Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Only 10ft. I usually have many tree options in the adks so I am never wanting for extra length. I try to get the tarp to be within 2 feet of each tree. I do carry an extra 10ft in my emergency bag. Haven't used it in over 100 nights out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 CAMO
    Tarp
    Superfly CAMO
    Insulation
    YETI CAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Only 10ft. I usually have many tree options in the adks so I am never wanting for extra length. I try to get the tarp to be within 2 feet of each tree. I do carry an extra 10ft in my emergency bag. Haven't used it in over 100 nights out.
    Thanks! I think what I might do is, make some 1" fixed loops on my zing it. I was going to fix it to the tarp itself. Now, i think I will just make the loops, that way I can have more options. I can do a larks head either on the tarp or tree, depending on the situation. Then I can fasten the tag end to the tarp flyz that I have on the tarp. I might do lines 12ft each, then I can either "V" or run straight.

Sound good?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Thanks! I think what I might do is, make some 1" fixed loops on my zing it. I was going to fix it to the tarp itself. Now, i think I will just make the loops, that way I can have more options. I can do a larks head either on the tarp or tree, depending on the situation. Then I can fasten the tag end to the tarp flyz that I have on the tarp. I might do lines 12ft each, then I can either "V" or run straight.

Sound good?
    Only way to know is to try. Have fun out there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    I rigged my Superfly by splicing a Dutch Tarp Flyz onto a continuous loop of zing-it (maybe 3 inches) and larks-heading one of those to each of the ridgeline tieouts. Then I took another length of zing-it, spliced an eye in one end and backspliced the other, and larks-headed that to the same tie-out. The line goes around the tree and back to the Flyz, creating your triangle, which I really like. I had it rigged so there was just the line going one direction, but I hated having the lines rub. Not only is it worrisome, but it also made a lot of noise which ran down the line and into the hammock, where it seemed to resonate. Drove me crazy.

For the tie-outs and doors, I used a foot of shock cord doubled over at each d-ring , tied to a length of zing-it. Worked well for me.

I tried numerous methods of using a CRL with the Superfly and liked none of them. You're really supposed to crank the Superfly tight, and no matter how many wraps I put in my prussics, or any other way I tried it, I could NOT get the tautness I wanted.

I also tried Line-Locs (such as shane's method), but again I found that I couldn't get the tarp taut enough without them slipping.

One tip I think applies to all setups (or at least can be applied to any setup) is to try and make everything... well, modular is what I guess you'd call it. Now I splice a fixed eye and a backsplice into EVERY line I use for rigging. That way, things are just larks-headed everywhere and every piece can be taken off and put somewhere else, things moved around, combined, etc, all with ease. I also really like the idea of having short tie-outs on one side, and longer tie-outs on the other for porch mode. You don't need long lines on the side you lay your feet (since you wouldn't put that side in porch mode), so 6ft lines seems good there, while something like 10ft is nice for the side you might like to porch-mode. Also gives you more flexibility to tie off to trees and shrubs and whatnot, thereby allowing you to use fewer stakes.

Right as I found a method that I liked, I got a CF tarp for Christmas, and now the search for the perfect rigging begins anew. It never ends with hammocking, and that's one of the many things I love about it. Experiment with lots of different things and see what works for you. Oh and... good luck. ;p

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 CAMO
    Tarp
    Superfly CAMO
    Insulation
    YETI CAMO
    Excellent Kyle! Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! Appreciate all the help!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12