WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

question about velcro and bugnet

Hey guys, I am using a speer hammock, complete with velcro on the edges of the bug net. I have 2 questions............1. how do I keep the velcro from catching on the net and damaging/distorting it? 2.once this happens, is there any way to restore the net to its origional condition/function? I have several places on my bug net that the velcro has caught on and distorted the net. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Well, once the net is gone it's never going to go back to what it was, but you could try sewing two patches of a non-net fabric as a sandwich around the hole?

Just maybe? I'm not a sewing expert.

Thanks for the heads up- I'm going to think of an alternative to velcro for my DIY bug net.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    1. how do I keep the velcro from catching on the net and damaging/distorting it? 2.once this happens, is there any way to restore the net to its origional condition?
    Always put the two sides of your velcro together before you roll up the hammock. Pay attention where the "hook" side of the velcro is when you're using the netting. And for the messed up netting, if it's just pulled, try gently trying to work the threads back into place. If it's got a hole & IF you have a really tiny needle (old timey quilting needles) you can try weaving thread across the hole. You can also just sew it with a sewing machine but that will cause a puckerd spot at that location. It's most likely never gonna go back into it's original condition.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the advice-------I was pretty upset about the whole thing---I just got done sewing it together (and it looked great!) And then when rolled it up it snagged on the velcro. I will try your thread and needle idea, and it will work fine for this summer. (the bugs arnt very bad in this part of Ga! ) I will probably make a new one next winter. Thats one of the things I like about the speer-------its modular, so its not that big of a deal to replace the bug net some time in the future! Thanks again for the advice!

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    Stevebo, soaking the bugnet in hot water goes a long way to relaxing the fibers & removing the distortions caused by the hook on the velcro. I found this out after washing the hammock & bugnet--always use a front loading tumbler washing machine & leave the bugnet attached to the hammock; put the long webbing straps inside the hammock where they can't get caught on anything inside the washing machine. Generally the picking by the velcro is only cosmetic & doesn't prevent the bugnet from working, so I don't worry about it until the hammock itself needs washing. Otherwise, the velcro does it's job well & never fails. As a test, I used one of my hammocks for over 5,000hours over a period of several years before it failed due to sun rot of the fabric--during that time, the velcro never failed to work.
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NotToWorry View Post
    Stevebo, soaking the bugnet in hot water goes a long way to relaxing the fibers & removing the distortions caused by the hook on the velcro. I found this out after washing the hammock & bugnet--always use a front loading tumbler washing machine & leave the bugnet attached to the hammock; put the long webbing straps inside the hammock where they can't get caught on anything inside the washing machine. Generally the picking by the velcro is only cosmetic & doesn't prevent the bugnet from working, so I don't worry about it until the hammock itself needs washing. Otherwise, the velcro does it's job well & never fails. As a test, I used one of my hammocks for over 5,000hours over a period of several years before it failed due to sun rot of the fabric--during that time, the velcro never failed to work.
    Awesome advice...never thought of it! Thanks Ed
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the idea Ed! Are you saying to set the washer on hot? I took a small scrap of netting, ran velcro over it, messed up the grid and threw it into the wash to see what would happen. It didnt do much, but, I think I had the water temp set on medium. Will hot water damage the hammock body fabric? Thanks for the idea!

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thanks for the idea Ed! Are you saying to set the washer on hot? I took a small scrap of netting, ran velcro over it, messed up the grid and threw it into the wash to see what would happen. It didnt do much, but, I think I had the water temp set on medium. Will hot water damage the hammock body fabric? Thanks for the idea!
    No, hot wash water shouldn't hurt the hammock or bugnet. Perhaps soap & lots of tumble action also helps. Boiling hot water might cause damage, so as long as you can put your hand in the water, it's probably OK.
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Having grown up in Wisconsin -- skeeter paradise -- my heart goes out to all of you who serve as skeeter food. I've had a Speer for a year and a half and have not yet had to deploy my bug net -- even in the summer the evenings have been cool enough to keep the skeeters at bay. Plus, there just aren't that many of them out here to begin with. They must find the frequent cloud cover in western Washington to be too depressing.

FarStar

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If the netting opens up, or is torn, a tiny dab of silicone makes an effective repair.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts