Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR

Question Warmest UQ comfortable in summer

How warm of an Unerquilt have you succesfully used with some venting in summer temperatures?
    Especially Torso and 3/4 Quilts

I'm debating whether to make my UQ adjustable or make a head hole so i can wear it around camp or when i make a pause on a hike.
    I will be my only underquilt so i would like to be able to use it in warmer temperatures avoiding pads,
    but the head hole makes adding/memoving layers to complicated so i can only choose one

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can't say for sure yet because summer isn't here, but I suspect my 3-season Yeti will let me vent and stay comfy up to 70. Beyond that, I usually don't use an underquilt. No reason it couldn't have a head hole if that's your thing. To vent, I just reach out and slide the uq up closer to the head end of the hammock. That opens a wide vent that lets in plenty of refreshing cool air.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Thanks Cannibal,sounds great
    i dont know if a headhole will really be that usefull but taking out the adjustability sure makes it easier.
    I would probably shoot for a CLO rating of ~7 so reeaally warm

Guess it's still a little early for the other forumusers

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Ha i didn't mean to close this thread !

Come on people,
    i'm sure Cannibal is not the only one who could atleast assume whether a really warm quilt is ok in summer temps when it's vented.
    Talking temps were you need some underisolation
    70F
    and only carry a warm Quilt

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    Ha i didn't mean to close this thread !

Come on people,
    i'm sure Cannibal is not the only one who could atleast assume whether a really warm quilt is ok in summer temps when it's vented.
    Talking temps were you need some underisolation and only carry a warm Quilt
    If your only going to carry a warm quilt, the better question is "How do I vent a -15*C quilt when it is warm but I still need one?"
    Hard question as I have different weight quilts that I carry depend on temps.
    ~A 2/3 or 1/2 length could be moved up or down the length of your body to cover more or less.
    ~Vent the UQ using extra clothes (create space between your body and the UQ)
    ~Hang it very loose (again venting)
    These are ideas as I have never done this
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Thank you for the ideas animalcontrol.
    You bring up a point i had somehow ignored or tried to ignore, most people on here have more than one quilt or rather carry a quilt appropriate for the weather, so it it's hard to find out how well venting a warm quilt works especially finding the extreme ...

Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    How warm of an Unerquilt have you succesfully used with some venting in summer temperatures?
    Especially Torso and 3/4 Quilts

I'm debating whether to make my UQ adjustable or make a head hole so i can wear it around camp or when i make a pause on a hike.
    I will be my only underquilt so i would like to be able to use it in warmer temperatures avoiding pads,
    but the head hole makes adding/memoving layers to complicated so i can only choose one
    I wouldn't want a headhole in an UQ. Top quilt yes, UQ's you want to set and forget.

Images
    billybob,
    you have a much older model, since then i've shortened/tightened the shockcord quite a bit, and it tends to stay put alot better both side to side and lengthwise. try this, i think it will do the trick. it should also make it easier to get a tight seal at the ends.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    billybob,
    you have a much older model, since then i've shortened/tightened the shockcord quite a bit, and it tends to stay put alot better both side to side and lengthwise. try this, i think it will do the trick. it should also make it easier to get a tight seal at the ends.
    Try what, tightening it up some more? Well, OK but it works pretty darn good already.

I may have given the wrong impression. It's really not a big deal or problem at all, it stays put pretty well. It's a somewhat "occasional" thing that it might slip up above my shoulders enough to cause venting. And very quickly and easily fixed if it does happen. This thing rocks! ( and OTOH, it is just super easy to vent if needed).

• + New Posts