So, here's the deal. I've decided to get off the ground. I've joined this forum and have been reading for a few weeks. Let me say that this has been a truly educational experience and a pleasurable one. Everyone here generously and graciously shares their knowledge.

I am now faced with a basic dilemma. I see that some hammocks have two layers of nylon and some have one.

I understand that the strength of a hammock should be matched to the weight of the occupant. I'm sort of in the middle on that statistic, so I could go with two thin layers or one slightly heavier layer.

I need help deciding which option is better for me.

My style is close to ultralight. I like things simple and minimal. I carry small, frameless backpacks that weigh less than a pound. Even in winter in New England, I carry very little clothing. My entire kit in summer is less than 10 lbs. and in winter is about 15 lbs., not counting food & water.

I give you this background, so that you can see why I am leaning toward a single layer hammock. But, if double layer hammocks offer some unresistable something, I'm ready to reconsider.

In my untried opinion, a double layer has the following disadvantages: Instead of having to stuff a pretty big wad of nylon into a stuff sack, I would have to stuff two pretty big semi-connected wads in. This resulting in a larger package, not to mention, a heavier one (remember, I'm a gram weenie).

I have read that one can slide their CCF pad in between the two layers. Some have said that this is better then laying on the foam, but honestly, I'm not convinced a paper thin layer of nylon would make a lot of difference.

On the same note, some have said that the two layers hold the pad in place. Perhaps, but what if it does shift? If the pad was inside the hammock with you, it could be adjusted, but to adjust it between the layers would mean exiting the hammock, right?

I can only speculate my hammocking behavior at this point, but I foresee using a pad only in warm weather. I have a 1/8" thick, 84"x30" CCF hammock pad that I bought from Gossamer Gear years ago. (Guess I had a premonition I'd become a hanger). It weighs 7 oz. As soon as it gets too cold for that, I would switch to a down UQ. I've become pretty handy wth my sewing machine! I could make one under 1 lb. for 3 season and one about 1.5 lbs. for winter. So mostly, I think I would be using an UQ, except during the hottest part of the year.

So now that I've shared my imagined hammock experience, please tell me the real scoop!