WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

New order questions

I am a fairly recent convert into the hanging world. Last year I broke myself in with a cheap GT ultralight hammock, but it's obvious now that it will not cut it for going pro in the world of hammocking.
    I'm pretty weight and size conscious so I'll be going single layer. After that, I'm pretty unsure of what to order from there. I'm 6' tall and 175 lbs. I had my heart set on Hennessy Hyperlight for so long but looking at the specs a little closer it seems that they are pretty short in comparison to others. So lately I've been drooling over the DH and more specifically, the Gnome.
    I was thinking of getting a 10' (or should I go 11'?) but am unsure of what width I should get. What does more width give you besides the obvious answer of "more space." How does it translate into more space and why would it be needed?
    Also, I saw somewhere that an ultralight material like 1.1 nylon may be prone to stretching. Is that something I need to worry about at my weight and consider going up to a 1.8 (night camo!) or something? My desire is to be super ultralight, but not at the cost of ineffective gear that won't last long.
    And one last question: How exactly do you place an order with Randy over at DH? I couldn't find anything on the site...

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Go to the RoamingGnome page; look on the right side. You can make your selections and then click "Add to Pack". This will put your customized hammock into the shopping cart.

My guess is, with 6' you're on the border between a 10' and 11' hammock. The Grand Trunk website says that the Ultralight model is 9.5' long. Which means if you've been OK with it, you should be happy with a 10' hammock. If in doubt, make yourself a cheap Tablecloth hammock and whip it at 10' and 11'. This should help you decide.

With regards to width, I think this is as much a question of hammock design as personal preference. If you want to go more diagonal, or if the hammock design asks for a very diagonal lay, you are going to need more width. If the lay is more inline, less width.

Can't say anything about the stretchiness of the 1.1 fabric as I'm a lot lighter than you and only have double layer hammocks. Have you had a look at DH's comfort rating chart? If you don't have any personal experience with different fabrics and therefore no preferences, yet, I would go with the chart.

You might also have a look at the DH "choosing your hammock" site. Lots of info there.

If you still have questions, I would recommend to contact Randy. He knows his products best and will be able to help you.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thanks for the info Hut!

Does anyone here in my weight range have experience with single layer 1.1? I'd love to hear what you've experienced, or even if you just have the knowledge.

Also, is the ridge line length fixed or adjustable?

TIA

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    The extra width gives you more space to lay more diagonally which can be a good or bad thing (It could heighten calf ridge pressure if you have more material folded up in the center and lay on a slight diagonal). I am 5'9" and 180lbs and went with an 11' with a Single Layer 1.6oz fabric. I personally love this fabric(was a good compromise between weight and durability). The extra length of the 11' will give you more space than an extra couple of inches in width will. I went with the 11' because with a bug net zipped up I had calf ridge pressure on my 10'.... but many people do not. I have a 1.6oz gnome with 64" wide or so finished width... but I sleep with my dog alot (20lbs) and sometimes he likes to wedge on the side of me so the extra inches help. I think that 1.8oz material will be a bit more durable than 1.1 or 1.0 and a little less stretch. But if you are careful with your gear the 1.1 would be fine I think. I would highly recommend the additional zipper if you get the 11' (makes it much easier to get in and out of)... I have a 1.1 oz hammock and I am perfectly comfy in it but I have to baby it much more than my 1.9oz or 1.6oz hammocks. Good luck, if you need to see pics of my setup just PM me.

Good Luck

I see he no longer has a 1.6oz fabric in stock, the 1.8 Night Grid looks nice (I have ACU pattern and love it)

edit: Lots of people like the additional "sag" you get with a 1.1oz fabric, so it's all personal preference (I was extremely uncomfortable in a GTUL for instance...something about that fabric i did not like)

Quote Originally Posted by Izraelius View Post
    I am a fairly recent convert into the hanging world. Last year I broke myself in with a cheap GT ultralight hammock, but it's obvious now that it will not cut it for going pro in the world of hammocking.
    I'm pretty weight and size conscious so I'll be going single layer. After that, I'm pretty unsure of what to order from there. I'm 6' tall and 175 lbs. I had my heart set on Hennessy Hyperlight for so long but looking at the specs a little closer it seems that they are pretty short in comparison to others. So lately I've been drooling over the DH and more specifically, the Gnome.
    I was thinking of getting a 10' (or should I go 11'?) but am unsure of what width I should get. What does more width give you besides the obvious answer of "more space." How does it translate into more space and why would it be needed?
    Also, I saw somewhere that an ultralight material like 1.1 nylon may be prone to stretching. Is that something I need to worry about at my weight and consider going up to a 1.8 (night camo!) or something? My desire is to be super ultralight, but not at the cost of ineffective gear that won't last long.
    And one last question: How exactly do you place an order with Randy over at DH? I couldn't find anything on the site...

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ojdash; 01-15-2014 at 12:17.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the info Hut!

Does anyone here in my weight range have experience with single layer 1.1? I'd love to hear what you've experienced, or even if you just have the knowledge.

Also, is the ridge line length fixed or adjustable?

TIA
    ridgeline is fixed (with the bugnet I think it almost has to be...otherwise you would have to have extra no seeum (like switchback hammock or GT skeeter beeter)

You could be comfortable in 1.1, for me it was just a durability thing (my 1.1 has tons of stretch marks on it....it looks like seconds now)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thanks ojdash!

That is a really big help! Great tip on the extra zipper as well. I think I'll add that option for sure. Also, I'd love to see some pics.

Thanks again

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Also, is the Dream Hammock ridgeline structural? Will it always hang the same?

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Also, is the Dream Hammock ridgeline structural? Will it always hang the same?
    yes it is structural and Non-Adjustable

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Perfect. Thanks!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    If using a fixed, structural ridgeline, does hang angle matter anymore? I would think that as long as the ridgeline is taut the hammock will hang the same, thus the magic 30 degree hang angle becoming irrelevant.

Has anyone played with this theory?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast