Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY in progress
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

diy tarp question

Hi, I'm making a hex tarp w/cc. My hammock is 11' with a SRL of 108". Now can I go with an 11' tarp or should I go 12'?

Thanks
    Chris
    "It's not Can or Can't. It's Do or Don't. Don't go where the path leads you, but instead go where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    An 11 foot tarp RL would give you enough coverage but I think a 12 foot RL would be better for the longer hammock. If you are not worried about saving ounces then there's no real downside IMO. Go a step further and make the tarp with doors.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    An 11ft hammock will have about a 9ft 1in ridgeline. And It's generally recommemded to have about a foot of coverage on each side of the hammock. An 11ft tarp ridgeline will meet that perfectly.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    If your SRL is 108" then you have 12" of coverage on either end. I made a Blackcat with a 11' ridge line and it covers my WBBB with ease. The WBBB only has a 101" SRL though. Having a longer side length should give you more coverage as well.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I'm about to start a DIY Tarp with a similar setup. I haven't worked out how long the SRL will be but I've been looking at the OES Maccat Deluxe 11' x 10' with the drool worthy Streamline touch (ridgeline in the middle of the fabric, 2 seams on the sides). Best tarp i've seen anywhere. I'm not too worried about the weight of the extra foot of material, i'm more worried about the distance between the trees. I might put an extra pull out on the ridgeline to make it a convertible 10 or 12' tarp - voodoo talk.
    Thanks for asking the question for me. I've got my eye on this thread.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

I recommend going a little more rectangular with your tarp sides. I did a 12'x10' hex and its pretty drafty due to it being way narrower at the base than at the ridgeline.

My plans for the next one if I were to do it again, I'll go 11' x 9' and make it more rectangular. I'd use lineloc3's for the tie-outs instead of d-rings

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    I recommend going a little more rectangular with your tarp sides. I did a 12'x10' hex and its pretty drafty due to it being way narrower at the base than at the ridgeline.

My plans for the next one if I were to do it again, I'll go 11' x 9' and make it more rectangular. I'd use lineloc3's for the tie-outs instead of d-rings
    I bought 4 lineloc3's for that very purpose. Would you get rid of the D's altogether? I'm considering putting D rings under or above the line loc3's on the same bit of grosgrain. I think I saw a video somewhere of a line slipping with them.

Sorry back to the OP question. Sorry to hijack your post OP. What size hammock were you hiding under those tarps?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY in progress
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

I'm gonna go with an 11' RL. I was also going to make the length 62". From RL to point of CC. Now some think my sides should be long. Would that be long enough or should I possibly go more.

Also if I added doors like Bubba suggested, would I still need to have more of a rectangle shape to deflect wind better?

Does anyone have any links to how to create the doors? If I went this way, I would like to have them attatched rather than Velcro. I'll tie them back to the center tie outs when I want more air.

One other question. I was thinking that when I join the 2 sides together at the RL. I wanted to make a channel that I can run the RL through. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?
    "It's not Can or Can't. It's Do or Don't. Don't go where the path leads you, but instead go where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY in progress
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    I bought 4 lineloc3's for that very purpose. Would you get rid of the D's altogether? I'm considering putting D rings under or above the line loc3's on the same bit of grosgrain. I think I saw a video somewhere of a line slipping with them.

Sorry back to the OP question. Sorry to hijack your post OP. What size hammock were you hiding under those tarps?
    I read that the slippage happens b/c the line was too thin for the lineloc. I believe it will work. You'd just have to test out some different thicknesses.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast