Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good cheap LINE

Hammock
    ENO Single

Good cheap LINE

I've searched around the forum and found some nice ideas for line. What can be suggested for an all-round line (including structural)? All of the line that I currently have is crap, but it gets the job done. If you were starting over with line, would you go with one spool/one type? If so, what diameter/rating would you go with and where to buy? I'm thinking that my hammock is rated to 350 or 400 lbs, so a 400 lb line should do the trick, right?

Also, the always undertow = The cheapest suggestion shall win.

Thx in advance. This forum has been GREAT!!

zul

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I don't really have a suggestion for line, but just wanted to point out that knots weaken rope because when rope is bent the force is no longer distributed evenly through all the fibers. So to preserve your 400 lb rating, I'd get something quite a bit stronger. I'll let the mathletes argue over just how much strength is adequate..

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I'm interested in this as well. Specifically:

I want:

Tarp tie outs (both to ground and to tree.)
    Ridgeline (for hammocky pitch adjusting goodness and bugnet suspension)

I'm not fussed: (but others might be)
    tying hammock to tree lines (I use webbing, ala speer. )

Thanks all!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    mason's line is good cheap stuff for the tarp tie outs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Here's where I've started getting cordage:

http://tinyurl.com/qtt24u

It should link you to campmor.com. If not, search mammut and then click on the cord link. Its not Amsteel, but the break strenghts range from 200 lbs up to 2000+. I use the 3mm which has a break strenght of 350lbs for my tarp ridge line. Mason (braided of course) is great because its so light, but it tangles to easy for me. I actually just switched out me tarps to the Mammut cord yesterday. Hope that helps.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

I'm using 7/64'ths Amsteel Blue for tarp to tree ties. That size works great with figure nines. Redden Marine has it for sixteen cents/ft. 10-12 ft for each end is plenty. If you call Redden Marine they will only charge you actual postage (about a buck) for your small order if you ask them. This stuff also makes a good bear bag line, you'll need 40 ft for that. I use 1.75mm Lash-it for stake ties, about 8ft each.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Lots of folks have used Spyderline with success -- smallest diameter for ridgelines, etc, and next up diameter for structural needs line. I've been getting the 7/64 Amsteel Blue lately too, and have been very impressed with it.

As for tarp tie-outs, 550 paracord works just fine for me, from my local outfitter.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    [QUOTE=zul;122078] If you were starting over with line, would you go with one spool/one type?QUOTE]

I would not use the same line. Your tarp has no need for lines with that much strength. It would also make the folded tarp unnecessarily large and hamper packing. You said cheap and good. I'm not an engineer but I'll say it anyway...pick one. Sorry but that really is the case here. You can use mason line (braided, not twisted or it will be a complete mess in short order) or some small diameter drapery cord from a fabric store. On short hikes I could deal with either of these. For hikes where there will be a lot of rain or where I will be setting up several nights, this would drive me crazy. Nothing, IMO, is more frustrating than to try and untangle tarp lines at the end of a hard day of hiking or trying to deploy a tarp to prepare for a fast approaching storm and have the wind whip the lines into a rats nest that defies logic by seeming to have neither a begining or an end. For me, it's solid core line on my tarp (like Ed Speer sells). No muss, no fuss. Wad it up and pack it away and it almost always drops cleanly to the ground as I hang my tarp. It is more expensive, but to me it would be worth saving up my money for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    I'm thinking that my hammock is rated to 350 or 400 lbs, so a 400 lb line should do the trick, right?
    In a word, NO! I won't go into the math either because there are several threads here already devoted to it. Several people here have broken cords rated at 550 lbs. Some here use lines rated in excess of 2000 lbs. If you want good and cheap, I may be able to help you here. For about a year and a half I used 3/8" hollow core, braided poly rope. I have no idea what the rating was but it worked well, had very little stretch, was light weight, and was cheap. The only reason I quit using it was because I got tired of using tree huggers. Test it with a low hang first. As with so many things today, some of it is not made quite as well as it should be. BTW, I am not the only one here that has used this type rope. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to look fuzzy, it's time to change it out. Another cheap and lightweight option is to use cargo strap webbing from Harbor Freight. Very cheap and mondo strong. Good Luck!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Lots of folks have used Spyderline with success -- smallest diameter for ridgelines, etc, and next up diameter for structural needs line. I've been getting the 7/64 Amsteel Blue lately too, and have been very impressed with it.

As for tarp tie-outs, 550 paracord works just fine for me, from my local outfitter.
    550 cord is nylon, as such, it will stretch appreciably when it gets wet. If a windy, rainy storm blows in during the night your tightly strung tarp will start flapping like a sail. If you don't mind climbing out and tightening figure-nines, then fine. I prefer 7/64 Amsteel so I can stay in my hammock.

Also, the OD green "550 cord" most use tests out at 375# before the knots. That is, if it is even milspec to begin with. The white milspec paracord that is used on reserve parachutes is actually 550# test.

Images
    Your not asking about one line for tarp, RL AND hammock suspension, right?

But for all things tarp related, I love the orange ( Spectra?) tangle resistant line from Ed Speer. It is a bit expensive, but works so great. It is stiff for the diameter, which means you can "push" on it with some success, and really is tangle resistant compared to any thing else I have used. I think it is rated at 275 lbs.

Considering I don't pull my RLs very tight, and they always end up a little looser after I get in, I'm sure it would also work as RL, though I have never used it for that.

One of my Wind River hike group used mason line last year on my advice, but it kind of sucked ( at least compared to the Speer, but it was much cheaper) and has been removed. It was very tangle prone. However, when I recommended it, I did not know about the braded vs twisted mentioned above by T-Back, so maybe I need to look into that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast