Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock

Just bought a Jungle Hammock

Hello,

I just bought a claytor jungle hammock, I'm going to be camping out all summer, pretty much alone, so I really want to get the right set-up going before I go. I saw the video by NEO on youtube, and thought the set-up looked great. But, it seems like he customized it a bit. I was wondering what I would need to get for a perfect, reliable set-up before I took it out into the woods. Basically, what does it come with that needs improving?

If anyone has this model, and has some really good tips, I would greatly appreciate them. Also, NEO, how can I go about getting those Snakeskins - or does anyone know where I can get snakeskins that would fit this model.

Great thanks for anyone's efforts in replying ahead of time. I'm a first timer, and really hoping for some good advice.

Thanks.

Oh, and here's the video to anyone interested:

Last edited by headchange4u; 05-21-2009 at 12:43. Reason: Embed video.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    GG 6mm Pad / DD UQ
    Hello and welcome to the forums,

I too have the Claytor JH the 1st thing I did is swap out the webbing for the ring / buckle set up.

You might want to consider getting a bigger tarp depending on the weather, but unless you get horizontal rain the standard one should be ok but with a bigger one you get more living/cooking space and a bit more wind protection, something to think about.

The skins I made myself using the pattern off Jeffs site as a guide but i just made them a couple of inches bigger as that pattern is just for a tarp, if you're no good with a sewing machine I think the No.4 Hennessy one will fit, maybe someone else will confirm it or ask a nice person to whip some up for you, they're really not that difficult, i'd never used a machine before and sorted them out no problem and very satisfying to know i did them myself.

You'll also need some sort of insulation, either a closed cell foam pad between the layers, thermarest or better still an underquilt. There's loads of info on hear about the different set up, cost etc.

That's about it really and i'm sure some others will chime in with anything i've forgot but just keep looking through the posts and you'll get the "hang" of it.

rdm

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I love my JH, but I did a few mods. It's an awesome hammock, but I didn't like the way the netting is supposed to have it's own lines running to the tree. I added a full length ridgeline under the tarp that is attached with kleimheist hitches. (prusiks work too) so I can leave the line slack under the tarp, and on that ridgeline I pit two prusik loops w/ a loop of the elastic cord attached to them. I just clip my net up to those elastic loops and spread the prusiks toward the tarp ends to lift the net. ** The elastic loops aren't shown in the pictures because they came later...after my netting got ripped by a prankster I also added ring buckles with carabiners on the ends. Just throw the 'biner around the tree, clip it and tighten the strap. I use the stock strap with the ring buckes. I added ring buckles to my wifes hammock and to a friends. The webbing I got from REI is slicker than the Claytor strap so you have got to make your you put a knot behind it. I think it's wise to do that anyway, so maybe not that big a deal.

I think the stock Claytor 13 x 10 diamond is a fine tarp for hanging one hammock. If-....WHEN you realize you can hang year round, you want more tarp. I like bigger tarps, but the stock tarp is by no means not adequate for summer camping.

~Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Claytor JH Rocks!

You might want to consider arrow shaft spreader bars. Just a thought. A stick works great though!

Install your pad then flip your hammock upside down when a bug-net is not necessary. (winter months)

You might want to have something like a piece of plastic to put your gear on if you are in a swamp!

Don't put anything to heavy in the inside pocket. It will hang down and touch you while you are trying to sleep. Bothers me......

Don't hang it to tight, you might get some shoulder squeeze.

When you zip it up keep the zipper pulls where you can reach them easily. You might want to stick an arm out to grab a water bottle. If you sleep with the water bottle in your hammock, it will end up under your butt. Along with anything else that you have in the hammock. Cell phone, camera, head lamp ect...

Invest in some Fig9's for your tarp.

And Have Fun!!!

-Sir Rice A-Lot.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    welcome to the claytor clanneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock

Awesome feedback. Great Pics.

Hey, thank you all for taking your time to give some great feedback, and post images. Awesome suggestions, and I'll be sure to use them. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

How goes it?

Quote Originally Posted by RadBrad View Post
    Hey, thank you all for taking your time to give some great feedback, and post images. Awesome suggestions, and I'll be sure to use them. Thanks again.
    So have you had a chance to set yours up and test it out?
    Post some pics and tell us about it!

-Sir Gravy

Images
    I made a gear bag as per jeff's instructions.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...atid=favorites

And a "weathershield" for cooler weather:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...atid=favorites

The nice thing about the weathershield is that I can leave it at home for summer trips.

the gear bag is a great convienence. Keeps everything I might need, including my rubber waterproof slipons, close at hand, dry, and out of the hammock.

• + New Posts