Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

FL>LWRSF>Feb 21-23, 2014>3rd Annual Sherpa Hang

Ok folks... it's that time again. I have the Creekside camp site reserved for the weekend after Valentines weekend (Feb 21-23). It's the same deal as the previous two years.

For those that don't know about the hang the important parts are:
    • The state forest entrance fee is $2/person/day and you need to fill out the pay stub and attach the tear off portion to your rear view mirror on your car so that law enforcement knows that you belong there.
    • Bring food, cooking gear, charcoal, or firewood (try to coordinate with folks in this planning thread so that we don't have 20 bags of charcoal and no eggs ) or all four
    • The hike into the site is about a mile and a half or a bit more depending on which path you take in. It's an easy hike and most folks do multiple trips to bring all of their junk in.
    • There are lots of sites that are available but you might need to spread out a bit
    • Pets are sort of welcome but they must be on a leash at all times and you need to remember that there are poisonous snakes (we had a pygmy rattler in the main camp area near the fire ring in the first year), wild hogs, bears that are routinely seen within a mile of the site, and a FL panther has been seen within a half mile of the camp site... plus gators in the creek
    • There is all the water you can drink... that's why the site is called "creekside"
    • There will probably be a hike of some sort on Saturday
    • If you want to kayak/canoe down the creek from the parking area it will be about an hour and is a very nice paddle. When you are ready to leave you can continue out to Lake Arbuckle and head north up to the county boat ramp and we can help shuttle a vehicle for you. The entire trip from parking to boat ramp is only about 4-5 hours max but you are obviously welcome to explore on the lake too while you're out there.

The one thing to remember is that there are LOTS of BIG gators in the lake (it is 98% undeveloped natural areas) and it also gets very rough if there is a wind blowing out of the east. You should be a fairly confident intermediate paddler to do the trip just in case the weather gets bad. Trees are also always falling into the creek so there will be several tough spots and portages through muck and thick vegetation.

I think most of the information is available from the previous threads here. If you have questions just ask.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out there early on Friday the 21st but if I can't get off of work then I should start hiking in by about 5:30 if anyone is unsure of the hike in and wants to tag along. There is usually a group that heads in early on Friday... I think 11 is an average depart time for them.

Hopefully we'll get some cooler weather this year... or at least let's hope it isn't in the 90s again

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I'm there!!! So glad it doesn't fall on the same day as my fly fishing tournament this year! I'm ready for this. I didn't get enough hang time at FH4.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I'm in. Probably one of the noon or earlier arrivals on Friday. I'll be bringing Cheezy Bacon Grits for 2 breakfasts and 2 DO Desserts. The folding grill for a steak Friday evening and a bag of charcoal.

There seems to be a lot of interest by newcomers this years. Looking forward to seeing some new faces at the Sherpa Hang.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

FL>LWRSF>Feb 21-23, 2014>3rd Annual Sherpa Hang

I'm already there (in my mind)!
    I'll forget my gram weenie tendencies and bring lots of stuff because I know that lil'ricky will help me carry it on his multiple trips to the car!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable web
    I'm in!!! Anyone with good directions or map? FOUND GOGGLE DIRECTION https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rucks...33843&t=m&z=14

Would be GLAD to tag along early Friday with someone. They can help carry, did I say "they" I meant "I" can help carry.(Shy smile) (I don't know how to put the faces in on the message page.(shrug))

Chili coming for Saturday lunch and charcoal.
    Last edited by barich942; 01-25-2014 at 10:53. Reason: Added Goggle Directions link.

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can't wait will definitely be there.
    Olddog I will pick up the hot water pot there

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barich942 View Post
    I'm in!!! Anyone with good directions or map?

Would be GLAD to tag along early Friday with someone. They can help carry, did I say "they" I meant "I" can help carry.(Shy smile) (I don't know how to put the faces in on the message page.(shrug))

Chili coming for Saturday lunch and charcoal.
    The old planning thread should have everything that you need to get to the trailhead. Lilricky (or someone else) might have a gps track to get you out to the camp site.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm going to try for an early Friday afternoon arrival, but I'll get there at the latest by 5pm. See you guys there!
    Edit: Can't seem to come up with a GPS track to creekside, but the maps posted in last years thread will do nicely.
    Here's a Youtube video showing where we will be at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL1_M_4_z_I
    And here is a video of a hike on the Paula Dockery Trail, one of the ways to get to the Creekside camp with a few cameos of our very own Samsara! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwi5zRJslv4
    Last edited by lilricky; 01-25-2014 at 11:43.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I would like to come. Since I lack the skills necessary to create wonderful food over the fire, I would like to bring materials required to accomplish this. Therefore, if any of you would like me to bring something let me know, last year I brought a sizable load of onions.

On another note I have created a crude map for everyone’s reference, attached below. It is important to note that this is a reference map only! Do not use this map if your life depends upon it!

A few things of note when interpreting the map:

A straight blue trail exists that shares the same trail head as the orange trail, so it would not be hard to find. It heads straight north east to link up with the orange trail. Since I lack the GIS data for the trail, it is not included. I also ommited a symbol key so the map would fit on the page and be usable.

The bright blue trail seen is the paddling trail, it ends at a county park on the north end of Lake Arbuckle. On the right you will see the Creek Side campsite marker, on the main trail there is a sign pointing the way.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    camo diamond fly
    Insulation
    hammock gear 3-sea
    Suspension
    wbbb stock set up
    Gameboy and I should be there around 5:00 Friday. What do y'all need me to bring? We're already excited.
    SPECIALK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast