Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What about side sleepers?

First I apologies if this has been asked and answered and I have missed it. I am not as dull as I have been but I am getting older so I am not always so bright anymore either. SO back to the question. What about side sleepers. Any advice? Any recommendations on hammocks or techniques, add-on's or what ever else is needed. The last time I was in a hammock it was one built for one but with two of us and it did not last long. We both came down with a thud, a laugh and a giggle. But seriously I am a side sleeper and new to hammocks camping. I would like to be able to comfortable sleep on my side. Is that possible? Thank you in advance.
    ~The Lostman

Images
    I swap between being on my back to my side quite often and have done so comfortably in a range of gathered end hammocks.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMc View Post
    I swap between being on my back to my side quite often and have done so comfortably in a range of gathered end hammocks.
    Same here I sleep both ways without any issue. just being in a hammock is comfy.
    TDHanger

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Some have no trouble side sleeping, others can't do it. Some can do it in a gathered end, some can only do it in a bridge. I can do it in a gathered end but strangely, since I've started sleeping in hammocks I slowly progressed to sleeping on my back. Normally I side sleep and toss and turn. Now whenever I'm in my hammock I sleep on my back with little to no movement. Still sleep on my side at home though.

Pretty much everything related to hammocks is a personal thing. What works for one won't work for another. Your best bet is to just hop in a hammock and see what happens.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    If smaller gathered end hammock still not works for side sleeping, try a bigger good ole Brazilian hammock, but eventually You'll soon adapt sleeping on the back in hammock. Had been side sleeper on the beds but hammock did wonders for me and I often not moving at all till have to get and go.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I only side sleep and find that it's no problem at all in a typical gathered end hammock. The only one that gave me problems was a Warbonnet Blackbird (not a typical gathered end) where I could sleep great on one side but couldn't turn to the other side.

I haven't tried a bridge hammock, but they tell me most folks can side sleep as long as they don't bring their knees up into a fetal position.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am still searching for the answer to this. I started with a bridge hammock, WBRR, awesome hammock but I could not make the side thing work. I know, I know, you can't make the bridge hammock work? Yeah, the way I lay with my arm tucked under it just can't work.

I ordered the WBBB XLC on Jan. 3 and I can't wait til it gets here. I hope this will solve my side sleeping problems but I am skeptical. I really want the hammock thing to work for me. My BA system that I was using on the ground was very comfy, I just want to hang.

If and when I go back to the ground I am going to stay here because this site is awesome and I love the people. Good luck with your question. If I have the results I am hoping for I will post on the site.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I sleep both on my back and on my side (both sides, but more on my left side). I find my SLD Streamliner, with the cat cut sides and the curved ends, allows me a great side sleep or back sleep.

Note: I have a DL (don't carry a UQ) and put a cheap blue CCF between the layers. Don't know i that affects my lay or not, but the result is very nice. Also, my Streamliner is 11'.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I will agree with Five that a BA system is awesome - I'm also a convert from BA stuff (and that ain't easy). Not sure what the point of that statement was, but thought I'd plug BA anyway...
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a HH Explorer Deluxe and a HH Expedition both of which I side sleep in with no issues at all. I also have an 11' I made and can side sleep in it.

My ENO double is another bear all together and I can not seem to get comfortable on my side in it no matter how hard I try.

Just like hammocks not every hammock works for every user and not every person can side sleep in every hammock. I have found that using a hammock has been a journey of trial and error for me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Like a couple of the others above, I am a side-sleeper in a bed. In my bridge hammock, though, I sleep the night through on my back. Not saying that you need a bridge, just that hammocks are so comfy it might not be an issue for you!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast