ENO double
    Tarp
    need one
    Insulation
    TrailLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie

How much $ to spend on a tarp

I've been looking around trying to make a bargain purchase on a tarp, but the low end of the price range seems to be around $70 to $80. Are there any reliable products out there that come in underneath that? I'm not a DIY'er but am not opposed to 'outsourcing' a DIY project if it would save me some money. I've also looked at the Chinook tarps which seem to be a good bargain, but I haven't been able to find detailed pics of them opened up, hung, and close-ups of the seams and guy points. Any advice is appreciated.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Outsourcing your DIY project is exactly what you would be doing if you were to take advantage of any of the cottage vendors you'll learn about on this site. Would it save you money? No, the cheapest products will always be mass produced with the least costly materials. Would you benefit from years of R&D plus trial and error? Definitely!

My experience has been that spending a bit more on the right tarp definitely delivers a superior product. The difference between my $70 (ENO) tarp and my $85 (Warrbonnet Edge) is far, far greater than the $15 would suggest. My Warbonnet Superfly, $130, provides all the shelter I'll ever need. If I'd have bought my Superfly first, I would have saved about $400 that I have spent on other, less useful, tarps.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    You won't be disappointed spending the extra money. Just don't go out to eat for a couple weeks to make up for the cost. Arrowhead Equipment sells a $100 tarp that's excellent. You'll have to figure out your guy line situation though, which is easy enough if you have paracord laying around (cheap option).

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    need one
    Insulation
    TrailLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the input so far. I've spent quite a bit of money upgrading my equipment this year and I think my wife is staring to think I'm planning on making a run for it. That's my main motivation for trying to save a buck or two, but I understand the value of having a quality product that will last.

Images
    If you are not in a hurry watch the forsale section.
    I've picted up a couple very nice tarps at very good prices from guys cleaning their closets...
    One trick I do is make a spread sheet of all the tarps you are interested in and set a max price you want to pay.
    Then when a tarp goes up forsale you can post the "I'll take it" before others do their research.

hth

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One thing that some don't put together when they first get into hammocks is that the tarp is the most important part of your kit. Your tarp IS your shelter. It is what will keep you dry, block the wind, block the sun, block the rain and snow. If everything goes to crap in the woods and your left with spending the night trying to survive be it on the ground or hung in the trees your tarp is what you should be looking at as the most critical part of your shelter system. Your hammock will be useless in a rain storm if your tarp fails. Take the time and invest the money into the finding and learning how to use your tarp as well as getting the best quality tarp you can.

Most people getting started in hammocks get excited about all the other stuff....hammocks or all types and designs, insulation, ropes, shiny bits of metal.... but they don't put as much effort into a quality tarp and learning how to use it the best they can to get a solid shelter system sorted out.

OP please don't take that as a personal finger pointing....simply throwing that blanket out there to cover many new folks that jump in and are not sure where they should be putting $'s and research time. My $0.02 says put it into a good shelter to stay dry and warm for many nights and your time in the woods will be better for it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If you are not in a hurry watch the forsale section.
    I've picted up a couple very nice tarps at very good prices from guys cleaning their closets...
    One trick I do is make a spread sheet of all the tarps you are interested in and set a max price you want to pay.
    Then when a tarp goes up forsale you can post the "I'll take it" before others do their research.

hth
    Good tip for the wise shopper from a wise shopper. "thumbup:
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I really like my Warbonnet Edge, and it was definitely worth the money. My brother has a Guide Gear tarp from Sportsman's Guide. It's very inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. It would be a good intermediate tarp to "get by" with until you can buy something nicer. I had a Kelty Noah's Tarp before miy Edge, and it's also nice, but still pretty pricey, and very bulky. Not good for backpacking.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When you think about it, the tarp is probably the most important piece of kit you have. Like the others have said, that's an investment that can make or break your trip. There are so many good options available at every end of the price spectrum, that there's no reason to sacrifice quality. A good tarp can be had for around $100 with fancier more lightweight options going way up from there. I myself invested in cuben fiber because I care about weight.

Without getting too long winded, don't skimp on your weather protection.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    What are your criteria for a tarp? What use are you planning?

Unfortunately light weight, and cheap don't usually come in the same sentence.

Tarps are time consuming to make, and that's the majority of the expense. I can buy materials for 2 SuperFly's for the same cost as WB sells them for, but after labor of putting it together, it's not worth my while to sell to someone for much lower than what WB charges.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast