Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smokies Trip Report using a Hammock

This past weekend I went with a couple of other folks to the Smokies. We did a loop in the Catalochee area. We started out on the Caldwell Fork Trail and within a mile we started on the Boogerman Trail. This was named for a guy who lived there back in the early 1900's. What makes this trail so special is that he didn't allowing any logging to take place. There are some huge Hemlocks and Polars on this trip. We did find the remains of the Boogerman's home. The trail is only 3.8 miles and it reconnects with the Caldwell Fork trail. It took us a long time to hike it since there was so many things to see. Old rock walls that were 36" high by 24" wide by 100 yds long that were still standing. No mortar was used in building the wall. Old growth woods, artifacts found along the trail, trees so big you could stand inside them.

In keeping with the forum rules I did take my hammock and have pictures to prove it

The campsite we stayed at (#41) was nice and I did manage to find 2 trees to hang the hammock from. I did have a problem hanging my tarp since I use bungee cords. I got one side up but had to use some rope to attach the other side. once I got that done I finally managed to stretch the bungee enough to get it around the tree barely.
    It took me a while to get the hammock centered under the tarp. I would put it up, take it down, put it up, take it down many times before I got it close to center.
    I took my Insul Mat max pad which is mummy shaped in hopes that it would do better than the therm-a-rest did on Neo's car camping trip. I also used a 1/2" or is it a 1/4" ccf pad from Wal-Mart. I put both pads in the Speer SPE and placed them in the hammock.
    The next morning both pads and sleeping bag (used as a quilt) were pushed out the foot end of the hammock. The pad was also flat as a pancake. Somehow during the night the valve unscrewed and the air came out. My upper body (approx mid chest up) was laying directly on the hammock with no insulation. We figure the temps got to the low 40's to high 30's (no way of really knowing). I didn't sleep cold even with no insulation under me at the head end.
    I still don't know why the pads keep sliding towards the foot end. It feels like my feet are higher than my head. One good thing is that I didn't fall out this time
    I still toss and turn all night. I have learned to grab the hammock when I turn over from one side to the other. I cannot sleep on my back as I tried that..totally uncomfortable.
    I also noticed that it looks like the hammock is tilted to one side since the material on one side is higher than on the other side. When I am laying on my side and faceing the open side of the hammock the material is only at max 6" high but when I face the backside it is 12"+ high. Any thoughts?

If no one has ever hiked in the Smokies you are missing a lot of good trails. yes you do have to camp in designated spots or take a chance of getting a huge fine. There are quite a few non-reservation backcountry sites available.

On the way out we stopped at Campsite 40 to check it out. very nice and secluded but the trees were 24-36" diameter so unless you had extra strapping or rope you might have a problem.

Pics are here if you interested
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558379038xQJuQa

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Awesome pictures, Ewker. I enjoyed the slideshow, the effects are cool. Thanks for the link.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Ewker,

As always, beautiful pics. I;m glad to see that you are experimenting with hammocks. You must toss and turn a lot at night if you are pushing everything down to bottom of the hammock. I assume you don't have the same problem when using a tent?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

headchange4u, the only problem in my tent is rolling off the pad. In my tarptent I have put seam seal down on the floor to hold the pad in place.
    At home I toss and turn on my waterbed even using my c-pap machine.

Images

Pics

Good Pics Ewker.

That's a big tree. ~9 ft dia?

The wheel looks like it belonged to a steam tractor.

Thanks for posting,

Egads

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i really enjoyed looking at the pictures (used slide show). you do a good job w/ the camera.
    is it a point & shoot or SLR?
    i remember looking at that trail on a map several years back, but we changed plans & used other trails. that's a great trail. i had no idea they had the old houses there. really interesting. i need to get out there.
    i think you need a hammock made like i talked about a while back, but never did make one.
    it's a top entry hammock w/ built in SPE that's sewn to both sides. that way it's not going any where.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Tim, I use a Canon Digital Rebel SLR camera. It does get heavy after a while but I still carry it.
    That might work with the SPE attached to the inside of hammock. I wonder if velcro with a adhesive backing would hold to the hammock and the SPE.

Most of the old homes are on the Rough Trail. The Caldwell Fork Trail connects to it after a climb. Then it is a 2500' elevation drop.

While we were there the park service was doing a controlled burn in some of the fields and mountain sides. Unforunately we didn't see any Elk on this trip.
    Last edited by Ewker; 03-28-2007 at 22:03.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i finally broke down & sold my nikon N90 SLR & got a pretty nice digital point & shoot last year. it's an olympus 720. of course you loose a lot of control w/ the point & shoot, but it still does a great job.
    the velcro would probably pull loose in my thoughts. but if the SPE type sleeve was made the same width as the hammock & sewn to the hammock sides, it couldn't move. you would just slide in the main bottom pad (& side pads if needed) when you set up.
    how did you know that was elk droppings & not deer? bigger?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

yeah quite a bit larger than deer...looked like Milk Duds...lol

I have a t-shirt from the Rockies with an Elk on it.. It says Elk Duds..a smile with every pile...lol

you would have to hand sew the SPE in the hammock. Probably be best to hang the hammock put the pads in the SPE then lay in place. Tack the corners so it wouldn't move, take the pads out and sew it in place...sounds like a good job for you Tim want me to send you mine to try out

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Ewker,

Have you tried painting some silicone "stripes" on the bottom of your pad to keep it from sliding around?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast