Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think 1.9 oz would be fine. If you're worried, you could make a two-layer hammock from 1.9 oz - more functionality for the same weight, and cheaper if you can find the $1/yd stuff.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    . . . you could make a two-layer hammock from 1.9 oz - more functionality for the same weight, and cheaper if you can find the $1/yd stuff.
    Wouldn't a two layer hammock made from 1.9 oz = 3.8 oz total. Since there is twice as much fabric, wouldn't I be better off with the 3.4 oz stuff I ordered?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on the characteristics of the fabric. But this way you could put stuff between the layers if you wanted to.

I was just brainstorming. If you can get the ripstop for a buck a yard, it's worth it. Otherwise, take your pick.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    I'm with Jeff on this. 2 layers might be stronger. Think how plywood is stronger since it is made of multiple layers.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'm with Jeff on this. 2 layers might be stronger. Think how plywood is stronger since it is made of multiple layers.
    Yeah, good point.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Yeah, but the plywood layers are glued to one unit. The layers on the hammock wouldn't be one unit except at the edges. So I don't think you're going to get double the strength. More than a single layer, but double is doubtful.
    That's true - no "trestle effect" there. Probably still stronger than one layer of heavier material though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If the layers are whipped together at both ends, they'll both be supporting the body weight.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    They would if they are attached together in some manner such that they cannot slide against each other. Such that if one moves it moves the other in exactly the same manner and amount. There could be no relative movement or any separation whatsoever. If you can arrange the two layers in that manner, then, like plywood, you would probably have double the strength, they are then one unit.
    Now that I think about it, you would get full strength from both layers without having them surface-connected. You wouldn't get the plywood advantage, though, which is that two connected layers are actually stronger than the sum of the two parts.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't know how you guys whip your ends. I don't get any sliding around on mine. I never saw a gap between the layers of my two-layer hammocks, and I can see and fell the stretch of both layers when it's occupied. My whipping stays put...but so do my larksheads, which other folks say slip on them as well. Not sure what I'm doing differently, but I've never had those problems.

To be fair, the edges slide out a bit b/c I stress them when I get in and out, but the main fabric doesn't slide around.

So I still think that you'd get the advantage of both layers. Looks like we're back to that whole experience vs theory argument again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12