Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic
    Suspension
    Carbiners & Rings

Am I going to freeze??

Hi everyone,

I got a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic for Christmas, and I am going on a camping trip this weekend with the Scout troop, and I want to use the hammock. I don't have an underquilt or supershelter system for the hammock, so I am planning to try and make a temporary one. I'm planning to use one of my winter sleeping bags and unzip it and use those black binder clips along the sides. Then I'll use some shock cord threaded through the clips and attack it to the hammock supports. I'm thinking I would put a piece of reflectix between the bag and the hammock. I'll use my thermarest inside a simple fleece bag inside the hammock, with my mummy bag partially opened as a top quilt...

Temps are forecasted to the mid 20 to lower 20's for the night...

Thanks everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by buggvin View Post
    Hi everyone,

I got a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic for Christmas, and I am going on a camping trip this weekend with the Scout troop, and I want to use the hammock. I don't have an underquilt or supershelter system for the hammock, so I am planning to try and make a temporary one. I'm planning to use one of my winter sleeping bags and unzip it and use those black binder clips along the sides. Then I'll use some shock cord threaded through the clips and attack it to the hammock supports. I'm thinking I would put a piece of reflectix between the bag and the hammock. I'll use my thermarest inside a simple fleece bag inside the hammock, with my mummy bag partially opened as a top quilt...

Temps are forecasted to the mid 20 to lower 20's for the night...

Thanks everyone!!

I will give you my HONEST opinion.

I would not think of a first time hammock campout in the 20's unless it was in my backyard so I could go to the house if things did not work out. But that's just me...

Might I suggest you bring a small tent as backup.

Just sayin'.

Good luck and happy hangin'.

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    The real trick is making sure that the bag you plan to use as an underquilt is snug up against the bottom of the hammock. If there's an air pocket between the hammock fabric and the sleeping bag, you'll get some cold spots.

Another idea would be to make an impromptu pod system. If your sleeping bag has dual zipper pulls, you can unzip the bag and wrap it around the hammock. Then, you zip the bottom zipper pull down to snug it against the hammock suspension at the foot end. When you get into the hammock, you zip the bag all the way up, giving you a hammock inside of a sleeping bag. Supplement this with extra insulation inside if needed.

As always, the Shug's videos have some good info on this. He's using a sleeping bag with a drawstring foot box here, which makes this set up a bit easier, but with double zippers you should be able to get this to work just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTe6-kxY5rI

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    My first UQ was a rectangular sleeping bag with the corners tied and suspended. This worked fine till I could afford something better.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=wonders+wool

Take along your hammock, give it a try and have a backup plan to go to the ground if need be. Happy scouting and " Be Prepared ".
    " Wiggs "

Images
    Hanging from trees in the low 20s really does require the proper equipment.
    Can you survive the nite with less than optimal gear, sure. Will you like it probably not.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hanging from trees in the low 20s really does require the proper equipment.
    Can you survive the nite with less than optimal gear, sure. Will you like it probably not.
    +1 on that! I sleep very warmly in single digits these days, but my 1st night in a hammock I froze my butt off at 22F, no wind. And I had a HHSS and warm bag, but had no idea how to make either work in a hammock. After that night I was fine.

You will probably be OK. But there is always the fall back situation even without a backup tent: learn before you go( have you left already) how to pitch your hammock on the ground as a bivy.

1:Use hiking poles or trees to pitch your tarp low to the ground, and stake out to the side.
    2:Then lay out a ground cloth or $3 WM space blanket(just something to keep moisture and thorns away from your tarp)
    3: then lay your hammock on top of that/under the tarp and put slight tension(but not enough to lift the hammock off the ground) via the ropes to the poles or trees. Now you have a bivy shelter!
    4:Then put your Thermarest pad in the hammock, and lay down on top of it. Depending on which pad it is, and if your bag is warm enough for the temps,you should be fine. Don't hesitate to put a full length or torso sized piece of WM blue pad under the Thermarest, or maybe reflectix (on top of pad maybe?). That is always the emergency back up we hangers have available to us, just go back to ground. Slightly better than freezing.

But of course you don't want to go to ground. Be careful with that reflectix under the hammock, just make sure it is kept warm or you may get a lot of condensation.

If you didn't have a classic HH, I would 2nd the suggestion to wrap the bag around the hammock. That can - with the right bag and some fiddle factor - work fantastic. But I doubt you will be able to get your net out of the way until you get a zipper mod done. So just make sure you get that bag fairly snug against your back and that should still be a big help. Your main battle will be overcoming gaps and drafts. You might want to have some one lay in it while you attach it, making sure it is reasonably snug. But not snug enough to greatly compress the insulation.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Can you do it, of course. Will you be comfortable, maybe not.

Be sure you have a good backup plan like a fully equipment tent system. My two cents is don't take to the woods with any gear (tent or hammock) that you have not fully tested in your own back yard.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    +1 on all of the above. For your sake, hang it this weekend during the daylight hours if you can and play with it. Get your system in place and go out and test it. As BillyBob58 said, get someone to lay in it so that you can see how it works and make the adjustments to it. 20's can be rough if you are not prepared. Good luck and you must take photos and report back on your success! Happy Hanging and have fun!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    You can use a foam pad inside the hammock. One that is 25" or so is a better choice. You can find them at places like WallyWorld and Big 5. If you already have a 20" wide pad, you can get an ENO HotSpot and put your pad in that which will add the insulating wings to keep your shoulder and hips warm. If you have an REI store handy, they carry them. You will need more than the pad for 20F I think.

You can fake a "Garlington Insulator" by gathering the ends of a long backpacker style poncho or even a painter's drop cloth and hang that under your hammock on shock cords for an under cover. Crumple newspaper and loosely fill a couple garbage bags and put those in the under cover. Add a space blanket between the bottom of your hammock and the garbage bags. Your binder clips may help to keep the sides snug to your hammock.

See my experiments at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36668

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic
    Suspension
    Carbiners & Rings
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely have access to a tent if things don't go my way. That's the only reason I'm even considering trying it this weekend. I've fought an internal battle on whether or not to even bring it along, but basically decided I can't pass up the opportunity to actual hang it the first time, even if I don't sleep in it, I'll get some good practice in... I know myself enough to know that if I do hang it... I'll just have to try it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast