Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images

Snap-On Underquilt Protector

Instead of making a full length UQP, why not make one to the actual size of the UQ that attaches with snaps?

I've never used an UQP, so I'm not sure what complications this could cause.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    It's a great idea actually. But most UQ protectors ride high, where the top edge of fabric is above the top edge of UQ and providing a little extra wind block for you, the user, inside of the hammock.

If we really only cared about protecting the UQ, we could just sew another layer WP/B fabric onto the UQ...or snap it on like your idea.

Your forum name is awesome by the way...haha

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    It's a great idea actually. But most UQ protectors ride high, where the top edge of fabric is above the top edge of UQ and providing a little extra wind block for you, the user, inside of the hammock.

If we really only cared about protecting the UQ, we could just sew another layer WP/B fabric onto the UQ...or snap it on like your idea.

I get what you're saying about a wind block. I was thinking that maybe you could roll the UQP over the edge of the UQ and snap on the inside, thereby protecting the UQ fully. I think you might still get the same wind block coverage if you use a full length UQ?

And yeah, I felt the name was pretty appropriate. Although, I bet it could apply to a lot of hangers out there!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I often use my UQP without and UQ in milder temps. Plus some folks only use a 3/4 UQ and the UQP covers the entire hammock and keeps in the heat. Love it!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    Instead of making a full length UQP, why not make one to the actual size of the UQ that attaches with snaps?

I've never used an UQP, so I'm not sure what complications this could cause.

I'm in the process of making one right now. It attaches to this:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...64&postcount=6

Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post

I've taken care of that by making the UQ 60" wide. Its designed to come up over the edge.

Not only will the UQP snap to the UQ, but UQs with different thicknesses of insulation can be snapped to each other to make the temp rating lower They can also be snapped together to make a ground shelter.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    I get what you're saying about a wind block. I was thinking that maybe you could roll the UQP over the edge of the UQ and snap on the inside, thereby protecting the UQ fully. I think you might still get the same wind block coverage if you use a full length UQ?

And yeah, I felt the name was pretty appropriate. Although, I bet it could apply to a lot of hangers out there!
    It could definitely work. On the other hand, many folks are running with partial length underquilts. In order to block wind from hitting them in the spots that the UQ doesn't cover, the UQP needs to be a bit longer than the UQ.

Of course, if your only desire is to prevent the wind from stealing warmth from the UQ proper, then you've got no problems. Or if the UQ is a full length...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts