Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images

January Scout Outing

Each year we invite the Webelos II (cubs about to cross over to boy scouts) to join our troop on a cabin camping trip to Pine Grove PA (very close to the infamous 501 shelter). After a few years to dealing with the upper floor of the log cabin (noise, wild temperature variation due to the scouts getting the coal furnace going too well then letting it die out, and the family of flying squirrels running around all night) I decided to camp out....this year was the first in my hammock with my new 7/8 length underquilts.com winter quilt stacked with my WL 20 degree 3/4 underquilt and my DIY top quilt.

The first night was really balmy with a low of only 28 degrees. I was plenty warm and slept beautifully, except for the 3:30 bathroom break when I found out it had been snowing, so I had to switch out of my down booties before relieving myself. When I first woke up I hear a funny noise of nylon swooshing every 5 minutes or so. I found out it was the snow accumulating then flying off of the silnylon.

My setup after I awoke.

Another shot after I cleaned the snow out of my gear I had under my hammock (snow blows in a lot farther than rain), this one a little further back to show the cozy spot I had.

And another after I was ready for Saturday night. Lows were at 17 degrees.

I added a fleece blanket over my top quilt to catch the moisture from my breath and closed the doors from the back side to block the wind a little more. I awoke at 4:00 and had to vent I got so warm....a great outing. Especially when I found out that one of the boys got sick in the cabin and they spent an hour cleaning up the mess.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a good time hanging in the piney woods!
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Looks like a fantastic few nights, great spot! Having spent more than my fair share of nights supervising youngun's camping I completely understand you opting for space outside - sometimes even the same mountain is too close to them lol

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    Looks like a fantastic few nights, great spot! Having spent more than my fair share of nights supervising youngun's camping I completely understand you opting for space outside - sometimes even the same mountain is too close to them lol
    Thanks, one of the real difficult issues is the temperature fluctuation inside the cabin.

We have another cabin campout in 3 weeks. I plan on hanging outside then too.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Looks like a great trip, my hats off to anyone helping kids.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    I'm glad you could get out of the cabin! Are those Twilights, or off brands? Don't they make the campsite happier?
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a hammock lover View Post
    I'm glad you could get out of the cabin! Are those Twilights, or off brands? Don't they make the campsite happier?
    I love the lights. I think they are an off brand, just a few bucks at amazon.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Looks great. We have a cabin campout at the end of the month over in Indiana and I was planning on doing the same thing, hanging outside

Images
    We have our crossover weekend on 2/28-3/1. Pending I can get off work, I plan on doing the same thing, Pitching the old hammock and trying to brave the cold elements. I don't have all the cold weather gear but going to try and improvise on a few things.

• + New Posts