Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Introducing the "TUCKuilt"

I’ve been wanting a UQ for a while to see if I like it better than my current pad. Plus, all the cool kids here at HF have one. However, I have a couple of hurdles to consider. 1st, my wife and I feel cramped in our two bedroom condo to have multiple quilts for the seasons. My wife would certainly not understand the “need” for a summer, fall/spring, and winter UQ to store somewhere among all of my other hobbies. 2nd, $$$, we have had a couple of big expenditures in the recent past (car repairs on both of our cars, hot water heater need to be replaced, etc.) and we know that we will have some more in the near future. So, I needed to come up with a cheap and multi-functional solution. Enter the “TUCKuilt.”

I started out with a single layer of 70d coated ripstop 2nds from DIY Gear Supply. Next, I sewed channels along the length (62”) and width (50”) for the shock cord by folding over some of the fabric. Instead of sewing permanent insulation, I came up with the idea of sewing six buttons along the length evenly spread out on both sides and two more in the middle along the width on the “inside” of the quilt.

At this point is when the TUCKuilt becomes multifunctional. I went to a thrift store and found two cheap micro fleece blankets. I punched small holes in them along the edges at the same dimensions as the buttons. Next, I placed some of my wife’s elastic hair ties in a lark’s head fashion in the holes (I wonder how long it will take for her to notice that some of them are missing). I can attach the two blankets to the buttons for my insulation. I figure just one blanket will work ok for summer, especially here in Florida. I can add the other if it gets a little chilly. If it gets really cold, I figure that I can sandwich other blankets that I already have in between the two blankets that have the hair ties anchors.

Granted, the TUCKuilt's maiden voyage will be at FH4 this weekend. So, I’m not sure if my idea will actually work out in the woods. I’ll probably take the pad just in case since it might get down to the mid-30’s. If the system works ok, I might even invest in some IX or other lightweight insulation and hair ties for additional layers. I’ll post pictures and details after I test it out.

Sounds like a great idea to add layers to your UQ as the weather necessitates. Have you looked into a DIY Poncho UQ.

I have used the Poncho UQ, with a space blanket in between the layers, down below freezing (with balaclava, long johns, gloves, jacket, lined pants...etc...). It is a fairly inexpensive setup.... $18 Poncho Liner, $2 space blanket, $3 shock cord. It also doesn't take up much room or weigh very much.

The only problem I can see with your idea is the weight, but looking at your current setup, weight does not seem like an obstacle for you.
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Sounds like a great idea. Do you have some pics? remember the saying, "pics or it didnt happen."

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I'd love to see some pics. Sounds like a nice "Tuckuilt". I agree with the poncho liner UQ, poncho liners rock!!! Also work great draped over the ridgeline using the center ties on the ends.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

I did consider a pluq, but the cheapest one I could find at a local army/navy store was $25. I also wanted something that provided some weather protection underneath. That is why I went with the 70d coated ripstop. Plus, I had the "creative juices flowing...the DIY bug" (or however way you want to say it) and wanted to try something new. Some times they work out, sometimes they don't...but, it was fun making it regardless.

I understand that my setup is a little on the heavy side, but my current situation dictates money consciousness over weight. On the other hand, I don't think my TUCKquilt will be extremely heavy if the weather is relatively mild.

I haven't taken pictures of it yet because I still need to install the suspension. I'm thinking about doing something like the LeighLo uq suspension or FireInMyBones' triangle design. Any suggestions???

Some times they work out, sometimes they don't...but, it was fun making it regardless.
    I have several 'projects' that are relegated to the attic storage. But are now used for people that want to hammock camp, but don't have one.

I did consider a pluq, but the cheapest one I could find at a local army/navy store was $25.
    Try to haggle with them. They may be willing to let it go for less money, especially if you frequent there.

Personally the 'triangle thingies' did not suit my needs...YMMV
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

I did consider a pluq, but the cheapest one I could find at a local army/navy store was $25. I also wanted something that provided some weather protection underneath. That is why I went with the 70d coated ripstop. Plus, I had the "creative juices flowing...the DIY bug" (or however way you want to say it) and wanted to try something new. Some times they work out, sometimes they don't...but, it was fun making it regardless.

I understand that my setup is a little on the heavy side, but my current situation dictates money consciousness over weight. On the other hand, I don't think my TUCKquilt will be extremely heavy if the weather is relatively mild.

I haven't taken pictures of it yet because I still need to install the suspension. I'm thinking about doing something like the LeighLo uq suspension or FireInMyBones' triangle design. Any suggestions???
    For what it's worth, I've found that Scum's underquilt suspension system works really well with heavier underquilts. It allows for easy single-person adjustment of an underquilt.

A note, though: I'd still bring my pad this weekend if I were you. Two fleeces, even with a vapor barrier (which might be tricky to manage, depending on how much condensation you put out while asleep), may not be enough for the expected temps. The current lowest forecast for the night is in the mid-thirties. I've personally had that forecast be up to 15* off out there before (the 2nd Annual Hang, the forecast was for 36*; I saw 21* at the US-19 trail head on Saturday night). Plan for 20s, just in case...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    For what it's worth, I've found that Scum's underquilt suspension system works really well with heavier underquilts. It allows for easy single-person adjustment of an underquilt.

A note, though: I'd still bring my pad this weekend if I were you. Two fleeces, even with a vapor barrier (which might be tricky to manage, depending on how much condensation you put out while asleep), may not be enough for the expected temps. The current lowest forecast for the night is in the mid-thirties. I've personally had that forecast be up to 15* off out there before (the 2nd Annual Hang, the forecast was for 36*; I saw 21* at the US-19 trail head on Saturday night). Plan for 20s, just in case...
    Thanks for the link to Scum's suspension. I think that is what I'll be going with tonight. I ran the shock cord through last night. I'll just need to set up the prussic knots tonight. I figure it will make it easier to make adjustments.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. I hope it held up well for you at the hang.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts