DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Arrow WV>Spruce Knob/Seneca Falls Trail>April 11-13th>Hike-N-Hang

Spruce Knob/Seneca Creek - Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
    This hike is located near the WV/VA boarder in the Monongahela National Forest. This hike features a waterfall, as well as many vistas, a plane wreck from 1979, and some of the prettiest campsites around.
    Google Sign-Up Sheet
    Date: April 11th - 13th
    ETA to Trail Head: 12:00pm
    Length: 16.5 miles
    Difficulty: 4/6
    Streams: 5/6
    Views : 6/6
    Solitude:3/6
    Camping:6/6
    Elevation Gain: 2310ft

Day 1
    So far the plan is to hit the trail head around lunch time and head down the Huckleberry Trail past the Lumberjack Trail intersection until we reach the Judy Springs Trail. Be careful on this stretch because some reviews indicate that others have gotten confused here and ended up going the wrong way. We will follow the Judy Springs Trail until we reach the Seneca Creek Trail and continue along and camp at the first falls or if it is occupied, continue along and check out some of the many other sites available over the next mile or two. All of these sites are located along the river. The expected mileage for day 1 is 6 miles. You may not need to carry too much water for this first stretch but that is dependent on the individual person's needs. I plan to carry 1.5 liters for the first stretch.
    Day 2
    The first 2-3 miles of this stretch is along the river(depending on if we stopped at the first campsite for camp) so I will carry very little water until we reach the Seneca Falls. From there the hike begins to ascend up to the High Meadows Trail via Horton Horserock Trail(Trail name may be called Huckleberry). Note: The junction of HorseRock Trail/High Meadows Trail also includes Huckleberry Trail and can be hiked instead of the next stretch if someone needs a shortcut back and will eliminate about 4-6 miles off the hike but you will miss alot of the vistas along the ridge hike.
    High Meadows Trail will lead to the LumberJack Trail at the summit and this trail will follow along the ridge and lead past a plane wreck until it junctions again with with the Huckleberry Trail. From here we will ascend the mountain until we reach the campsite at the summit that we passed on the way in on Day 1. This will be where we setup camp for the night.
    Day 3
    This is a nice easy stretch to hike back out to the parking lot. Should be around 4-6 miles with very little elevation change.

For the described trip above, check out the map below. I zoomed in on the map provided by HikingUpward.com and uploaded it for those who would like to print it out. I have also made some other maps that can be saved and printed. I saved them in 11" x 8" so they will fit nicely on a sheet of paper without the need of re-sizing. The white arrows are opposite of the direction that we will be hiking. Reason for this is to put the majority of hiking for day 2 instead of day 1 and 3. There is lots of stinging nettles on some of these trails so be prepared for that. Plus some have reported that Jumberjack trail is quite muddy in places depending on the weather conditions so I would prepare for that as well. Boots may be a necessity for this trip. I have never hiked this trail so it will be a first for me so some personal research on it is recommended.

I hope to see yall on the trail and can't wait for this awesome trip. This will be a hole lot of fun.
    SpruceKnob1.jpgSpruceKnob2.jpgSpruceKnob3.jpgSpruceKnobHikingUpwardTrailMap.jpg

Disclaimer: Because of my current situation with school and possible internships/job offers on the horizon, there is a small chance that I could have to cancel my plans to attend this event. This will most likely not happen but just in case I recommend that if you plan to attend this awesome hike-N-hang, that you plan a backup trip just in case. Of course there is no reason that everybody else couldn't still go on this trip if I had to drop out but I just wanted to disclose this ahead of time. Sorry its just something that is out of my control at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

X-

This looks fantastic, I put myself on the sign-up sheet as a "maybe", my status is pretty well known by now. Will let ya know as it gets closer to the date.

Just a question though on the dates- is it the 11th-13th as the title reads? or is it the 11th-16th as the post reads?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    X-

This looks fantastic, I put myself on the sign-up sheet as a "maybe", my status is pretty well known by now. Will let ya know as it gets closer to the date.

Just a question though on the dates- is it the 11th-13th as the title reads? or is it the 11th-16th as the post reads?
    It was a typo. I fixed it thanks. Its 11th - 13th

Hey X I got a question...on this thread ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=86057 )you mentioned about doing the Three Ridges on that weekend. Did this change?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Hey X I got a question...on this thread ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=86057 )you mentioned about doing the Three Ridges on that weekend. Did this change?
    Yeah, I am worried that I wont have time/funds to do many trips this spring so I wanted to try and check out some new locations first and do the Three Ridges Hike if time/funds allows. Three Ridges may happen in May

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Yeah, I am worried that I wont have time/funds to do many trips this spring so I wanted to try and check out some new locations first and do the Three Ridges Hike if time/funds allows. Three Ridges may happen in May
    Ahh gotcha, I'll change my calendar notes...What is the status of the Tar Jacket Ridge hike you mentioned in that same thread?

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Ahh gotcha, I'll change my calendar notes...What is the status of the Tar Jacket Ridge hike you mentioned in that same thread?
    I plan to post that one in a few weeks to a month from now. Need to see how school goes. I graduate in May/June...Yayyyy!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I plan to post that one in a few weeks to a month from now. Need to see how school goes. I graduate in May/June...Yayyyy!
    Sounds good, I'll keep my notes on that one the same till I hear/see other wise.

Awesome on the Graduation...congrats bro!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I know this trip is listed as West Virginia but it is still pretty close to alot of people from NoVa and neighboring States. Dont let the state border make it seem like its too far away.

Attached Images Attached Images

good chance I'll be in for this trip barring any circumstances

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast