DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Indoor/Outdoor hammock stand

Now I can hang indoors in the winter or outdoors in the summer. It is 2" square tubing 11 guage. Dimensions are 14' 6" tip to tip, 5' 8" vertical from top of horizontal beam. This material came 24' for a full size piece. That did all the horizontal beam and both uprights and gussets and then I put two 4' pieces on for legs for a total of 32' of material. This stuff was about $2.16/ft so I have just about $70 in it. Angled pieces are 7' long each horizontal beam is probably about 7' total and two 4' legs and leftover was divided equally and welded in as gussets. I just hung two S hooks over the open end of the tubing uprights (rated at 150 lbs each) to hold my suspension. It flexes a little with me (215 lbs ) but not alarming at all. I plan to deck up the bottom with a little lumber across the legs in case of a fall we won't land our spine or tail bone on a 2" wide metal beam that is 4" above the surrounding floor/ground.

I went this route because it was about $50 cheaper than the cheapest production stand I could find at Lowes and that one was only 46" high and 15' wide tip to tip. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get enough sag with that and I am sure it's not constructed with the heaviest guage material you've ever seen. The other option I tried was a turtle dog stand which worked but with rambunctious cats and our traffic through the house I could see it was going to be knocked down more than standing up, same with outdoor use I didn't want to have to set it up each time I needed it. It worked well when in the hammock and is a very solid design but I am sure I will enjoy not having to set it up and take it down each time I want to use it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch hdwe
    Very nice. Wish I had the skills to make one of those myself.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice job.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    It looks great. I've been hunting down a indoor stand and so far turtlelady's design is on the front burner. Was there welding required on yours or do they sell 'joints' you can just stick your tubes in? Meaning no welding or cutting needed (unless the hardware store needs to cut it down)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Very nice rendition of the commercial stands, sized for our longer hammocks.

FWIW...I've had a TurtleLady stand set up on my deck for three years. Granted, I only hang a hammock on days I will be using it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Was there welding required on yours
    It is all welded. I thought about fabricating some custom fittings that I could just insert pieces of this material into but that would have been as much work as what I did and all it would have gotten me is making it more portable plus it may have been noisy or floppy unless I could find material that would have had just the right tolerances.

I have access to a wire feed welder and knocked out the layout, cutting, and welding all in less than 2 hours once I got the material to the shop. The paint was still a little tacky though when I moved it in that evening.

Very nice rendition of the commercial stands, sized for our longer hammocks.
    The commercial one I was looking at was actually a little wider than this one. It's the low height of the commercial unit that would have been a problem. I have an 11' hammock on the stand in the photo so if you knew you would only ever hang 10 footers off of it it could be trimmed down some but the savings probably wouldn't be worth the reduction in versatility unless you were just really cramped for room.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Very nice stand! Any idea how much the whole thing weighs?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My 9 year old daughter could lift one end for a little while to help me move it around, so I am guessing under 100 lbs total

• + New Posts