Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

SC- Palmetto State Hangers Frozen Butt Hang

Lots of fun, lots of folks, and lots of cold (for South Carolina, anyway).

I got to the Sesquicentennial State Park in Columbia, SC Friday afternoon, and several people were there already as the event officially kicked off Thursday - a night which got down to a reported 13*. Unheard of. Even at our first Frozen Butt last year, it only got down to 31*.

I'm not sure anybody expected that.

Friday evening was met with about 20 of us hitting up Little Pigs Barbecue near the park, working on a good case of the meat sweats and food comas. As usual the food was fantastic and the "chocolate sex" was worth fighting over.

Friday night also marked the arrival of Matthew, the "Chief Hammock Officer" of The Elevated Movement, a company I've mentioned here before that is starting up to specialize in 100% recycled material hammocks with suspensions that boast printed designs. I got an exclusive first look (right here), but for those of you who are ecologically minded and are into saving the environment, you'll want to check that out.

The fire was hot and several members (read: a majority of members) had a touch of the homemade antifreeze in 'em, and we sat around the campfire trying not to freeze to death with pallets that OC_Looper brought in. They bloody well worked, too! Pudden regaled us with tales of the eerie and spooky ghosties of South Carolina and the surrounding areas.

I slept well into Saturday, so breakfast wasn't a thing I experienced. It was my first weekend away from the new baby (nicknamed "Sequel" by PSH members), so I took FULL advantage of not having to listen for a baby monitor! 11:00am rolled around, so I rolled out of the hammock in all my layers to go check out Get Your Gear On, a local establishment that specializes in second-hand outdoor and camping gear. Lots of selection, good prices, and they'll haggle...plus they let us in despite the fact that they were closed for inventory. Check 'em out if you're in Columbia.

Field trip over, back to camp to get ready for the pot luck supper. Vegetable stew, Cowboy Chili, chicken pot pie, and cobbler were just a few of the tasties offered for our masticating pleasure that night and it was well worth the feeling of being overfull. I tell you what, when PSH get together to camp we sure do eat good!

One of the Rangers stopped by to shoot the breeze for a while, and handed off a business card. It was for the Park Interpretive Ranger (who organizes park sponsored events), who invited us to do a demonstration for disadvantaged families interested in getting involved with camping. The park provides tents (for now...) to the families and teaches them to basically camp - cook over a fire, hike, fish, etc...and now, HAMMOCK CAMP! Hopefully, be looking forward to that trip report in April...if all goes well, it'll prove to be a good one.

Another (considerably more sedate) night was had around the campfire as a touch of the antifreeze made its way around before we headed on in to bed.

Of course, Sunday morning sucked 'cause we all had to go home but breakfast was mighty fine - leftover vegetable soup and biscuits 'n gravy from IT_Mike and German Girl were had in the dutch ovens before we all sat around to avoid breaking camp before we see each other anon.

Miss you guys already!
    Last edited by Gresh; 01-27-2014 at 14:50.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    I had a great time.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Last year got to 22*
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Awesome report Gresh. I look forward to more input from others, and of course the photos or it didn't happen.

That does seem pretty darn cold for South Carolina. I've been watching the weather in the central and eastern US to marvel at how much colder it is everywhere that is not the Pacific Northwest. Our snow pack is well behind, and our temps have been milder than normal.

Sounds like the camaraderie was top notch, the hooch kept the blood from freezing and pallets were in ample supply so that the bonfire could be seen from deep in space. Now that is what I call group camping!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    BTW the vegetable soup was Baja's, leftover from the pot luck the night before. It was chock full of venison and tasted great.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Hey guys sounds like it was a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it hope I can make the next one. I am in Tennessee dad just went into surgery pray for him.until later
    Jeff

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Jeff, we will be praying for him.

Great hang as always with the PSH. It was awesome hanging with friends again, and making some new ones. I love the hammocks Matt brought and can't wait for the kick start.
    Wish Rev and GroundHog could have stayed with us, missed you all. Also missed Cowboy, and hope to see you at the next one.
    Thank you all for the great fun, food, anti-freeze, and warm fireside craziness. Also, I loved Shutter's checkered onesy.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps

It was very cold and very excellent

Frozen Butt was great. Good report Gresh!

And, CORSETS!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudden View Post
    Frozen Butt was great. Good report Gresh!

And, CORSETS!

LMAO!!!!!!! Yes CORSETS!!!!

You had to be there...
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sounds like a good time. Thought about you guys while driving by to and from a trip to visit daughter in Oklahoma
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast