Z-Line Slick Dyneema Cord

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml
    scroll down to:
    Z-Line Slick Dyneema Cord

1.75 mm / 450lb Z-Line Slick
    .054 oz / yd
    1.7 grams / meter
    .9 oz / 50 feet

Has anyone used Z-Line Slick for making guy lines, ridge lines, and such?
    If so, can I tie knots in it, or do I need to splice it? Are there any available tutorials on how to work with it? Is this just zing it? I did a quick search for more info about it but came short on tutorials for it.

I was thinking about the z line slick with the Micro Line Loc Guy Line Adjusters for my adjustable guy lines.

Or should i just avoid all the fuss/confusion and just us the z-line (which I dont know much about either) with the micro line loc guy line adjusters? so many questions

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have one tarp rigged with zing it and use the micro line locks. Works great.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    It is good line. I don't think you can splice it. It is not as stiff as the regular Z-line (which does not hold a knot well, but resists tangles). The z-line slick does hold a knot well. Actually, if you get a really tight knot, it can be hard to get it out. I use my line for bear bagging, since the line is kinda flat and slides easily over branches.
    I have used it with tarp Flyz, it is a little less prone to being cut by the Flyz than the regular z-line.

I use the regular z-line for my tarp tie outs and have switched to 1.75 mm zing it for ridgelines due to the Z-line being prone to failure when using Dutch hooks and tarp flyz. I have not had any issues with breakage of the z-line, as long as I don't use hardware that could cut it, such as sharp-edged Y-stakes, Tarp Flyz, Stingers, etc.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    It is good line. I don't think you can splice it. It is not as stiff as the regular Z-line (which does not hold a knot well, but resists tangles). The z-line slick does hold a knot well. Actually, if you get a really tight knot, it can be hard to get it out. I use my line for bear bagging, since the line is kinda flat and slides easily over branches.
    I have used it with tarp Flyz, it is a little less prone to being cut by the Flyz than the regular z-line.

I use the regular z-line for my tarp tie outs and have switched to 1.75 mm zing it for ridgelines due to the Z-line being prone to failure when using Dutch hooks and tarp flyz. I have not had any issues with breakage of the z-line, as long as I don't use hardware that could cut it, such as sharp-edged Y-stakes, Tarp Flyz, Stingers, etc.
    Thanks this was very helpful!

Hammock
    WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks
    I just received some of this stuff for a CRL on my HHex tarp. It is definitely slippier than other materials, but I was able to get the knots to hold. Works great now and is really light and low profile.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post

It is interesting you bring up the breakage. This was my only concern after getting my current setup installed. The dutch tarp flyz tie off(?) area is really tight and when I unhook it the line looks bent and very compressed. So far there are no issues, but I can definitely see it causing damage over time.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinpn View Post
    It is interesting you bring up the breakage. This was my only concern after getting my current setup installed. The dutch tarp flyz tie off(?) area is really tight and when I unhook it the line looks bent and very compressed. So far there are no issues, but I can definitely see it causing damage over time.
    I meant the stingerz, not the flyz.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    It's solid braid, so no splicing. That right there means I wouldn't use it for a ridge line.

For guy lines I use 1.25mm z-line. Works great, and doesn't tangle. Can be a bit difficult to hold a taut line to itself because of that though (line is stiff), but you can get it to hold.

For a ridge line I'd rather use dynaglide. It's the same or similar cost as lash-it, cheaper than this stuff, stronger, and splice-able. It also weighs less than both of those by a slight margin, if you're counting grams

The only down side of dynaglide is it's only available in orange or neon green . I like the orange, personally, but then again I also painted a room in my house orange...

The orange looks like "Fling It" which is more of a square profile and 2.2mm.

Zing it is more oval/flat.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Would like to note, that the micro line locs do not work well with the zline 1.25 for a tarp ridgeline for the superfly. The lines slip through as there is too much tension. They work fine for the guylines though. I switched to using the plastic figure 9s for my ridge line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast