Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies

Thumbs up integrated or sock bug net?

My first instinct was an integrated but I read more buggy horror stories on here about Mosquitos biting through a single layer and started thinking that maybe a sock would afford a little more protection underneath.

I'm also wondering if a integrated net would constrict the ability to get diagonal more at all as opposed to the sock.

The integrated sure does look cooler for some reason and would be a little less to carry so....

Any experience , insights or opinions welcome....
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I can't stand zippers - call it zipperphobia. When I want to get out of my hammock for whatever reason, to pee, to vomit, to confront a critter or run like heck, I don't want to come out of a deep sleep and fumble for a zipper. I want to hit the ground running. So no integrated bugnet for me.

Bug socks have the same claustrophobic issue - you're not gonna escape the hammock quickly. That's why I like the Fronkey-style bugnet - I swing my feet out of the hammock and they're on solid earth. I can take off running in mere seconds (and trust me, I've practiced).

A BIAS NanoBuginator is only 7 oz., and I don't do a whole heckuva lot of hanging in buggy weather, so it works for me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I also question if an integrated bugnet, even if removable, actually weighs less if you count the zipper. If you have a removable integrated bugnet that you could leave at home, you'd still be carrying the weight of the zipper.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't mind zippers so thats the way I go, but my wife loves her fronkey-style bug net. If you use an UQ, you usually don't have to worry about skeeters getting you. Or spray with permethrin and you'll be set. I will say setting her hammock up if the bugnet was removed is not as easy as a zippered bug net.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I also question if an integrated bugnet, even if removable, actually weighs less if you count the zipper. If you have a removable integrated bugnet that you could leave at home, you'd still be carrying the weight of the zipper.
    For sure...I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible but bugnets and zippers aren't going to sprain my back at this point.

Guess I'm going to search Fronkey+buget and check out the buginator for some context
    Thanks man

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I don't mind zippers so thats the way I go, but my wife loves her fronkey-style bug net. If you use an UQ, you usually don't have to worry about skeeters getting you. Or spray with permethrin and you'll be set. I will say setting her hammock up if the bugnet was removed is not as easy as a zippered bug net.
    I'm defiantly going with an under quilt and if it's warm enough not to need it here its usually dry enough that the Mosquitos are down a bit.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    The net and removable peak bag on an 11ft ThunderBird weighs right around 5oz. The zipper left behind on the hammock body weighs 2.2oz.
    Which way is better? I suppose the answer may be different for each person depending on their tastes.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Totally agree that a hammock with integrated bugnet is easier to set up, but I'm willing to put up with the hassle of installing the NanoBuginator. Basically, I have to hang my hammock and quilt, then disconnect one end of the hammock (which is why I like Dutch whoopie hooks), feed the bugnet over everything, reconnect the whoopie hook, then do the same at the other end.

Another thing I like about the Fronkey-style bugnet is that skeeters are really, honestly, too stupid to figure out that there's this giant entranceway into my bugnet through the bottom entry (which I never cinch closed, ever). All the skeeter would have to do is fly down, then up, and he'd be sucking my sweet blood. But that's not a mosquito's style - he goes for a full frontal attack, and meets bugnet. They just don't know how to fly down and up (let's hope they don't evolve).

When I first joined the forums people said that one of the advantages of the Hennessy bottom-entry hammock was that it was better for keeping mosquitoes out of your space. That made no darned sense to me, till I tried the bottom entry bugnet. My own experience (and I'm a mosquito magnet) tells me it's true.

When I get into my hammocks with integrated bugnets, skeeters get in too, but that has never happened with a bottom-entry Fronkey-style bugnet.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    The net and removable peak bag on an 11ft ThunderBird weighs right around 5oz. The zipper left behind on the hammock body weighs 2.2oz.
    Which way is better? I suppose the answer may be different for each person depending on their tastes.
    Haha...thats the ONE that's been on my radar PapaSmurf .

I'm having dreams about it.

My next question(s) were going to be in The Dream Hammock section to see if anyone had the weight.
    Thanks much !

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    All the skeeter would have to do is fly down, then up, and he'd be sucking my sweet blood. But that's not a mosquito's style - he goes for a full frontal attack, and meets bugnet.
    Some reason this struck me really funny .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast