WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I was just looking at the seven devils hike the other day. Looks like fun!
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TomsBackwoods View Post
    I was just looking at the seven devils hike the other day. Looks like fun!
    We might have to try and put that together. I got up there once a couple years ago and then we got slammed by really heavy rain storms. With half the folks underprepared for rain (hey it was August in Idaho, never rains like we had then ) we ended up bailing. I would like to put that loop trip up there together.

Here is my trip report from that trip: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=10076
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    That is a long ways from west of Seattle across Puget Sound, but if I can make the dates work, I'll see what I can do. Outside of areas along the St. Joe and Kelly Creek, Idaho is unknown to me. If there would be others from western WA or along the travel route that would be interested in going, I hope to hear from them about a carpool!

What would the trout fishing possibilities be during that timeframe?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Mumbles,

On the fishing,
    Little to none right at Pioneer CG. But some options within a resonable drive. If we do South Fork of the Boise then lots of good fishing very close. The river it self and dozens of small feeder streams all have great fishing. The Boise above Bumgartner CG is trophy regs...artificial fly or lure, barbless hook and you can't keep anything under 20". The feeder streams are open to any method as is the river down stream.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Mumbles,

On the fishing,
    Little to none right at Pioneer CG. But some options within a resonable drive. If we do South Fork of the Boise then lots of good fishing very close. The river it self and dozens of small feeder streams all have great fishing. The Boise above Bumgartner CG is trophy regs...artificial fly or lure, barbless hook and you can't keep anything under 20". The feeder streams are open to any method as is the river down stream.
    Mr. Arrowhead is dealing out the awesome information. I've been a barbless fly only fisherman for quite a while now, so I'm game for the area you are describing. Thank you.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Parachute Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm in. Live in Nampa. Will probably just head up Friday afternoon (around 3/4) but may just take the day off.

@pgibson Are there any spring-time places that are good to go backpacking and hanging? When tent camping it's really nice to go out in the desert during the spring because it's different than the usual Sawtooth hiking (which is also wonderful). But deserts don't really have many trees, so all my old knowledge is pretty useless. I can start a new thread somewhere if you think it wise, but you're pretty local (about an hour away) so I'm hoping you might have an idea or two.
    Last edited by duallain; 01-28-2014 at 17:56.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    We might have to try and put that together. I got up there once a couple years ago and then we got slammed by really heavy rain storms. With half the folks underprepared for rain (hey it was August in Idaho, never rains like we had then ) we ended up bailing. I would like to put that loop trip up there together.

Here is my trip report from that trip: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=10076
    Sounds Like a plan! I would love to give it a tryAlthough I think the 7 devils will kick my butt
    Give me a pm sometime!
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by duallain View Post
    I'm in. Live in Nampa. Will probably just head up Friday afternoon (around 3/4) but may just take the day off.
    Duallain, will be cool to have you join us.

@pgibson Are there any spring-time places that are good to go backpacking and hanging? When tent camping it's really nice to go out in the desert during the spring because it's different than the usual Sawtooth hiking (which is also wonderful). But deserts don't really have many trees, so all my old knowledge is pretty useless. I can start a new thread somewhere if you think it wise, but you're pretty local (about an hour away) so I'm hoping you might have an idea or two.
    There are some options but it varies a good bit year to year on the snow load and how early "spring" is for you. The hike out of pioneer that I posted my trip report from in the first post of this thread is accessible semi early in the season as it's a good bit lower than the sawtooths. But it is tough this time of year to find much and that stretches for a few months. Hells canyon is one I tend to hear about every year...there are some spots that have scrubby trees and or rocks that I have seen used. Being lower elevation it gets warmer sooner but I would do some serious recon on google earth before heading there...especially if others in the group were on the ground and camp spots were mutually decided.

About this time of year is when MuseJr. and I start planning a trip south, southern Utah or Arizona. Last spring (late april) we headed south from here to a small stream to fish about 50 miles from me. We set up a stand to spend the night on the desert and hiked in for fish during the day....planning to do that again this spring but I am looking for an easier to set up stand system.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TomsBackwoods View Post
    Sounds Like a plan! I would love to give it a tryAlthough I think the 7 devils will kick my butt
    Give me a pm sometime!
    They are butt kickers for sure...I was dragging after that 2 day trip...I need to get in much better shape to do the full thing.

Lets make it happen.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Ok want to bump this thread....we are getting closer and we should start firming up the plan.

I have been checking the Reserve America site regarding making a reservation at the Bumgartner campground (the Pioneer CG near Fairfield would not hold more than 4-5 vehicles and hammocks) But it looks like for the time being Bum is out of the question as well. The fires in the area last summer have the CG closed for public safety until they can be evaluated. Would not want a burned tree 3 miles away to fall on someone in the CG.

So I have been trying to come up with an alternative that will still be family friendly, easily accessible and have some options for day hike, fishing, sight seeing and have lost of hammock options and space for 10-20....which would be a great turnout.

I have a couple options in mind with one standing out more than the other. Right off of the payment of Hwy 21 is Edna Creek CG a little over an hour north of Boise, and about 35 minutes from Idaho City.

It's a smaller fist come first served CG with a handful of sites, all of which have good trees and open areas. As well a functional well and pit bathrooms. A couple of small streams converge in the CG so there is the sound of flowing water at several of the sites. About a mile away is the Crooked River, which has a trail following the river down stream for a couple miles, Rainbow trout in the river. Just up the road from that a hundred yards is a 1 mile trail along Beaver Creek which has small brook trout in it. About 30 minutes down the road is a 4 mile (one way) hike to an aline lake that has good Cutthroat fishing and the option to bag a peak that overlooks the lake with a little more hiking.

This location is much less central though and I want know if that would be a huge factor? Many of the folks that expressed interest are looking at a significant drive to anywhere we hold it so not sure if that would matter or not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast