Hammock
    COOoon's Delight, Black
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    ENO Blaze
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Planning a trip with dad to Dinosaur Valley...

TSU Hangar here. I'm hoping I posted in the correct place. Sorry if not, but here goes...
    As the topic line suggests I'm trying to plan a little hiking trip (two day in-n-out) with my dad for some father-son time, and dad's first hammock camping trip. Since we're both close to Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose, Tx. I was wanting to check the place out. Also hiking around and looking at dinosaur stuff sounds interesting. My question is: have any of you been there and know which primitive camp is best to hike to? There are seven or so, but I'm worried dad may not be able to handle one too far out. Any suggestions? I pulled the trail map off the internet, but it doesn't have first-hand accounts attached to it.

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    I've hiked there many times, and none of the primitive sites are very far. There are a couple of walk-in sites on the 'park' side of the river (just a few dozen yards from the road). Across the river there are several primitive sites at various locations on the hill, but none are that far away. All are close enough that I have hiked across the river to the campground for a hot shower and water each morning.

My preference is for the sites that are on the northern side (#2-4). From #1 you can be in the middle of the park campground in 20 min, if that is your preference. #7 is the most remote but still not a long walk.

Also, expect mountain bike traffic on the weekend at every site except #4 (it's at the end of a short spur) and none of the sites are on water (although #1 and #2 are only a short climb down to a feeder creek that usually has some water (not flowing in summer, though).

One final note: as a general rule the further east (and away from the river) you go, the higher up the hill and the more climbing there is. Nothing too difficult but something to consider if walking is an issue at all.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    COOoon's Delight, Black
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    ENO Blaze
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by wesbri View Post
    I've hiked there many times, and none of the primitive sites are very far. There are a couple of walk-in sites on the 'park' side of the river (just a few dozen yards from the road). Across the river there are several primitive sites at various locations on the hill, but none are that far away. All are close enough that I have hiked across the river to the campground for a hot shower and water each morning.

My preference is for the sites that are on the northern side (#2-4). From #1 you can be in the middle of the park campground in 20 min, if that is your preference. #7 is the most remote but still not a long walk.

Also, expect mountain bike traffic on the weekend at every site except #4 (it's at the end of a short spur) and none of the sites are on water (although #1 and #2 are only a short climb down to a feeder creek that usually has some water (not flowing in summer, though).

One final note: as a general rule the further east (and away from the river) you go, the higher up the hill and the more climbing there is. Nothing too difficult but something to consider if walking is an issue at all.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the info! That's good to know. I guess seeing is believing though, because the map doesn't claim to be to scale. Being able to hike back to showers tells me this may be a perfect intro to hiking and hammocking. Thanks again!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' single Hexon1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DW Cinch Buckle
    I just saw this thread and thought that I'd be concerned if my son asked me to go to someplace named Dinosaur Valley. I am thinking to myself, "Just what is he trying to imply???? Does he think I am that old???"

Enjoy your father-son time.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end tablecloth
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix 20
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    The outlook campsite is suppose to have a nice view. I will probably be out there on the first.

• + New Posts