Lightbulb Hammock-like net bed- What type of rope to use?

Hi everyone,

Newcomer here. I'm looking to build something which isn't exactly a typical hammock, but thought you guys may have some insight nonetheless. I would like to build an outdoor poolside "bed" lounging area, something along the lines of the one in this photo. Around 5"x6", able to hold 2-3 people at a time. Question is, what is the best material to use for the netting so that stretch is kept to a minimum, and the bed stays fairly taut and doesn't sag (so if 2 people are laying on it, they don't get crushed together in the sagging middle like in a hammock…you know what I'm talking about!)? Dyneema/Spectra/UHMWPE? Polypropylene? Polyester? Something else? I'm thinking nylon will stretch too much. Also, should I buy the netting ready made, or weave my own? I'm hoping to spend less than $75 on the net itself, so ready made may be out of the question. The bed will be sitting poolside in Phoenix weather, so will be exposed to low humidity and little rain, but considerable UV rays. I'd also like for the rope to be plain white/silver/cream colored for aesthetic purposes. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by ajaxsnow; 01-24-2014 at 17:25. Reason: Add net to title

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Polyester is what I am thinking....but everything will have some stretch... Polyester, I believe have less stretch than nylon?

you could go with ballistic nylon, it would be heavy and thick but won't stretch as much.....or will take a lot of weight to stretch. Because of the weave and such, everything WILL stretch some....

what you COULD do....might not be as comfy but.... metal links. kind of what they use on bed frames without box springs and cots....and throw a futon mattress on it

with mesh, you're basically having a stretchy material regardless of what fabric until you get to the point of using metal....

with a solid body material, like say 1000D Cordura or Polyester canvas, you won't get as much stretch, due to the fact it's tightly woven and very very thick.....

easiest thing to use to test out..a 5x7 canvas tarp, which will stretch but hold weight pretty decently.....or a 5x7 poly plastic tarp, which wont hold up much weight.

Thanks for the ideas, Camo. I wouldn't want to use a futon mattress, since this will be outdoors, and any type of outdoor cushion will make the project considerably more expensive. I'm OK with laying a blanket or big beach towel down on top of the net for a bit more comfort...something that is removable and washable. I've considered something like canvas, but I'm wondering if water would pool in it when it rains, causing stains and general ickyness. The net doesn't have to be COMPLETELY stretch free...but static enough so if 2 people are on it, they don't roll into the middle, making it feel crowded.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxsnow View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, Camo. I wouldn't want to use a futon mattress, since this will be outdoors, and any type of outdoor cushion will make the project considerably more expensive. I'm OK with laying a blanket or big beach towel down on top of the net for a bit more comfort...something that is removable and washable. I've considered something like canvas, but I'm wondering if water would pool in it when it rains, causing stains and general ickyness. The net doesn't have to be COMPLETELY stretch free...but static enough so if 2 people are on it, they don't roll into the middle, making it feel crowded.

well; don't use coated canvas or polyester material, and you should be OK.... (they'll breath, thus also allow water through) one thing to keep in mind though, too tight of a tension, you'll turn the fabric into a sort of trampoline or drum...which while entertaining for some, turns annoying for others.
    as for the netting? I'm not rightly sure what material of netting they used in that picture you posted....but it does look like it's bought and then sewn up on the borders with the grommets....though, this is just me...I would just sew channels in the edges for the frame to pass through.... but if you're set on having rope suspension on the edge, make sure what you find will hold up to the weight you are considering; you said 2-3 people? and 5x6-7?

Good points. I'm not set on having the grommets/rope suspension set up. Definitely open to any other ways to secure the net to the frame. I was thinking the best way may be to do something similar to this, which is used on catamaran trampolines.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you might find your answer better in the boating community as what most folks here use is solid weave nylon or polyester. Poly will be better as it stretches much less than nylon. That said if the whole thing seems too tight after use try switching to nylon for the attachment rope.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    You may find that the catamaran tramp material would be your best bet. I would think it would come in various colors. When we had a cat, and needed to replace the tramp we contacted a local upholstery shop and they were able to order the needed mesh, bind the edges and install the grommets pretty reasonably. This does not mean you would not still have the problem of people rolling together on the surface. I doubt you could get it tight enough to prevent that and still be comfortable. Interested to see what you come up with.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    You could use the tramp netting with an amsteel (non-stretchy) ridge-line underneath to make it so people don't slide together.

Maybe use Seatbelts, if you have the time?

Weave seatbelts into a loose net, sew together on overlaps.. should be plenty strong and very little stretch.

Thanks everyone, I have a lot consider! Will try to remember to post an update if the project is successful!

• + New Posts