Indoor Set Up - Corner or Ceiling?

Hello hangers! This is my first official post!

I've looked through a bunch of threads and did some online searching but have not found the answer I'm looking for. Perhaps y'all can help.

I'm moving into a new place and plan on using a hammock for my full time bed. I understand how to mount and install hanging points, my only question is where to place the points, meaning... In all your experiences, what are the pro's and con's of hanging across a corner of the room (perpendicular walls) vs. hanging one end on the wall and the other from the ceiling?
    Last edited by Droid; 01-15-2014 at 13:16.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I also have a similar question about the wall hanging does it effect your walls to have a hammock hanging from them? Seems like eventually that could damage the structre of the wall.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It helps to know what is behind the wallboard. My preferred spot is the top plate of the wall. In modern construction an exterior wall will generally be a 2 2x4 top plate, often only one for interior walls. Older homes can be double plated throughout.

Generally the higher your attachment point on a stud wall the less deflection you will have under a hammock load and less likelihood to crack wallboard

David

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I have my hammock setup in my gear room at a slight angle, window was in the way to go straight across. I have the attachments 48" off the floor I used the hang calculator from the ultimate hang. I haven't had a problem in almost two years. I weight in at about 190. Keep a close eye on your suspension angle as this is what determines the outward pull on the wall. I was not worried about hanging in the middle if the wall because I knew how the wall was constructed. I hope this helps.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

I am not at all worried about the wall, or construction, or weight, or support, I was asking more about being close to the wall, at an angle. (What type of houses do people live in if hanging a hammock will rip a wall apart?)

Think of a corner, then add a hammock going across. The hammock makes the final leg of a triangle. How close is too close to that corner. How much clearance should I have from the wall to the side of the hammock.

[IMG][/IMG]

Is there anything inherently wrong with line A if the length is ok? Or should I strive for more of a line B, equidistant from the corner?

How much clearance, rule of thumb estimation?
    Last edited by Droid; 01-15-2014 at 18:07.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps for now
    I like room to swing, but the ability to reach out and push for that initial swing is nice. I didn't plan my setup that way, but my "short leg" is about 4'. It is nice to be able to reach out and make it swing, but if i want to sit perpendicular to the hammock to watch TV or talk with someone it is a little close to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador42587 View Post
    I like room to swing, but the ability to reach out and push for that initial swing is nice. I didn't plan my setup that way, but my "short leg" is about 4'. It is nice to be able to reach out and make it swing, but if i want to sit perpendicular to the hammock to watch TV or talk with someone it is a little close to the wall.
    That's what I was concerned about, leaning back while sitting and hitting the wall, or going diagonal in the hammock and hitting my head. But I do see the added benefit of being able to push off.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    "A" works for me. The hammock in my van is tucked up against one side, and works fine.

A hammock may not tear down a wall, but may affect windows and doors, over time.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts