Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Hammock Overcovers

Hi All, What are your thoughts on over covers. Are people out there using them on a regular basis? Are they worth the extra weight?

Thanks
    TDHanger

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Some swear by them Some swear at them. It seems it depends a lot on conditions. They will cut down on air movement and conserve heat but they can end up loaded with condensation in some cases. There are many threads about overcovers and socks if you search.

FWIW a lot of the problems revolve around the dew point in your microclimate. Learn about that and it will answer a lot of questions.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I love mine but I never zip all the way closed and haven't had any problems. It traps a bit of heat, cuts down on wind and keeps my top quilt in the hammock when I'm getting in or out. I usually bring it when it's too cold for bugs. I should add that mine is integral to my DH thunderbird and is made of 1.0oz nylon so only a few oz penalty and smaller than a baseball
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks I will just have to try it out myself and see if I like it or not. seems to be about 50/50 on who likes them or not.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I have had only good experiences with my sock.
    I've had it below below 15 deg f, snow, rain and in somewhat damp environments and have never had an issue with condensation.
    Mine is made of breathable, not waterproof rip-stop and I always leave it partially open near the highest point.

Using waterproof material and/or not enough ventilation is asking for condensation.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHanger View Post
    Hi All, What are your thoughts on over covers. Are people out there using them on a regular basis? Are they worth the extra weight?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Some swear by them Some swear at them. It seems it depends a lot on conditions. They will cut down on air movement and conserve heat but they can end up loaded with condensation in some cases. There are many threads about overcovers and socks if you search.

FWIW a lot of the problems revolve around the dew point in your microclimate. Learn about that and it will answer a lot of questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHanger View Post
    Thanks I will just have to try it out myself and see if I like it or not. seems to be about 50/50 on who likes them or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    I have had only good experiences with my sock.
    I've had it below below 15 deg f, snow, rain and in somewhat damp environments and have never had an issue with condensation.
    Mine is made of breathable, not waterproof rip-stop and I always leave it partially open near the highest point.

Using waterproof material and/or not enough ventilation is asking for condensation.
    Here is mine, which has a waterproof bottom and breathable top:

It helped me to stay very warm at near 6F lately using only about a 30F TQ, but I had several new variables including the over cover(OC) top and vapor barrier(VB) clothing, and I don't know which contributed the most. No doubt both did.

I was pretty sure I was going to have lots of condensation, but I had none whatsoever except on my frost bib. BUT, (and these are a big BUTs) I'm sure several things contributed to that:
    1: the frost bib( a piece of fleece) hanging down in front of my face was very wet, but that probably stopped a whole bunch of vapor from making contact with the OC and my TQ ( which I have soaked on previous sleep outs at below 20F)
    2: Maybe that 6" diameter hole above my head helped
    3: VB clothing ( don't even think about it unless you are sure you know what you are doing)

My under cover and insulation was also bone dry despite my UC being waterproof which can be a major condensation problem. But, again, VBs were probably a big help avoiding that. So for me, this version of a sock really added to the warmth, and would have been an even bigger help if it had been windy. But you do have to watch out for and maybe overcome condensation, even with breathable covers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Yes, I would think that a VB helps significantly with the condensation. It also guarantees the loft in you puffy stuff will stay all night and even for days on long trips, instead of degrading from moisture buildup.

And as stated, it has to be done right.
    Too many people don't get it and do it wrong.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Frost bibs are a great idea because they collect a lot of the moisture from you hot, damp, breath. Perspiration seldom makes it past the quilt. VB clothing keeps that from happening.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    Last week while watching the weather it was forecasting down below 0* with 40 mph winds tonight (Sound like a good time to test my WB sock.) Above the sound of the wind howling I could hear my wife yelling "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND". With a 20* SB, 20*DIY Down TQ and a hot water bottle I was toasty warm, it was so warm I had to shed some clothes
    5am I woke up it was -1 and had no condensation. ( I've had condensation at 20*)I assume it was due to the high wind. Also I should mention I didn't use my tarp.
    The WB sock was worth money spent
    Edit: Also a 0*Incubator UQ
    Last edited by OldNWay; 01-18-2014 at 05:55.
    OldnWay

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Did not like the socks and I've gone back to a simple cover that drapes down into the UQP. This one is fleece for winter and the end secures with a velcro closure. I can pull it up to a little bit over my head and add another shorter piece there if I need more protection.
    Use the same setup with 1.0 ripstop for summers. It's light and mountain temps stay on the cool side at night.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts