Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Hanging Indoor With Mayan - Distance from wall?

Hello,

Just as the title says, how far from the wall along the side of the hammock should i be hanging my Mayan hammock? Everyone focusses on the distance in length and height, but no one seems to measure the width.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Chances of anyone over 6' tall laying in my bed is slim to none. I, myself, am 5'7.5".

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Clark TX250 camo w/weathershield
    I'm by far no expert, since I just got my first hammock a couple of weeks ago, but I think the reason nobody measures width is because it's a measurement that doesn't really matter. As long as you can get in easily and it doesn't touch the wall when you are in the hammock, it shouldn't matter.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    From parallel walls:
    I say, unless tight on space, that you should divide the width in half i.e. 60" wide 30" from wall. This is for those times when it becomes a chair and you're in the middle at 90° to the ridgeline if you would have one.
    Adjacent walls:
    It is important that you're hang still complements the walls so that you end up parallel to the long wall with an asym lay.
    As long as a window is not an obstacle no less than 2 studs. If you have a true corner this would be 32" as studs are 16" apart some older homes are 12" but 24" would be a tight hang 36" would be better. For a 45° angle and a 10' ridgeline length 7 feet from the corner is about right.

If you need to cut the distance between studs someone just had a thread about " Decorative Anchors" basically a board with the hook or loop in the middle and to attachment points for lag screws on each side.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Studs in a house are approx 16 inches apart and there for if you find a stud is the first step. Depending on the house layout the first stud from the well and then measure 16 inches away from the side wall from the closes stud. Most likely you will end up 24 to 32 inches from the wall but I would think you would want to be atleast the 32 inches for turning comfort.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you like the hammock to rock you to sleep, hang it a bit further away from the wall. It's really annoying if your feet keep bumping into the wall. I would probably find two trees, set up the hammock, and then simulate the wall with another person, a chair or whatever you can find. Then measure the distance you are comfortable with.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Thanks everyone for your insights!

I am indeed a rocker! I loved that feeling I had yesterday when I took my new Freebird out for it's second test drive. It was one of the things I found myself looking forward to while laying there, that I could experience this every night....

I just might take it outside (it should stop snowing by tomorrow), hutzelbein (she's got the ticket!). I don't want to make any unnecessary holes in my rented apartment walls, and this might be the key, in conjunction with recognising my stud limitations.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Go to the calculator, do not pass go, straight to the ultimate hang calculator.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

I hang about 1.5' from my desk in my office, it makes for a sizable night stand and allows a little swanging.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Go to the calculator, do not pass go, straight to the ultimate hang calculator.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

I hang about 1.5' from my desk in my office, it makes for a sizable night stand and allows a little swanging.
    Don't worry, the calculator has been used thoroughly by me!

Are you using a Mayan hammock near your desk or a gathered end? This is the thing that's got me.... With the Mayans I understand the diagonal is almost a perpendicular, unlike the gathered end hammocks. Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly? I have a jumbo Mayan hammock, and as I know I will not stretch it out the full 10', the angle of the stretch though would cause it to stick out further than say my Freebird that's only 58" wide.

I've actually contacted the seller and will hopefully get this straightened out and my hammock hung!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Gathered end, hang it up outside and take some measurements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Don't worry, the calculator has been used thoroughly by me!

Are you using a Mayan hammock near your desk or a gathered end? This is the thing that's got me.... With the Mayans I understand the diagonal is almost a perpendicular, unlike the gathered end hammocks. Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly? I have a jumbo Mayan hammock, and as I know I will not stretch it out the full 10', the angle of the stretch though would cause it to stick out further than say my Freebird that's only 58" wide.

I've actually contacted the seller and will hopefully get this straightened out and my hammock hung!
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Okay, I'm back. I haven't had a chance to take it outside, due to work, but I did hear back from hammock boutique. Just in case anyone else is wondering this, here's what she said:

If hanging parallel to the wall, leave one arm's distance (for me this is 2') between the hammock and the wall, but if hanging at and angle there should be no issue. If children are using the hammock and swinging on it as they would moreso than an adult, then leave a full meter between the hammock and the wall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast