Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Anyone tried this with a hex fly or same length(12ft) tarp attached directly to the hammock suspension to see if it solves the sagging issues? Just wondering as I will most likely be getting a hennessy for the advantage of quick setup with everything together in the snakeskins and am considering getting the hex tarp for more coverage. Being able to have the tarp attached directly to the hammock is somewhat important for my purposes though so if it won't work well I will most likely get the standard diamond fly.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    Anyone tried this with a hex fly or same length(12ft) tarp attached directly to the hammock suspension to see if it solves the sagging issues? Just wondering as I will most likely be getting a hennessy for the advantage of quick setup with everything together in the snakeskins and am considering getting the hex tarp for more coverage. Being able to have the tarp attached directly to the hammock is somewhat important for my purposes though so if it won't work well I will most likely get the standard diamond fly.
    Any tarp will work. I've used rectangular and hex tarps. It isn't so much the shape or size of the tarp but how you pitch the hammock suspension.

The trick isn't to get _exactly_ 30-degrees, as I've found it working on different angles (20°, 40°). I think it is more about setting an angle larger than 20 degrees to minimize the amount of stretch on the line that contributes to the sag.

Side tie-outs helps, but don't solve the problem of the tarp ridge line sagging down.

As you set the suspension of the hammock with the angle, let's say 25°, pull the tarp up the suspension enough that it is near-taut and so it pulls the hammock suspension closer together. I may have to illustrate this as I'm coming sort on how to describe it.

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Any tarp will work. I've used rectangular and hex tarps. It isn't so much the shape or size of the tarp but how you pitch the hammock suspension.

The trick isn't to get _exactly_ 30-degrees, as I've found it working on different angles (20°, 40°). I think it is more about setting an angle larger than 20 degrees to minimize the amount of stretch on the line that contributes to the sag.

Side tie-outs helps, but don't solve the problem of the tarp ridge line sagging down.

As you set the suspension of the hammock with the angle, let's say 25°, pull the tarp up the suspension enough that it is near-taut and so it pulls the hammock suspension closer together. I may have to illustrate this as I'm coming sort on how to describe it.

I think I got it. Set the hang angle, stake down the tarp, then tighten it on the ridgeline. I've just read a lot of things about the hex tarps being too big to attach directly to the suspension lines and was just wondering if this method would solve whatever issues caused people to not like a big fly like the hex be hooked to the hammock lines. I really like the idea of the hennessy "all-in-one" rigging as I am looking to get involved in wildland firefighting. At the end of a 14-16 hour day the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of time setting up multiple components of a shelter system lol.

Hammock
    HHSS
    Tarp
    HH catenary mod
    Insulation
    pad or sheep
    Suspension
    clamcleat
    I got sick of the sagging of the tarp also, the flapping in the wind, the water build-up in the top, it looked like a newbe camper all the time.
    Finally, i had time during my vacation to adress this...
    I have the old version with nylon hook and ring.
    I took the black cord from the tie-outs and put green reflective back, so i wouldn't trip anymore...
    The prussik knots were removed of the suspension and tarp, and i fed the suspension cord through the little hole of the hook of the tarp, and put the prussik back on.
    The old black cords were knotted at the o rings besides these hooks.
    So, i hang my hammock quite thight, and i set my tarp also, but i string my black cords also from my tarp towards the trees.
    So, i got a sag with the hammock, the tarp stays at the same tension, even a bit more and no flapping anymore....
    WP_20140712_003.jpg
    But still, my tarp is a bit worn out, and is stretcht out in the centre of the fabric....
    So, i found a simple solution to this, a thin aluminium pole ( 8 mm ) of 2,66 meter sits exactly between the tieouts in an arc vertikally like a tunneltent.
    Which gives me more options, almost flat with vertikal lines to the ground, so no tripping.
    One side down, for wind shelter and to stand besides the hammock under the tarp for sorting your stuff or cooking.
    Two sides down, for bad weather.
    And everytime a perfect tarp without flapping or dripping..
    WP_20140712_005.jpg
    Last edited by hangmarter; 07-13-2014 at 14:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12