me.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Hi Diego,
    Many of the new UQs these days give you enough shockcord in the suspension for hammocks up to 11' long. Your wbbb is a 10' hammock. Your shockcord could be as much as 12" too long. So it is hanging too loose. With a simple overhand knot making a loop you can take up that 12" and see if that helps.

If the UQ is not following you as you get diaginal in the hammock you might have the end shockcords too tight. At your shoulders you should not need to tighten much at all. None to about 4". At the foot 2-4" on each side. Only thighten them enough to close off ant gaps.

Like this:

hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast