Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Unidentified Walmart Fabric

So far I've purchased 12 yards (all they had) of this 48" fabric at Walmart. Problem is, as a newbie, I don't know exactly what it is other than some type of very light ripstop. It's slick with a sheen but has no noticeable right/wrong side.
    The only known RS I've purchased so far is some 1.1oz/y is from Wilderness Logics and this stuff actually seems thinner/lighter. But for that matter, I have trouble telling the difference between the sil and non-coated WL ripstop.

I doubt this Wallyworld stuff is sil at this price but when I stretched it over the top of a water glass it took about 30 sec. for some tiny drops to begin building on the outside of the fabric.
    So, can anyone more knowledgeable about fabrics tell me what I have here and what it would be good for? Thinking of using it for a grizzbreak or UQ protector?
    Thanks for any insight.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Looks similar to some Wallyworld fabric I got a got a couple of years ago. I used mine to make stuff sacks
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If drops got through it, it's probably not sil. Try the breath test: place it over your nose and mouth and attempt to suck air through it. If it's breathable at all, it ain't waterproof.

My bet is on some lightweight poly or nylon ripstop with a DWR coating. If that's the case, uq protectors are good, windshirts are good, quilt shells are good, etc. Stuff that needs to be lightweight and wind/water resistant but not waterproof.

For weight, take your 12 yards and place it on an ounce-accurate scale. Measure the weight and divide by 13.3 (if it's actually 40" wide, like the label says) or 16 (if it's actually 48" wide, like your post says). That'll give you the oz/sq yd weight of the fabric and a likely starting point for denier.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Never mind.....the above tells you what you need to know.

Other W-M Fabric

Speaking of Wally World fabric, I recently picked up some "100% polyester Static Free Lining" for $2/yd. Seems like it would make decent hammock material, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Anyone have experience with it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If drops got through it, it's probably not sil. Try the breath test: place it over your nose and mouth and attempt to suck air through it....
    For weight, take your 12 yards and place it on an ounce-accurate scale. Measure the weight and divide by 13.3 (if it's actually 40" wide, like the label says) or 16 (if it's actually 48" wide, like your post says). That'll give you the oz/sq yd weight of the fabric and a likely starting point for denier.
    Hope it helps!
    I measured it and it's 48". I breathed through it so it's not sil coated.
    Twelve yards is 20 oz divided by 16 so that's 1.25oz per yard. So it seems reasonable that this is 1.2 nylon ripstop with a light dwr finish?

FLRider - For future reference, what's the equation that made it divisable by 16? Me not big on math.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    I measured it and it's 48". I breathed through it so it's not sil coated.
    Twelve yards is 20 oz divided by 16 so that's 1.25oz per yard. So it seems reasonable that this is 1.2 nylon ripstop with a light dwr finish?

FLRider - For future reference, what's the equation that made it divisable by 16? Me not big on math.
    12 yards long x 1.33333 yards wide = 15.99999ish nice find, it seems like it must just be regular rs nylon with a decent dwr. I have read about a burn test and smells to determine if it is nylon or polyester, maybe someone can chip in on that.
    Last edited by craige; 01-13-2014 at 22:03.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    (if it's actually 40" wide, like the label says)

Walmart reuses bolt centers time and again. You can't believe anything the label says on the bolt. 48" is narrow for synthetics. 60" is a more standard width. I've seen some narrow widths in WalMart from being cut down and at that weight is not likely to be a natural fabric but to be sure what the content is you would probably need to do a burn test.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I do wish it were 60" as 48" is a bit limiting for projects. I made some stuff sacks and a beanie lining from my first purchase of it and quickly learned it frays badly and needs heat sealing or cutting with a hot knife. However, it has a very soft touch compared to my other 1.1 silnylon materials. Not sure how the burn test works? This definitely melts readily.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Pretty sure I have a stash of that stuff.

Roughy 1.1 oz , ripstop nylon. I dont think mine is DWR, if it is, its pretty poor. It definitely has a coating. Possibly a poor calendared coating. Great for stuff sacks.

I did a make shift test on it for down proofness. It would work, but not great, but I prefer a more calendared fabric.
    KCCO

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast