Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps

I got my BlackBird...

I got home today and there was a great surprise waiting. I had ordered from Brandon a Blackbird, Yeti and a Superfly tarp. All three were waiting for me and I quickly grabbed them and headed out to the park for my first setup. This short time with my new kit has brought on a quick review and a couple of questions.

BlackBird: This is one amazingly comfortable hammock. I purchased the 1.7 double and loved that decision. The hammock went up very quickly and the construction seems great. My only issue so far is the zipper seems a little glitchy. If I didn't hold the zipper just right it wouldn't move smoothly.

Yeti: Wow is this thing easy to set up. I obviously don't know how warm it is yet but I will keep you in the loop.

Superfly: Here we reach my only disappointment. This tarp didn't come with any cord, so I couldn't set it up. After I figure out how much and what type of cord to buy Ill let you know my thoughts.

Now the questions. Can anyone tell me how much cord, what type and where do I attach it on the Tarp?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorethian View Post
    BlackBird: My only issue so far is the zipper seems a little glitchy. If I didn't hold the zipper just right it wouldn't move smoothly.
    Yes, I have the same problem with both on my BB's. I have found that it is because of the excess fabric between the netting and the zipper. If you grab the material behind the zipper and pull then it will zip properly. I have tried pulling the tie outs tighter and it does not help. If anyone knows of a solution please let me know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Superfly: Here we reach my only disappointment. This tarp didn't come with any cord, so I couldn't set it up. After I figure out how much and what type of cord to buy Ill let you know my thoughts.

Now the questions. Can anyone tell me how much cord, what type and where do I attach it on the Tarp?
    Some folks here use mason line, which you can get at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. fairly cheap. I bought a roll (100 feet for $3, IIRC), but haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you much about how well it works. Make sure to get the braided line, not the twisted stuff, or it will unravel on you.

I have the exact same setup as you except that my BB is 1.1 double and my tarp is the mambajamba (superfly with no doors). I got my line from brandon too... he has some really top shelf dyneema stuff, and it's awesome but pricey. I cut 10' for each ridgeline, 5' for each corner, and a 30' piece for the panel pulls on each side. I use one piece of line for both panel pulls and loop them around one stake. This info is all on brandon's site, it's just difficult to find.

I wish I would have cut the corners on one side longer. 5 feet is plenty for staking it to the ground, but if you want a "porch" it doesn't leave much room to play with. You can cut different lengths and play around with that mason line... it's cheap. I'm not in any hurry to buy more of the dyneema at $16/100 feet. I think I'm going to make two additional corner lines from my mason stuff to try out a taller porch.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    well as a diver I can tell you that I use a product called Zipper tech on all my Dry Suit's zippers and I use it on things like hammocks,gun cases,and such and it works real good for those zippers that don't want to run right.

Edit: it looks like a chapstick tube and has about the same consistency as it maybe a little softer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    ...gun cases
    You're not allowed to have those!!! You live in IL!!!

just a little joshin' from someone who still has IL plates but escaped the state.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    well as a diver I can tell you that I use a product called Zipper tech on all my Dry Suit's zippers and I use it on things like hammocks,gun cases,and such and it works real good for those zippers that don't want to run right.

Edit: it looks like a chapstick tube and has about the same consistency as it maybe a little softer.
    I put Zip Tech and zipper pulls on all my gear before it's ever used. The lubricant keeps the zippers gliding smoothly and the pulls make them so much easier to use.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another fan of the Zip Tech!

Congrats on your 'cool kid' set-up! I use either Mason Line (yellow) or Speer's No Tangle for my ground tie-outs. I carry a bit more length than most people, (I like options) so I have about 9' or 10' on each tie-out. I use it for 'extra' line around camp so the lengths vary depending on how long it's been on the tarp. On the ridge tie-outs I use the cheapo nylon utility cord; same length as my suspension...maybe a touch longer.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    you'll probably still have to use 2 hands when going around the corner where the tieouts are. i don't even think about this, but that's what i do.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    BlackBird: This is one amazingly comfortable hammock. ... My only issue so far is the zipper seems a little glitchy. If I didn't hold the zipper just right it wouldn't move smoothly.
    Zipper works fine on my BB - I've had it out a few times for day hangs and out twice for over night. Well one over night with me in it. My son claimed it on the second night , his first night out.

I also don't have any issues with finding the pull tab in the dark - I just pull the two tabs to meet at the short section of sewn cloth at the middle of the double layer - easy enough to find the pocket opening and follow it to the sewn section and easily find the pull tabs.

D

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    You're not allowed to have those!!! You live in IL!!!

just a little joshin' from someone who still has IL plates but escaped the state.
    that is just it in IL everything has to be cased. I am about a mile from ky as the crow flies and an hr from MO and about the same from IN so unless I plan on going up north I don't worry much in fact I am going to get my MO ccw and Utah ccw very soon I have a Pennsylvania one now but I want more state with the kind of work I do.

And just so this is about hammocks yes I carry in my hammock as well...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast