Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best hammock for cold weather?

I am going to spend the last two weeks of Sept. in the Colorado high country with my camera. I am wanting to get a hammock setup that will will keep me warm and not over load my pack. I have never camped with a hammock before so it is all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's not the hammock but the insulation that is important. A combo of top and under insulation is whats needed combined with good wind protection via a tarp or even a hammock sock. If you have the money, look into the underquilts and top quilts offered by the vendors here.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

the best hammock really depends on how you are going to do your insulation. a double layer is good for a pad, a single if you are using an underquilt is fine, there are those with built in pockets for shoving various things in to keep you warm, and I've even seen one made out of all down like sleeping in the underquilt itself.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Welcome and start looking in the archives...its unbelievable the information about all things outdoor you'll find in there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elk71 View Post
    I am going to spend the last two weeks of Sept. in the Colorado high country with my camera. I am wanting to get a hammock setup that will will keep me warm and not over load my pack. I have never camped with a hammock before so it is all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    In september you probably will not need a hammock with a bug net.
    What's you height and weight? Hard to suggest a good hammock without that info.

2x on Bubba's post. The hammock is the cheap and easy part.

Welcome to the forum.

Camera huh? I do a bit of that myself. What are you hunting?

Here's some of what I hunt out here.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7638016955915/

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    There is a reason so many hammocks and styles exist. There isn't a best piece fo gear, or a best method. Even though I agree with my esteemed brother OandB on many things, I disagree with his conclusion of not using a bugnet past september. I use a bugnet post bug season as it provides significant warmth, stops crap from falling on my face when I have the tarp pulled back for clear nights, etc... Neither of us is right, it is only what is right for us.

Welcome to the addiction!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A few hammocks with the same common denominator come to mind. They all have a form of weather shield that blocks the wind and raises inside temps a reported 10 to 20 degrees. They are Dream Hammocks Dangerbird/Thunderbird, all Clark Hammocks, and the Warbonnet Ridgerunner with the Spindrift. I own all three and can testify that they all work as advertised making a huge difference when it's cold and/or windy. Of the four I believe the Dream Hammocks are the lightest. All are very high quality.

Miguel

Thanks for all the input. OutandBack Iam 6' 200lbs. I am going to try and get some good pictures of elk in the rut. I was an outfitter in the Platoro area for several years. I have started doing most of my hunting with a camera. This will be my first major backing trip. I have always used horses to pack in with. Next year Iam headed to Alaska I also use to outfitt up there. I had a bunch of good pictures from there till we lost our house to a fire a few years ago,so I am going to try and replace some of them.Thanks fro your help.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elk71 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. OutandBack Iam 6' 200lbs. I am going to try and get some good pictures of elk in the rut. I was an outfitter in the Platoro area for several years. I have started doing most of my hunting with a camera. This will be my first major backing trip. I have always used horses to pack in with. Next year Iam headed to Alaska I also use to outfitt up there. I had a bunch of good pictures from there till we lost our house to a fire a few years ago,so I am going to try and replace some of them.Thanks fro your help.
    Pagosa Springs is a very nice area. I hope you will share some of your trip when you return.
    @6' 200# just about any hammock in a 1.7 single layer ripstop will be fine. You can go thicker (1.9ish) if you prefer a little less stretch.

I would checkout Wilderness Logic's http://wildernesslogics.com/
    Snipe 11' single layer and for a tarp look at their Tadpole.
    WL also makes some really nice quilts.
    If you have a sleeping bag that will work fine however an underquilt would be in order for Southern Colorado in September at altitude.

For fall hanging I use a Snipe hammock and 20F underquilt.
    My tarp is a touch larger than the tadpole.

If you'd like to checkout several hammock setups feel free to look thru some of these picts. There aren't many I have not tried over the years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7632322638444/

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you are going to base camp I wonder if a bigger tarp with doors would be better - an extra half pound might make a lot more comfortable camp with better weather protection.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast