WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    ... Do we really need a whole sub-forum just for Pads?
    I agree. The sub-forums under Bottom Insulation just means more clicks for no gain. It's as if the Top Insulation was subdivided into TQs, SBs and Blankets.

To the OP...don't let us run you off with this thread...I think some of us that have been here a few years have gotten "additional sub-forum suggestion" burnout in the last year. Keep on posting and don't let our problem become yours.

Oh yeah....welcome to HF!

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Can anyone remember the last time a suggestion was accepted by the members on this site?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by book View Post
    Can anyone remember the last time a suggestion was accepted by the members on this site?
    Actually, with the departure of the previous mods a number of suggestions were adopted that had been kicked around for a while. So yes.... I can remember.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by book View Post
    I dunno, the last time a suggestion was made that addressed an actual problem that needed fixing?

For example there was the suggestion to move all the stickies in the DIY forum to their own sub forum. That was widely supported and then implemented.

The thing about 'suggestions' is that many of them are so subjective, and are based on "I think it would be easier [for me] if the forum looked like X, or was organized like Y" or "on some other forum we do it like Z, and we should do that here". SilvrSurfr is correct, I think the vast number of suggestions of this manner tend to be made by people that have only been here for a short time.

That's not to say that their thoughts should simply be ignored - but often times the suggestion is met with resistance by all the folks who have been using the forums quite happily without it for a long time. There's plenty of truth in adages like "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". And for every change that might be made based on a suggestion from someone new that thinks it would make it 'easier to figure things out around here', that would mean that all the people who have been doing it just fine the old way would also now have to all learn to do it different. So there's something to be said for the thought that perhaps new folk should learn to try it 'our' way for a while, before we start suggesting that everyone else should re-learn it 'their' way.

It comes down to examining whether a suggestion actually fixes a problem that is legitimately broken, or whether it just makes it so that the interaction with the forum is more to the liking of the person(s) making the suggestion.

For example, the DIY sticky change was an actual problem that was made better. There were so many stickies that after you scrolled past them, you only actually saw maybe half a dozen actual posts on each page. Problem solved, for the betterment of all.

On the other hand the moving of sold items in the for sale forum, I would argue, was not an actual problem, just something that inconvenienced a few people that didn't want to have to sort through a few extra posts to find what they were looking for. It hasn't really hurt anything since being implemented, but it certainly wasn't something that the majority of the forum members needed or cared about.

Just my 5 and a half cents.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Sticky subject. I remember when all trips were in the same forum and still don't see a reason to do the geographical split. OTOH splitting pads and quilts does make sense to me. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Sticky subject. I remember when all trips were in the same forum and still don't see a reason to do the geographical split. OTOH splitting pads and quilts does make sense to me. ;-)
    I agree with all of the above.

Though I think at this point we're pretty far off topic from what the original poster brought up. Hehe.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a huge debate on-going about google searches and other search engines tailoring results according to previously conducted searches. The gist of the arguemnt is that unless search engines return wholistic and comprehensive results nobody learns any thing new. We are simply being fed a diet of agreeable information that continues our already established biases. I think the same can be said for too many sub-forums which focus too closely on restricted viewpoints. What new things do we learn by exposure to other topics?

This is really a rather rhetorical rant. But the purpose was to suggest the issues we are dealing with here are a small microcosm of the world out there. Perhaps there is a benefit to broad horizons.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The suggestion for that change was brought up many times and supported by a lot of members and the change for that was done under the approval of the previous administration, which is no small feat in itself.

Sorry for the deviation in topic. But back to the topic at hand.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think the same can be said for too many sub-forums which focus too closely on restricted viewpoints. What new things do we learn by exposure to other topics?

Why I read New Posts.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Weather - rain, snow, heat, cold, Shug cold
    Age - old, young, young and carries blow torches
    Sex - male, female, males who answer threads directed at females
    Activities - hunting, backpacking, snowmobiling, climbing, ice climbing, tree climbing, fishing, flirting, flirting with knives, Roching, etc
    Animals - dogs, cats, kids (may or may not be the right place, depending)
    What...nothing on hammocks ??

On the whole, I like the way the forum is set up. Its always possible to change things, the hard part is to figure out if the change will be for better or worse.

Some of the things I like about this forum is we keep it civil even if we disagree, members share knowledge which has allowed me learn so much in so little time and try different things that I might have never thought of on my own and learning about the group hangs. If you really want to learn about hammocks, then a group hang is the place to do it. I have yet to attend a bad group hang or not learn something new.

I have run a couple of forums and no matter how you set it up, someone will not be happy with it. I have made a couple of suggestions about HF forum that were not implemented, no big deal. Last major forum change was to list the hangs by region of the country which I found to be very useful.

Just my .03 cents worth
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast