Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I guess I'm not "getting it" but I don't see the difference between the two options. I have the Blackbird with the line/straps and when I see descriptions of the strap option the function appears to be exactly the same as what I have. Put the end around a tree, clip with biner, adjust at the rings, tie a half hitch, done. I never adjust or touch the line.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Then it is not you who is not getting it, but I.
    I was under the impression that the line/straps option used no biners or rings. I believed it to be simply a piece of rope attached to the end of the hammock that you tied to the tree strap using knots or hitches, exactly the way you would with a stock hennessy suspension. My bad then, and apologies for any misunderstandings.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I don't think it's you either. There was another thread discussing it that confused me just as much. Maybe Brandon could weigh in on the subject?

the line/strap option on the Blackbird consists of some Amsteel from the whipping to the rings, through which those nice long straps are threaded. The knots in the line make a handy place to add the prussik for the JRB suspension that goes with their underquilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    I think it's confusing because what you got there then (i'm fairly certain) is the adjustable webbing suspension option and not the line/strap suspension. Line/strap consits of a 7 1/2 foot piece of line or rope from the hammock that you use in conjunction with a 5 1/2 foot "tree hugger" strap. The adjustable webbing is a short piece of amsteel connected to 2 triangle rings through which a 14 foot lenght of webbing with a loop in one end is threaded.
    Last edited by Gordzilla; 05-16-2009 at 23:33. Reason: premature submission
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordzilla
    I think it's confusing because what you got there then (i'm fairly certain) is the adjustable webbing suspension option and not the line/strap suspension. Line/strap consits of a 7 1/2 foot piece of line or rope from the hammock that you use in conjunction with a 5 1/2 foot "tree hugger" strap. The adjustable webbing is a short piece of amsteel connected to 2 triangle rings through which a 14 foot lenght of webbing with a loop in one end is threaded.
    Definitely
    I have the line+straps and it is indeed a "treehugger" with a steel-tri-ring and amsteel rope

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Gordzilla has provided a nice explanation of the differences between the two suspension systems. "Treehugger" is perhaps a confusing term we should discard here since both approaches use webbing straps around the tree.

What you describe having in your post below is the adjustable webbing suspension.

The line+strap (lightest) option has no tri-ring, a longer length of amsteel rope and a relatively shorter length of webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    Definitely
    I have the line+straps and it is indeed a "treehugger" with a steel-tri-ring and amsteel rope

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I don't think it's you either. There was another thread discussing it that confused me just as much. Maybe Brandon could weigh in on the subject?

the line/strap option on the Blackbird consists of some Amsteel from the whipping to the rings, through which those nice long straps are threaded. The knots in the line make a handy place to add the prussik for the JRB suspension that goes with their underquilts.
    OK, here is quote from his web site.
    "Suspension is included in the price, but you choose between line/tree straps or adjustable webbing suspension. Webbing is 2000# 1" polyester (woodland camo pattern), line is 3mm amsteel blue (grey) also rated to 2000#. Tree straps have a single 8g triangle-ring in one loop to prevent "wear-through". Adjustable webbing suspension comes with 2 tri-rings per end to be used as ring buckles."

Webbing is all webbing and 2 tri-rings. Straps/Line has just 1, and is not aadjustable without using knots.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post
    OK, here is quote from his web site.
    "Suspension is included in the price, but you choose between line/tree straps or adjustable webbing suspension. Webbing is 2000# 1" polyester (woodland camo pattern), line is 3mm amsteel blue (grey) also rated to 2000#. Tree straps have a single 8g triangle-ring in one loop to prevent "wear-through". Adjustable webbing suspension comes with 2 tri-rings per end to be used as ring buckles."

Webbing is all webbing and 2 tri-rings. Straps/Line has just 1, and is not aadjustable without using knots.
    then I was sent a hammock other than the one I ordered. I'm happy with it, tho, so no foul.

I think Brandon needs a new website with closeup pictures of the options.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Then how am I adjusting it without using knots? Because I am, I do, and I can't tie knots to save my life. Mine has adjustable webbing suspension with 2 tri rings, too. I chose the line/strap when I ordered. Did I get the wrong hammock?
    You have the webbing suspension. I don't like fiddling with knots either. If you did not make certain the choice, Brandon chooses for you-or you chose the wrong one and got yours by mistake which is good.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Images
    line/strap is very similar to the hh treehugger setup except for how i recommend using it. larkshead webbing to tree, there is now a single end of the webbing hanging from tree which has a single ring in the loop. you tie your suspension line to the ring via a slipped buntline hitch.

the adj web susp. is the all webbing option. basically just a ringbuckle suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast