Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Help Blackbird owners - suspension question

So, I've decided to get off the ground and go for a Warbonnet Blackbird.

Now I have to decide between the two options for the suspension and having no experience with hammocks, I need help. The options are adjustable webbing suspension with 2 tri-rings on each end, or, the lines/tree straps with one tri-ring & amsteel blue line. Then I've read some some vague reference to garda rings(?) in relation to Blackbirds, huh?

Now, please keep in mine that I don't even know what the above options are all about, due to both a lack of details on Brandons website and my lack of experience.

I think the tree straps with 2 tri-rings are nearly like a double ring belt: just cinch it up, done deal. But, if that's the case, there's a 4 oz weight penalty for that convenience.

I haven't a clue how the garda rings work, except that they are lighter. Of course I would pick the lighter option, unless that means tying complicated knots (repetitiously to make adjustments) like the Hennesy style knots.

So what is the real difference between the two options beside the weight? Is the savings worth any loss of convenience?

Signed,
    Very Confused

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    With the adjustable webbing suspension you have a hassle free, fast and easy setup. If it needs to be adjusted then you only have to pull on the webbing at the tri-rings or un-clip the carabiner and raise/lower to desired location on the tree, in other words: Lovely, Fantastic, Wonderfully easy! The 4 oz penalty really is nothing when you compare it to untying a knot in the middle of the pitch black night.

Check out Shug when he hangs up his hammock (it starts after 1 min 55 seconds) to get a better idea of the whole thing.

*Edit* the video shows Shug's DIY hammock which uses roughly the same suspension system as found on the BB

Last edited by Chris.Biomed; 05-16-2009 at 19:45.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another vote for webbing. I added cinch buckles to the webbing on my Speer, but the triangular rings on the BB are almost as fast. The setup is so much faster that a couple of ounces can't make up for it. A loop, or two, around the tree, clip into the carabiner, adjust the webbing in the rings, tie a security loop... Done.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 05-17-2009 at 06:41. Reason: Like others I used the term straps instead of webbing and confused the issue.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Go with the straps and triangle rings. Get the biners. Set up is so fast, tenters are still fumbling with polls while you will be lounging.

I like to wrap fully around the tree once, though on larger trees, just guide strap around and clip with the biner. Once both ends are set, adjust so you have 28-30 degree down angle to hammock. Make sure to do a slipery half hitch behind ring buckle unless you want to end up on the ground. Most folks hang the foot end a bit higher than head end. Watch Sugs vidio on the Warbonnet site.

I should have PM'd you, as I was in Boynton this am and could have brought my BB.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Another vote for straps and triangles. You won't regret it.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah .... straps and triangle doo-dads. Fast and easy and more time for staring at the piney woods.....
    Have fun.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    The garda hitch (not rings) is esentially the same deal as the straps and rings option, but for rope instead. you still need to add the rings or biners to use this method. I don't think this will save weight.
    The options that Brandon offers are:
    Option #1 adjustable straps with rings(which you nailed with the belt analogy). It is a single piece of long strap that you adjust just like the belt idea.(remember to add a half or slippery hitch to hold it from sliding) it has a loop on the end that goes to the tree that you hook a carabiner onto. run it around the tree and hook it back to itself, done. faster than fast, great for quick adjustments after set up if required, slightly heavier.

option #2 is basically what hennessy offers. a legth of rope and some "tree straps" These are short straps that go around the tree to protect it instead of just tying the rope around it which can dig in pretty good sometimes.
    run strap around tree, tie rope to strap. done. More time consuming, a bit more work to adjust after set up if required, slightly lighter

I also vote for straps and rings.
    ***** for the sake of clarification, any time "RINGS" is mentioned in regards to the ones brandon supplies, it should be noted that they are the "triangle doo-dads." (thanks Shug) not round rings******
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well, it's abundantly clear what my choice will be .. adjustable straps with triangular doo-dads!

Thanks for all your knowledge and experience!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I guess I'm not "getting it" but I don't see the difference between the two options. I have the Blackbird with the line/straps and when I see descriptions of the strap option the function appears to be exactly the same as what I have. Put the end around a tree, clip with biner, adjust at the rings, tie a half hitch, done. I never adjust or touch the line.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Then it is not you who is not getting it, but I.
    I was under the impression that the line/straps option used no biners or rings. I believed it to be simply a piece of rope attached to the end of the hammock that you tied to the tree strap using knots or hitches, exactly the way you would with a stock hennessy suspension. My bad then, and apologies for any misunderstandings.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast