Warbonnet Blackbird Double Lyr 1.1
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF 1/4" and 1/8"
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Lightbulb Format Differentiation for hammock purpose

I'm still getting used to this site, but something I personally would find extremely helpful and perhaps others, would be separate site topics for the intended use of your hammock so that people can more easily find threads posted by those using their hammock similarly. That sounded a little convoluted, here's some examples:

At home (inside and outside could be separate)

On the road

Overnighting

Long-term backpacking

Multi-person

Any thoughts? I think it would make this awesome site more accessible!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I think it would make the site a little convoluted. It would be hard to determine where to post. What if your doing an overnighter on the road with another person?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SuccessIsRelative View Post
    I'm still getting used to this site, but something I personally would find extremely helpful and perhaps others, would be separate site topics for the intended use of your hammock so that people can more easily find threads posted by those using their hammock similarly. That sounded a little convoluted, here's some examples:

At home (inside and outside could be separate)

On the road

Overnighting

Long-term backpacking

Multi-person

Any thoughts? I think it would make this awesome site more accessible!
    Well, I think I'll print a copy of your post to show to my wife if she asks me about needing another hammock....

Seriously, I don't 'get it' - I can use my hammock pretty much anywhere I can find hanging points. It's indoor/outdoor/overnight/expedition IMO.

It would be nice if the moderators could do something to encourage 'better' titles on threads i.e. titles that describe the actual topic better.... perhaps that could address your concern without adding more sub-forums?
    (OT: though I do think the 'Cutlery' forum should be renamed 'Knives' )
    I get a bit weary when checking out titles like:
    'Advice needed'
    'What hammock'
    'Problem-Help!'
    'First project'

etc...

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    It would be nice if the moderators could do something to encourage 'better' titles on threads i.e. titles that describe the actual topic better.... perhaps that could address your concern without adding more sub-forums?
    (OT: though I do think the 'Cutlery' forum should be renamed 'Knives' )
    I get a bit weary when checking out titles like:
    'Advice needed'
    'What hammock'
    'Problem-Help!'
    'First project'

etc...
    Tags are a great way to handle this, and aren't utilized nearly enough on the forums, methinks.

You can add up to 12 tags per thread. They also allow for 3 letter entries. Try doing a tag search for 'DIY' or 'UQP' - you can't do that with the regular search function.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The possibilities are endless for sub-forums re: hammocks, but I think this suggestion is a bit ludicrous. Most of my hammock trips are overnight, on the road, and multi-person. So where the heck do I post? Should we also have a hetero/homo/transgender section? I don't know where the subforuming would stop.

I'd love to do a study of the Feedback and suggestions section to see average number of posts by OP at the time they posted the suggestion. My guess is that the majority of suggestions would come from people with less than 50 posts. Get to know the place a while before you change it!

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Tags are a great way to handle this, and aren't utilized nearly enough on the forums, methinks.

You can add up to 12 tags per thread. They also allow for 3 letter entries. Try doing a tag search for 'DIY' or 'UQP' - you can't do that with the regular search function.
    I'm usually just browsing 'New Posts' or 'Today's Posts'......

I don't really see myself using 'tags'...either adding them to my posts or searching for them. Since tags aren't much used on forums, what's the point of searching with them? Lost of potentially useful posts would be missed, I think....

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd love to do a study of the Feedback and suggestions section to see average number of posts by OP at the time they posted the suggestion. My guess is that the majority of suggestions would come from people with less than 50 posts. Get to know the place a while before you change it!
    Well, that study would be difficult to unless you have 'higher level' access, since the post# is updated/backdated. If today you look at my first post here, I don't think it would have Posts=1 under my name.

Anyway, if HF is 'turning off' people who are new to the site, perhaps somebody should be paying attention?

For example, a number of posts have mentioned the 'No PayPal??' issue with the Donor area, and it is still saying:

HammockForums Donation

This is a donation to HammockForums.net to help offset the cost of maintaining the web site and to show your appreciation for hosting the web site . It gives you donating members privileges for one year.

Send checks or money orders to:
    Hammock Forums
    159 Oak Hill Road
    Litchfield, Me. 04350
    Please included your Hammock Forums username in with your donation.
    It is difficult for me, as a new user/member to figure out exactly 'how things work' here at HF, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Things like posting guidelines (offensive, religious) are routinely ignored, etc....

I don't think 'Get used to it' is 'our' best response.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Well, that study would be difficult to unless you have 'higher level' access, since the post# is updated/backdated. If today you look at my first post here, I don't think it would have Posts=1 under my name.

Anyway, if HF is 'turning off' people who are new to the site, perhaps somebody should be paying attention?

For example, a number of posts have mentioned the 'No PayPal??' issue with the Donor area, and it is still saying:

It is difficult for me, as a new user/member to figure out exactly 'how things work' here at HF, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Things like posting guidelines (offensive, religious) are routinely ignored, etc....

I don't think 'Get used to it' is 'our' best response.
    Yeah, I realize such a study can't be done, at least not by me. My point was that the majority of suggestions are submitted by people who've spent very little time on the forums. Perhaps one should have a minimum of 50 posts before you can post a suggestion?

Good point about the Donating Member page; if you click on that Become a Donating Member button it sure appears you can only become a donating member using check or money order; very misleading. Of course, if you click on Order, you get the option to pay using PayPal, but still . . . .

If you see people violating the HF TOS, you should bring it to the attention of the mods. They can't read every post. We are a community and require some level of self-policing. We have a wide variety of people on this forum, some of whom have never even read the TOS. Even people who have been on HF for years can post something of a religious, political, or otherwise offensive (to someone) tone. Sometimes they just need a reminder.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Success - if you hang around you'll see every iteration of subgroups requested, to the point if it was all created we'd have a sub group for just about evening.
    Some of the ones I've seen suggested :

Weather - rain, snow, heat, cold, Shug cold
    Age - old, young, young and carries blow torches
    Sex - male, female, males who answer threads directed at females
    Activities - hunting, backpacking, snowmobiling, climbing, ice climbing, tree climbing, fishing, flirting, flirting with knives, Roching, etc
    Animals - dogs, cats, kids (may or may not be the right place, depending)

Anyway, you get the idea.

Google search can help you find things in here.

And as was said before, a lot of us just watch the New Posts or Today's Post option and get a bit of it all.
    Last edited by TallPaul; 01-17-2014 at 21:47.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If you see people violating the HF TOS, you should bring it to the attention of the mods. They can't read every post. We are a community and require some level of self-policing. We have a wide variety of people on this forum, some of whom have never even read the TOS. Even people who have been on HF for years can post something of a religious, political, or otherwise offensive (to someone) tone. Sometimes they just need a reminder.
    Well, perhaps the TOS should specify what is allowed in 'Signatures'?

Some members here have 'extensive' religious (and political) signatures...but that doesn't violate the TOS, apparently.

No need to bring this to the attention of the mods- they'd have to be comatose not to notice these things......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast