Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt choice

Greetings All: This is my first post. I have an BB on order along with a Spinn verson MacCat deluxe. I am now deciding on an underquilt. I have done much lurking on these pages and think either the Yeti 3 season or the quilt done by mikenfhaz look really good. I'm only 5'2 so these quilts would be more than "2/3" for me. I consider myself a very cold sleeper: I have used my WM megalite indoors sometimes as a quilt, but also sometimes in the bag and been quite comfortable! It appears mike's quilts are a bit longer and wider, with 7oz fill vs. Brandon's 40x46 and 6-6.5 oz of down. Pretty close, but then for a cold sleeper, every oz might matter. What comments do you all have to offer on these two apparently fine products? Oh, and I'm not a good gear "fiddler" which is why I try to get the simplest and best I can save up for. Any opinions as to ease of set up of these would be appreciated. I live and camp out mostly in the White Mts (NH). Thanks. Pong

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    what temps do you intend to sleep in? my quilt is good to about 32° (2.5" loft) for most.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Re: Underquilt choice

Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    I have an BB on order along with a Spinn verson MacCat deluxe .... I live and camp out mostly in the White Mts (NH).
    Hi Pong, I too just ordered a Blackbird and my MacCat Spinn tarp just arrived last week. We are probably the newest "club" members!

I live in Florida but I have a place just outside Conway, NH and spend most of my vacations in the White Mountains through all seasons of the year. I was hoping to someday retire up there in the foreseeable future, but the economy is messing up my plans.

Cheers.

Mike: Thanks for the feedback on general temp. rating for your UQ. I hike and backpack year round, but I expect to use the hammock late spring through fall. Weather around here can be pretty chilly (overnight low of 24F night before last-though that's unusual for this time of year). I'm trying for the lightest weight that will keep me warm enough (of course). I know temp ratings are very personal so I was hoping to hear from users who sleep colder than most. It seems like lots of the comments come from the warm sleepers!! Also, hoping for comments about the degree of complexity (or not) in setting up the UQs: Mike's vs. Yeti. MAD777: I'm almost a neighbor, living northwest of Berlin. Maybe we'll run into each other hanging out in the Whites. Good luck with your new setup. Pong

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Can't go wrong with the 3-season Yeti. It is after all designed to go with the Blackbird. I've had mine down to about 32 degrees and it was adequately warm without any cold spots or CBS.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    ... the quilt done by mikenfhaz look really good. I'm only 5'2 so these quilts would be more than "2/3" for me. I consider myself a very cold sleeper: I have used my WM megalite indoors sometimes as a quilt, but also sometimes in the bag and been quite comfortable! It appears mike's quilts are a bit longer and wider, with 7oz fill vs. Brandon's 40x46 and 6-6.5 oz of down. Pretty close, but then for a cold sleeper, every oz might matter. What comments do you all have to offer ...
    I just returned from a three-night trip on the AT in NC (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8681) using the UQ from mikeinfhaz, first trip out with that UQ, and it was perfect for me. The lowest temp we had was about 40 (dropped below freezing the night after we got back), with heavy rain two of three nights. I am a medium-cold sleeper, and in addition to the UQ had a CCF sit pad under my legs. Used a JRB No-Sniv for an overquilt. Warm as toast the whole time. I would have been fine at least 10 degrees colder, maybe more. I am 6'3" so the dimensions of Mike's UQ were a consideration for me--the fit was fine. I also find the quality of Mike's work to be excellent. I have no experience with the other UQ, but I am happy with mine.

Images
    Greetings All: This is my first post. I have an BB on order along with a Spinn verson MacCat deluxe. I am now deciding on an underquilt. I have done much lurking on these pages and think either the Yeti 3 season or the quilt done by mikenfhaz look really good. I'm only 5'2 so these quilts would be more than "2/3" for me. I consider myself a very cold sleeper: I have used my WM megalite indoors sometimes as a quilt, but also sometimes in the bag and been quite comfortable! ......... Pong
    WOW! You better get some thing rated for 10 or 20* lower than you intend to take it, at least! I would burn up trying to use that bag in my house. My wife has tried to add a few down comforters to our bed over the years, and I could not take it- too hot! But when it comes to outdoors, I find that I can take most high quality gear a bit lower than it is rated, but a bit less able to exceed the ratings every year.

What kind of temps have you been able to be comfy in with that Megalite?

Welcome to the HF!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-20-2009 at 20:33.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I haven't used one of mikeinfhaz's quilts yet (I'm gonna have to do something about that) so I can't speak to them, but the Yeti is my most favorite of UQs. Yes, I'm a warm sleeper, but most people are very surprised how warm so little can keep them. I suspect the same would hold true for mikeinfhaz's quilts. Get one and try it, that's the only way you'll ever know. They don't seem to be very hard to sell on the secondary market if you decide it doesn't work for you.

I've been in the 24F range with the current 3-season Yeti design. Well, not the most current. The one I was using didn't come with the removable reflective liner. That would get me to the teens I'm pretty sure.
    Trust nobody!

Thank you for your comments. It sounds like either of the quilts would work well for me. I probably would be absolutely warm with the MW3 for summer, but I hate the thought of an extra 1/2#. I use the gear almost exclusively backpacking. I'm already increasing my carry weight (& of course my comfort) by going over to the hammock rig. Can any of you tell me about the set up for the Yeti and mikeinfhaz? If they are about the same ease of use, I may go with the Yeti as it's made for the BB, is a bit lighter, and cheaper by a few $$. I look forward to hearing about ease of use if you can enlighten me a bit. Thanks. Pong

Oh, I forget to tell BillyBob: I've slept with temps in the low 40's with my Megalite. I use either a silk liner (for warmer weather) or a polypro liner when it's chilly. The polypro extends the warms a good little bit for the cost of about 12oz I think. It's weird that I can sleep in that bag outside and be comfy, but also can use it in the house too! I also have a 10*F rated WM and a PUMA which is rated to -10*F. Wish I slept warm! Pong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast