Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: portable stand

portable stand

I guess this is the best place to post this question...
    has anyone tried to make one of these? http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_madera.htm
    It would seem easy enough. Some 2x2 or 2x3, an eyelet bolt, some rope and a stake. I am imagining a solid ridgeline would keep the legs upright when not under tension. This would be for backyard or car camping.
    How high to stands have to be anyway?
    Scott

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Mine are 6' long. When spread, the anchor point for the hammock is about 5' high. I used an anchor bolt for the pivot point. I also attached a couple of eye hooks at the the bottom of each bar. I run a thin strong line from each eye hook when set up. This prevents the bars from kicking out to the side under pressure.

I have not used it with the stake hold down. Occassionally while car camping I can't find two suitable trees but can almost always find at least one. (Tree telephone pole...whatever) Since I don't totally trust the stake tie down I usually can position my car so the final stakeout is to the trailer hitch of my car. It works great....just don't forget to untie your hammock when going for that all important beer run.

It's nice backup system when car camping. Must be the stakeout system works but I personally trust my Honda Element much more.

Good Luck, Miguel

PS Use a good hardwood...not pine.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    This thread has some good info on that type of stand.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've used a DIY version but found that the stakes are the problem. Despite using very large and long stakes and even using a 2' rebar (1' in the ground with the top tied back to two 10" stakes) I always end up pulling out the stakes. May just be the nature of the soil in my yard.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I've used a DIY version but found that the stakes are the problem. Despite using very large and long stakes and even using a 2' rebar (1' in the ground with the top tied back to two 10" stakes) I always end up pulling out the stakes. May just be the nature of the soil in my yard.
    Have you ever tried those big stakes for anchoring a dog tie out in the ground? I'm not talking about the screw in type. The stakes I have seen are bright orange "V" shaped stakes that are probably 18" long and are made from very heavy steel. Seems to me that they ran about $8 each at Walmart.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    And I guess I don't have to tell you where the supports wind up heading when a stake pulls. Bingo...right on top of you! Always sleep with your head at the other end when using this system. It's why I tie off to my Honda.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I was napping one morning in the hammock woke up when I hit the ground with a gentle thud. Hammock was hung very low. Sure enough, next thing to hit me was the support A-frame.

I've been using the brightly colored (yellow and pink) large long plastic stakes from Home Depot. My main problem is that I only have a few inches of topsoil over mostly rock.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I haven't made anything permanent like that, but I've lashed together poles before and used them as a bipod. I like to stake it down in an "N" shape. If that doesn't ring any bells that's where your line attaches low on the first stake, then a second line goes from the top of the first stake to a low point on a second stake making an "N" shape when you look at it from the side. You can also just tie to the base of a bush or small tree instead of staking.

* I agree with putting your head toward the tree - in these photos I was trying to face the camera for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought of a solution to the staking. Use a 2x4 as a ridge line between the supports. The forces pulling the two supports would be greatly lessened and it would still be an easily transportable stand (with a roof rack). I know of one place I intend to hang that has no trees, so supporting both ends is necessary.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Using a tripod on each end with a ridgepole is what TurtleLady uses. She worked with a friend of ours who works in metal, and they fabricated a design that packs into her car trunk. I keep waiting for her to describe it here, but she hasn't. She's bringing it over Tuesday night when she comes to stay with me so she can take me to the airport to fly back to WA next week. I'll know more about it after that. I want to try to fabricate it out of wood. Or, bribe our friend to fabricate one like hers for me. There is a picture of her and part of the stand showing in neo's pictures from his recent hangout.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast