Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Looking for testing help for toggle-free suspension

Here are the concept photos

I like the idea of a hardware-free setup but I seem stuck on using marlinspike hitches and toggles. The hitch itself uses up a lot of webbing and the toggle is a small piece that just doesn't seem to jive with what an ideal setup might be like.

One alternative I want to propose is what I am calling "swiss straps" because the strap is full of holes, like swiss cheese. I'd like people to see if they can figure out if this suspension concept has any potential or if it's completely unsafe.

To create a swiss strap, I would use 1" polyester seatbelt webbing with a sewn loop in one end. This webbing is supposedly good for something like 3000lb before considering any derating factors. The end of the webbing without the loop would have holes punched/drilled/melted every few inches from the end. This will obviously derate the webbing a good deal, but I don't know how much.

To use, a camper would wrap the strap around the tree and thread the free end through the sewn loop and pull tight. This would result in a number of available holes with which to attach a whoopie sling.

The adjustable end of the whoopie sling can then be threaded through any of the holes. To prevent the whoopie sling from pulling back out of the hole, the tail of the swiss strap is threaded up through the loop formed by the end of the whoopie sling, effectively creating a stopper when the loop is pulled back through.

To release after putting a load on it, the tail of the strap can be pulled on, which creates enough leverage to pull the whoopie sling through a bit and allow it to be opened. The tail of the strap is then removed and the whoopie sling will just pull right out.

Possible advantages:
    - No knots
    - No hardware
    - Less wasted webbing than marlinspike hitch
    - Holes in webbing might actually save a few grams
    - No toggles to keep track of

Possible disadvantages:
    - Unknown derating of webbing when holes are punched
    - Whoopie sling must take a smaller radius turn compared to being looped around a MSH, which will derate the whoopie more
    - Unknown effect on trees - will this hurt the trees more? Might be negligible
    - Higher amount of abrasion on whoopie sling
    - Not sure if the webbing will get sucked through the hole when load is applied

I don't have the ability to test this setup, so this is merely a proposal and request for comments. I don't know how much the webbing or whoopie will be derated and I don't have the opportunity to actually hang from it and see if it will hold.

I don't know the best way to create the holes in the webbing. I used a soldering iron and just melted my way through, which also sealed the edges. However, it did form a rough/jagged edge, which I trimmed down with diagonal cutters, but I could see this being a source of abrasion that might affect the whoopie sling.

Does anyone out there have the ability to create a set of swiss staps and load test them to see if they'll hold up?

For the record, I am using 1" polyester seatbelt webbing from strapworks.com and 7/64" amsteel blue in the photos (and in the field).

Here are the concept photos

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Maybe burn the holes? Otherwise, it definitely looks worth testing.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Another con for this set up is there is no drip ring and when it rains the water will run right down into the hammock, and at the very least if you are gonna put holes in the webbing then maybe you should think about 2 inch webbing as the holes will weaken the webbing, just my opinion though, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Another con for this set up is there is no drip ring and when it rains the water will run right down into the hammock, and at the very least if you are gonna put holes in the webbing then maybe you should think about 2 inch webbing as the holes will weaken the webbing, just my opinion though, good luck
    My drip prevention is down toward my hammock further. My whoopies are larksheaded to my hammock and I have some cotton string tied on the whoopies to keep the drips away.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by rmull View Post
    [URL="http://imgur.com/a/iyyYk"]...This will obviously derate the webbing a good deal, but I don't know how much.

At an an absolute minimum, the webbing will be derated by the same percentage as the percentage the diameter of the hole is to the width of the webbing. I suspect it will actually be derated by a higher percentage.

...The adjustable end of the whoopie sling can then be threaded through any of the holes. To prevent the whoopie sling from pulling back out of the hole, the tail of the swiss strap is threaded up through the loop formed by the end of the whoopie sling, effectively creating a stopper when the loop is pulled back through.

I think you will find the whoopie sling will be difficult to adjust in this configuration.

... Not sure if the webbing will get sucked through the hole when load is applied

I guarantee the whoopie will pull the webbing stopper through. At a 30* hang angle, the pull on the stopper will equal your full weight and that's ignoring dynamic loads which will increase the pull considerably as will a flatter than 30* hang angle.

...Does anyone out there have the ability to create a set of swiss staps and load test them to see if they'll hold up?

I do, but i don't want to fall down go boom.
    While I don't think this will work at all, please continue with your creative thinking as that's where the next great thing comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    While I don't think this will work at all, please continue with your creative thinking as that's where the next great thing comes from.
    Right on

There's got to be a way to lose the toggles somehow!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Right on

You can try folding the extra webbing and using that as a toggle. I just tried it on one of my straps and it seems to work. Have not hung from it yet though.

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Cat's Meow & IX UQ
    Suspension
    12'Poly Tree Strap
    Could be cool. Just remember to hang low the first time you try it!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Right on

Whoopie hook suspension.

Available here.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Make the holes button hole slits. Minimal strength loss. Use something like a nacrabiner to attach the whoopee.

IMHO - way to much work to save an ounce or two.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast